Another summer school question

Pups_mum

Sorry, i know there are quite a few threads on this topic, but I'm coming from a slightly different perspective to most, so hope I'm forgiven for starting another one.

DD is 16, will be 17 in the spring, and is just about to do her RAD Advanced 1 - but she doesn't aspire to be a professional ballet dancer. (Well I am sure she would love to be, but she realised a good few years ago that she hasn't been blessed with all the necessary attributes and has come to terms with that.)

So what she would like from a summer school is perhaps a bit different to what most of her age group look for. I hesitate to say that she wants a more fun, or less serious course, as she does take it very seriously and wants to dance to the highest standard that she can, but she is not looking for perhaps the intense corrections and "seriousness" that I imagine vocational students of her age would be, or an opportunity to see a particular school etc. Plus, and this may well be more my worry than hers if I am honest, there's the worry that she wouldn't fit in or would feel awkward at a course attended by lots of full time students and that it would be a negative rather than enjoyable experience.

But she would really love to dance with girls around her age who love ballet! She has great teachers, and there are a number of very good dancers at her local school, but the rest of her age group are much more interested in other genres and see ballet as something as a necessary evil rather than their raison d'etre. DD is currently the only student in her school doing ballet beyond intermediate so although she attends classes for other grades, all her "own" ballet lessons are one to one, which gets kind of lonely for her. We live in a rural area so no other local schools (and she wouldn't want to leave her existing teachers anyway) so her only opportunity to dance with a large group of other similarly aged students is to go to summer schools, workshops etc. She has absolutely loved EYB previously as that ticks all the boxes for her, particularly because of the performance opportunity, but this year there just isn't a production that is possible for us, so I need to consider alternatives. To be honest, some of the things that Michelle, Lin and co post about in the adult dance thread sound right up DD's street - but she's not an adult yet of course.

Can anyone suggest courses that they think might be suitable please? Something with an "end product" along the lines of EYB would be ideal, but I appreciate that there aren't many opportunities like that, so am open to suggestions.

Maybe look at the RAD performance summer school? RAd did a contemporary one this year too that looked good. No idea on age range though. Perhaps also the summer programmes associated with companies eg Rambert summer stuff look good though not residential.

• Like 1

To pups_mum

Another summer school which caters for mostly non-vocational students and includes contemporary and Jazz and is a fun summer school which includes swimming in the indoor swimming pool on site is Yorkshire Assembly which is held at Queen Margaret's school, Escrick, York in early August each year.Students can board or attend on a daily basis and there is a demonstration on the last day which is held in the theatre where parents are invited. This summer school is run by The Yorkshire Ballet Scholarship Centre based in York. Take a look on the website.

I was going to suggest the RAD one too. But that is in London so may be a bit far and although it is non residential it may be costly to stay over.

However if you investigate Youth Hostels these days they often offer just a double room for one or two people to share and is much cheaper than a hotel etc.

Also have a look on the ENB website as they do have various workshops throughout the year offered to different age groups as well as adults. Sometimes the workshops are offered near to where the Company is performing at the time so could be useful.

I'm trying to find out a bit more about a Summer School in Harpenden and can PM you when I have.

Also I think the Rambert do a summer school......sorry a bit south of England biassed!

I also seem to remember that last year there was a very good one in Wales somewhere.

I was going to suggest the RAD one too. But that is in London so may be a bit far and although it is non residential it may be costly to stay over.

However if you investigate Youth Hostels these days they often offer just a double room for one or two people to share and is much cheaper than a hotel etc.

Also have a look on the ENB website as they do have various workshops throughout the year offered to different age groups as well as adults. Sometimes the workshops are offered near to where the Company is performing at the time so could be useful.

I'm trying to find out a bit more about a Summer School in Harpenden and can PM you when I have.

Also I think the Rambert do a summer school......sorry a bit south of England biassed!

I also seem to remember that last year there was a very good one in Wales somewhere.

There has been a thread in the past about Harpenden Summer Dance School.

Our website is www.harpendensummerdanceschool.co.uk. It will be a while before its updated ( not under my control Im afraid!) but next years dates are 24th- 28th August and it will be the tenth anniversary year.

Non residential but we have had students stay with friends or at local hotels.

Please pm if interested. We are friendly!

Helen Brewer ( co director)

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

My son did Sussex Summer School (extended day) this summer and thoroughly enjoyed it.  They had some good enthusiastic teachers and had lots of fun.  The standard seemed mixed - some obviously very high but others more "dancing for fun" types.  Lovely location, and it looked like everyone had a great time.  He was very sad when it was all over....  I don't think he will be able to do it next year though as he is now at White Lodge and they like them to rest fully over the summer....

Take a look at www.thedancesummerschool.co.UK too. Great teachers and full evening entertainment. My dad has been for several years and this year will be a chaperone. Elmhurst is always good too!

You must be really proud of your dad and his dancing lol ;)  :lol: