Royal Ballet Summer School.

Miracle

Welcome Jackaroomom

I can't answer all qs as don't have a DS but I know the teachers teaching the boys will be suitably experienced. Most people here take photos with help of teacher for younger children.

Hope that helps....

• Replies 632
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello Jackaroomom. My dd was at White Lodge Summer School this year. There was approx 50 boys spread over 2 groups ( younger and older group) They were taught separately to the girls. My daughter said she only saw the boys at meal times. They stayed in the boys dormitories (same as girls) I had my daughters dance teacher watch and give corrections whilst I took the photos on a mobile phone. I hope this answers most of your questions. Welcome to the forum

Hi there, this is the first time I have used this sight. My daughter attended the RBS SS last week and loved it. I just wanted to check if anyone knows how the process goes for the assessment and if anyone knows when you might have an indication if they were interested in your child or not? Thanks. We are so unknowledgable on all this stuff so we have no clue what the process is. Thanks in advance.

Welcome to the Forum, Bobby Pin.

Hello, I am new to this board. I am from the US and my DS10 studies at Houston Ballet. He would like to apply to Royal Ballet's White Lodge summer program. I had a few questions for those of you whose children have been there: 

1. How many boys typically attend the summer program?

2. Are boys housed in a similar manner to the girls? Are their accommodations equivalent?

3. Are there any all boys classes? Do the boys attend all the same classes as the girls? 

4. Are the teachers used to working with boys?

5. Do we need to have a professional photographer take his pictures and maybe a teacher help position him?

Thank you so much in advance for your help!!

Welcome to the Forum, jackaroomom.

• 4 weeks later...

this is the first year we are considering international summer intensive.  submitting to rbs among others.  how soon are decisions made?  they don't have a decision date on their site.  rolling admission?  is there a date after which you can presumably be excluded (beyond first day of class, lol), in order to make other decisions?

Hello Arizona. Last year we received a first answer on January 30. My daughter was in waiting list.

In the middle of march we received a second letter saying that, after all the replies from students who were offered a place, my daughter was still out, but we could decide to remain in the waiting list. 

Next year, if we decide to apply and get into the waiting list again, I think after march we will look for different options because it was painful for my daughter to be hopeful until the very last moment.

• Like 2

Hello Arizona. Last year we received a first answer on January 30. My daughter was in waiting list.

In the middle of march we received a second letter saying that, after all the replies from students who were offered a place, my daughter was still out, but we could decide to remain in the waiting list. 

Next year, if we decide to apply and get into the waiting list again, I think after march we will look for different options because it was painful for my daughter to be hopeful until the very last moment.

We were in the same boat on this one & it really caused family upset as we kept that week free just in case the hallowed call from RBS came to say that there was a space. DH really wanted to use that week for the family holiday.& maybe we should've done....We did have luck getting selected for Elmhurst SS which being near the end of school hols didn't seem to clash with other SS options as much though at 3 days was really too short IMO. It looks as though they give majority of places to Foreign Applicants (it is an international SS after all) but I imagine that the wait list is most likely comprised of British based as logistically they would be most likely able to take up any last minute spaces not having the headache of needing to arrange visas/flights etc.

Have thought the thing to do is to apply for foreign courses for DC but sadly do not think funds or happy family support available for this! Will dutifully fill in form & hand over the £20 again this year though....!

Peanut we arrange our family holiday to take in dd at a European summer school. She has a week dancing whilst rest of family holiday near by, we then move on as a family for a few days together. Have meet other families doing the same. It has worked well so far and it is dd who feels she is missing out on sight seeing with rest of us.

• Like 2

Hello everybody, I have a weird question...Do you know since when the 2016 SI Form was active on the RBS web site?

A mother told me she already audictoned in July... :o

That's not how they do things, there is no audition for the summer school. It is all done from the applications + photos.

Perhaps someone attended last year and was invited back again?

Hello, I am new to this board. I am from the US and my DS10 studies at Houston Ballet. He would like to apply to Royal Ballet's White Lodge summer program. I had a few questions for those of you whose children have been there: 

1. How many boys typically attend the summer program?

2. Are boys housed in a similar manner to the girls? Are their accommodations equivalent?

3. Are there any all boys classes? Do the boys attend all the same classes as the girls? 

4. Are the teachers used to working with boys?

5. Do we need to have a professional photographer take his pictures and maybe a teacher help position him?

Thank you so much in advance for your help!!

Hi Jackaroomom i just saw your post from last month and thought I could give you some answers as my DS did WLSS in 2013, when he was 10. We were all a bit nervous as he had never been away from home before, though we were lucky as we have friends who live nearby so we stayed with them for the week he was there "just in case"! Anyway, it was all fine!

My son was a in the boys' block which is in the basement of WL - i think the girls accommodation is a bit more modern but the boys all seemed happy enough! He was in a room with about 4 or 5 other boys and there were another 5 or 6 in an adjacent room sharing shower/toilets.

He was taught in a boys' class, as another poster said there were probably 3 boys classes, less than the girls classes, I think there were two younger boys classes and one older boys. Id say maybe 60-70 boys in total? The teachers were great, they had a variety of different teachers during the week for different dance styles and at the final demonstration at the end of the week we got to see these. I was blown away! They all looked fabulous to me!

My DS barely had any contact with the girls during the week as they were all on separate schedules but he made lots of friends. Many of the students were from outside the UK. Some kids got homesick but the school seemed to handle that well. They were busy all the time with activities in the evening too - mostly fun stuff like bbq or walks in Richmond park or movie night.

We got his ballet teacher to position him for the photos and I took them. Seemed to work out ok! hope this helps!

That's not how they do things, there is no audition for the summer school. It is all done from the applications + photos.

Perhaps someone attended last year and was invited back again?

I mean she was audictioned by application form...this is impossible, the form is on line since September 18th! ;)

Speaking about SI application form, is it possible to apply for two weeks if you are 12 yo?

Not according to the RBS website - only those aged 14 can apply for two weeks.

Taxi, I think it's the case that 14 yr olds have to do the full 2 weeks, one week is not an option. Unless it has changed this year I think it is possible for 12 yr olds to apply for 2 weeks, or at least it used to be so.

I've just submitted my daughter's application for the 2016 summer school.  We live in Australia & on the final confirmation page it said that all international students who receive an offer of a place, need to name a guardian resident in the UK.  We don't know anyone in the UK so I was just wondering how we go about organising for someone to do this?  Is there any other international families who have had experience with this?  I know there's a high chance she won't get accepted & then I don't need to worry about it but I'd just like to have some idea on the off chance that she does get accepted.  Thanks :) 

I've just submitted my daughter's application for the 2016 summer school. We live in Australia & on the final confirmation page it said that all international students who receive an offer of a place, need to name a guardian resident in the UK. We don't know anyone in the UK so I was just wondering how we go about organising for someone to do this? Is there any other international families who have had experience with this? I know there's a high chance she won't get accepted & then I don't need to worry about it but I'd just like to have some idea on the off chance that she does get accepted. Thanks :) [/quote

If your dd gets a place were you intending to be in UK with her? If so I suspect you wouldn't need to arrange a guardian. If not the school will have details of guardians I'm sure.

Hello Midwifemel and welcome to the Forum.

If your dd gets a place were you intending to be in UK with her? If so I suspect you wouldn't need to arrange a guardian. If not the school will have details of guardians I'm sure.

Yes, I would come with her but the RBS website suggests that it needs to be a resident of the UK to be a guardian.  

Children from abroad who are at boarding school in UK (whether dance or general education) also need a guardian.  There are many reputable businesses set up for exactly this.  So if all else fails, I am sure one of these could be engaged on a short term contract.

I can certainly appreciate that it would be needed for international children that are attending schools (dance or academic) full-time but I thought that if I was staying in the UK with her for the 1 week she's at the summer school that it might not be needed.  Anyway, I'm probably worrying about nothing because chances are she won't be accepted in the first place.  I'm just a planner & like to have these sorts of things sorted in my own mind ;) 

I agree with Jane, if you are staying in UK, then there is not a problem.  It is just so that in case of accident or emergency there is someone in UK who is legally responsible for the child and can be reached quickly.  Obviously anyone over 18 doesn't need a guardian.

Great, thanks.  That definitely makes sense :) 

The deadline is approaching and we have to decide if applying for RBSS.. This year my daughter should apply for Covent Garden: she will be 15yo next summer.... In your experience, what is more difficult? being admitted to WL or to CG?

In addition, she is  worried at  the idea of staying by herself in London and going every day to the school (she never traveled alone before).

She wanted so much to go last year, which was the last residential at WL for her, but unfortunately it didn't work. Now I'm torn about whether to encourage het to apply or not....

My DD is a Covent Garden SA and in my experience they tend to travel together and are very safe generally speaking around Floral Street. I wouldn't worry too much about the safety aspects. The main thing is to watch for pick-pocketing.

Ease of getting in I am not so sure on. We were offered a place for the 2 week WL summer school last year but only from the waiting list. I am not sure if CG is harder to get in. I've always assumed it is but I don't know for sure.

Would imagine the accommodation will be the upper school boarding which by summer will be in Pimlico, bus or tube journey away or Jebson House which is a few minutes walk.

I don't think either SS is 'easy' to get into, if you are a bit of a gambler and can afford the application fee then worth applying and seeing what happens....as Floral says, they will all travel together so she wouldn't be alone

• 1 month later...

I sent in an application for the summer school in late November, but I haven't received a confirmation email that says I've applied. I was just worried because I had received one last year. Did everyone else get one? I've tried emailing them and I've checked all of my spam, junk, etc. on my parent's email.

Thank you.

Edited by Biscuit

My DD put in an application in September. I did not get any email confirmation other than one from PayPal about my payment to RBS. This is our first time applying and now I am concerned. I have sent an email to the summer school coordinator. I hope they received the application. I think we did everything correctly as at the end it told us we would be notified in February.