ROH Spring Period booking 2014-15

After quite a few booking day meltdowns and fiascos it appears this morning's booking also had problems - HOWEVER it was to do with something which caused the whole building to be evacuated. I was told this by booking office staff when picking tickets up just now - they were surprised I had been able to book them without trouble so early into the booking process this am. I thought I would post this in case others had problems and perhaps to reduce complaints which of course in the past have been more than justified. Seems this may not have been anything to do with the 'system'. ROH seemingly all fine and open as usual by the way . . . no idea what the drama was.

Friends package booking today- we were emailed that we could not book online and would have  to phone, so it was back to the bad old days of hanging on the phone for hours. There was no music while you wait either! The process has been so smooth recently, for me anyway, that this was disappointing- also harder to ask for what you want, and I only got a rough approximation of it in the end.

Shame.

I felt sorry for the- always excellent- ROH box office staff.

Edited by Mary

Yesterday was Period 3 (Spring) booking for Basic Friends.  Very quick and smooth.  No problems at all , apart from the lack of Stalls Circle Standing, or anything cheap for that matter, for the Four Ts mixed bill.   Not exactly a novel situation and I was delighted to get SCS for two casts of Fille!

Just received via e-mail to all Friends of Covent Garden

We apologise profusely for the failure of the website this morning. We recently installed necessary upgrades to the booking system, but despite extensive testing, today’s online booking exposed flaws in this upgrade which has affected the whole website. We have been working hard to rectify the problem.

We have now made some changes to the website booking system and you can now book tickets.

Thank you again for your continued support, patience and understanding.

Alex Beard
Chief Executive

I had one batch of tickets in my basket early on and (fortunately) decided to complete the purchase of those as the site was behaving strangely.  Then went back to book for another production.  Found my basket still had two items in it.... two separate donations of £3.00!  Cleared it and then tried to make my new booking and for every pair of seats I selected was told they were not available.  Managed to keep going and finally looked in my basket again and found that it contained all four of the sets that "weren't available" - cleared the spares and tried to complete the purchase, by which time system was shut down.  Contrary to what Alex beard says above I certainly didn't get any message that the site was up again but luckily I did try again later on and amazingly I could select and buy the seats I had lost the first time round!

It's annoying that all the priority allocation of Insight tickets has gone by the time the lower levels of friends get a chance!

So the predictions of doom from the Box Office staff in November have unfortunately proved to be spot on. What a terrible shame for all the Friends seeking to book opera tickets today.

So why did it only happen today?  Is there much greater demand for opera than for ballet?

So why did it only happen today?  Is there much greater demand for opera than for ballet?

It didn't only happen today- it didn't work for Friends packages last week.

I wonder whether booking packages is now more popular as you can make up your own and only need 2 productions,  so most ballet fans will want them...hence more demand, and it is more complex with many different options, so the system is suffering under the strain...

• 1 month later...

HORROR STORY ....  Tell me, did anyone get ANY Tickets .... I gave up of frustration after a bit - with only four tickets in my basket ... and they wouldn't even let me check out .... I printed off a copy of my basket ... Think I'm going to insist that they honour it ...

Edited by Bruce Wall

a new message - for the techies...  :-)

Server Error in '/' Application.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The request failed with HTTP status 503: Service Unavailable: Back-end server is at capacity.
Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.Net.WebException: The request failed with HTTP status 503: Service Unavailable: Back-end server is at capacity.

Source Error:

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.

Stack Trace:

[WebException: The request failed with HTTP status 503: Service Unavailable: Back-end server is at capacity.]
   System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHttpClientProtocol.ReadResponse(SoapClientMessage message, WebResponse response, Stream responseStream, Boolean asyncCall) +733994
   System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHttpClientProtocol.Invoke(String methodName, Object[] parameters

Well, isn't that charming ... I got something even more decorative ... with just that little bit added for extra delight ...

Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code. 

Exception Details: System.Net.WebException: The request failed with HTTP status 503: Service Unavailable: Back-end server is at capacity.

Source Error: 

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.

Stack Trace: 

[WebException: The request failed with HTTP status 503: Service Unavailable: Back-end server is at capacity.]
System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHttpClientProtocol.ReadResponse(SoapClientMessage message, WebResponse response, Stream responseStream, Boolean asyncCall) +733994
System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHttpClientProtocol.Invoke(String methodName, Object[] parameters) +345
RoyalOperaHouse.Tessitura.Services.Tessitura.Invoke(String methodName, Object[] parameters) +105
RoyalOperaHouse.Tessitura.Services.Tessitura.GetPerformanceDetailEx(Int32 iPerf_no, Int16 iModeOfSale, String sContentType) +165
RoyalOperaHouse.Tessitura.Catalog.TessituraCatalogService.GetPerformanceInternal(Int32 performanceId, Int32 modeOfSale, Int32 sourceNumber) +755
RoyalOperaHouse.Data.CacheExtensions.Execute(ICache cache, String key, Func`1 builder, TimeSpan length) +151
RoyalOperaHouse.Data.CacheExtensions.Execute(ICache cache, String keyBase, Func`4 builder, T1 arg1, T2 arg2, T3 arg3, TimeSpan length) +430
RoyalOperaHouse.Tessitura.Catalog.TessituraCatalogService.GetPerformance(Int32 performanceId, Nullable`1 modeOfSale, Nullable`1 sourceNumber) +291
RoyalOperaHouse.Tessitura.Catalog.TessituraCatalogService.GetPerformance(Int32 performanceId) +251
RoyalOperaHouse.Site.Controllers.CatalogController.Reserve(Int32 id, Nullable`1 packageId, Nullable`1 groupNo) +50
lambda_method(Closure , ControllerBase , Object[] ) +198
System.Web.Mvc.ReflectedActionDescriptor.Execute(ControllerContext controllerContext, IDictionary`2 parameters) +248
System.Web.Mvc.ControllerActionInvoker.InvokeActionMethod(ControllerContext controllerContext, ActionDescriptor actionDescriptor, IDictionary`2 parameters) +39
System.Web.Mvc.Async.<>c__DisplayClass39.<BeginInvokeActionMethodWithFilters>b__33() +120
System.Web.Mvc.Async.<>c__DisplayClass4f.<InvokeActionMethodFilterAsynchronously>b__49() +452
System.Web.Mvc.Async.<>c__DisplayClass4f.<InvokeActionMethodFilterAsynchronously>b__49() +452
System.Web.Mvc.Async.<>c__DisplayClass37.<BeginInvokeActionMethodWithFilters>b__36(IAsyncResult asyncResult) +15
System.Web.Mvc.Async.<>c__DisplayClass2a.<BeginInvokeAction>b__20() +31
System.Web.Mvc.Async.<>c__DisplayClass25.<BeginInvokeAction>b__22(IAsyncResult asyncResult) +230
System.Web.Mvc.<>c__DisplayClass1d.<BeginExecuteCore>b__18(IAsyncResult asyncResult) +28
System.Web.Mvc.Async.<>c__DisplayClass4.<MakeVoidDelegate>b__3(IAsyncResult ar) +15
System.Web.Mvc.Controller.EndExecuteCore(IAsyncResult asyncResult) +53
System.Web.Mvc.Async.<>c__DisplayClass4.<MakeVoidDelegate>b__3(IAsyncResult ar) +15
System.Web.Mvc.<>c__DisplayClass8.<BeginProcessRequest>b__3(IAsyncResult asyncResult) +42
System.Web.CallHandlerExecutionStep.System.Web.HttpApplication.IExecutionStep.Execute() +606
System.Web.HttpApplication.ExecuteStep(IExecutionStep step, Boolean& completedSynchronously) +288

Edited by Bruce Wall