Royal Ballet Summer School.

Miracle

Ah I see! My girls have spent time in Covent Garden and around central London, staying with friends who regularly commute.  Make sure that your DD knows to stay with a group when she's out and she will be fine.  Hope she has a wonderful time  :)

• Replies 632
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

bluemountain, I think 7-day is a great option, but for zip oyster photocard you can apply  online and just get it at Gatwick (there are administration fee when you apply), but  it is a prepaid card so you have to charge with an approximately amount for the stay, or charge it when yoy need. If you want buy a 7 day travelcard you will need a photocard so you can get one in a rail stations (not underground stations) for free if you bring a Passport photo with you (well in this case your DS) . So I don´t know what to do in order to simplify my Dd arrival.

By the way, good to know that your DS is from Houston, my DD atended Houston Ballet academy summer intensive last year.

I´m sorry for my bad english :(

brenda, you Englishis just fine!

Ellie posted this link, you can pre-order the travel cards there as well: https://www.visitbritainshop.com/world/london-travelcard/ They can even ship them to US!

I am not from Houston though, I am from Boston. DS got into Houston's SI this summer, with a scholarship, but we kept him home. And now he is not disappointed :).

• 2 weeks later...

Hi! I'm new here. My ds is 10 and will be attending the second week at white lodge...he's obviously excited and a bit nervous! We are coming from Boston, Massachusetts. Are there any other boys that might like to email him beforehand so they have some connections?

• 5 weeks later...

Are you ready to start this new ballet adventure? My DD is super excited! :wub:

I'm printing the boarding passes right now.

Anyone is going to the Paris Opèra Summer School before the Royal Ballet? 

My DD will be there for two weeks.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Just 6 British girls in the group of girls doing two weeks. Such a wonderful mix of nationalities and a brilliant opportunity to see who will be competing with for post 16 places in vocational schools.

The little girl I know must have been taken out of school.

I personally wouldn't do it in year 6 because of leavers stuff but I wouldn't hesitate otherwi

DS is in CG. I so wish he could be more outspoken! All I get is a few short texts with 'fine' and 'ok'. :(  Does anybody know how strong are the boys this year, how many of the kids are from US? And how things are in general? 

I've only heard from my DD at WL and she says the foreign girls are amazing.  <y best guess is that applies to the boys at CG too  -_-   That said, clean technique wins the day 

Angel, no they won't sadly. they are really strict! She is doing literally nothing this week and next week, this time could have been spent doing these summer schools instead of watching films at school...

ENBS is an excellent alternative.  Just not in the beautiful studios and not residential.

• Like 1

Yes so does DD. However her school give out fines for any unauthorised absences and I can't afford it with everything else! She also took 5 GCSE's a year early, so there was no way they would let her have the time.

We must also think about if it happens that DD is successful in getting a job and we have to be realistic, a dance career is very short and she must have something to fall back on.

• Like 1

I hope your DD has enjoyed Paris Opèra Summer school vmmon.  Are you travelling straight to London from there?

Thanks angel! She loves the school and the classes! Very challenging SI. We will travel to London on sunday straight from Paris. Just a little shopping on saturday "dans l'apès-midi"  B)  :rolleyes:

Edited by vmmom
  • Like 1

Yes so does DD. However her school give out fines for any unauthorised absences and I can't afford it with everything else! She also took 5 GCSE's a year early, so there was no way they would let her have the time.

When my dd was at school, we never had this problem thankfully and her school never treated it as unauthorised absence at all. It would be on the register as 'approved sporting activity' or 'educated offsite'.

If your dd was able to take 5 GCSE's a year early, then she is doing very well academically, so they can't very well use the 'not keeping up with schoolwork' getout excuse for not authorising it.

I don't understand why the school would say it was unauthorised. Did they ever tell you why they wouldn't authorise it? You didn't ask for it as termtime holiday did you?

• Like 1

Sorry I know this is off topic but wow your dd must be really clever to take so many GCSE's early. Has she started her AS levels early too?

A friend of dd who was on Child Genius has taken 1 early & I know a few of the very very top set children as ds's selective school do maths & further maths early then start AS level in year 11 but 5 is outstanding.

Well done to her for balancing her academics & dance so well.

My daughter is at WL this week and her school authorised it as education out of school/elsewhere so not noted as an absence. She's year 5. In her dorms (year 5&6) there are 10 different nationalities. I've heard from her a couple of times and she says she is having the best time of her life bless her, never heard her sound so happy ????

• Like 3

No, they just don't agree with anything like that at all.

How very unco-operative of them. But did they ever say why? 

I've got to be honest and say that if they'd been like that with dd I might have put my little foot down and argued the toss until they gave up in despair ;)

(Thinking about it, I seem to remember one occasion when the attendance officer phoned me about yet another time-off request. She said "You're going to take her out anyway aren't you, whether I authorise it or not, so I suppose I might as well authorise it then") :D

• Like 2

My philosophy is that I apply for the courses.  If they get a place I ask.  Royal Ballet school I'm pretty sure you only have to get the ballet teacher's permission (which was a bit tricky for us this year because we applied just as DD had her operation). I too would make my point and insist that they were able to go, especially as you say, they are doing no exams etc.

btw Pictures, my middle DD has taken several GCSE's already at Hammond.  Some schools do this to ensure more GCSE's can be attained, Hammond do it to make sure that there is time for auditions and productions I guess.  With the Centenary 'year' coming up I expect the workload is going to be even higher!  People may even get to hear her sing  B)

DD was on fast track, which I think they are scrapping after this year?

Means less next year which is only a good thing just in time for 6th form auditions.

It's not classed as educational in their eyes. Very good school but ridiculous when it comes to things like that. X

Pictures - She is doing AS level maths work, with a possibility of taking it next year.

Edited by SwaybackSapphire
  • Like 1

My dd is at WL SS This week ????And loving every precious moment. Her primary school marks it as educated off site and it doesn't affect her attendance record. Next year in Y7 she moves school to a academically selective Grammer Private School, I have already read in their handbook strictly no time off whatever ???? And that is final ???? And an hour and a half homework every night ???? That will be a challenge with dance after school ????

• Like 4