Getting to the Northern Ballet School

lilacfairy

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you get the train to Oxford Road - you can change at Manchester Piccadilly if necessary - come out of the station walk down to the main road and turn right.  No major roads to cross.  5 minutes max.

Any parents waiting - there is a fabulous little coffee shop just by the station (before you get to the main road) or indulge yourself at the Manchester Picture House either for a drink, food or a film.  Or within 15 minutes walk - just carry on past Northern ballet school - you get to the museum of manchester university.  If you have younger children with you this is fabulous, especially the live animals at the top of the museum and the dinosaur skeleton at the bottom!

As far as I am aware trains from Victoria do not go to Oxford Road but trains from Piccadilly do.

For anyone using Transpenine routes you need to be aware that there is a new route between Liverpool and Leeds that goes via Victoria not Piccadilly.

• Like 2

If the trains no longer go from Victoria to Oxford Road (some routes did although I'm not sure of the current position),you can also get a tram (Metrolink) to Deansgate station - which may be called Cornbrook on the tram line? - then get a train from Deansgate to Oxford Road.

Given that routes seem to change pretty often - and in case there are any engineering works etc on any line - I would always speak to the staff at whichever station you arrive at to find out the best and quickest route to Oxford Road and NBS.

• 4 weeks later...

There is a place called Kitchenette opposite the Palace Theatre (which may be around a 10 minute walk away).

Here's a link to the menu:  http://www.mudcrabindustries.co.uk/files/menus/020914_1650_A3%20K-LD.pdf

I loved the duck and sweet potato hash (had it twice in a week!) and the ice cream cones are to die for!

If you walk a few minutes further up from the Palace Theatre I think there are a number of other restaurants.

If you have time to kill during the day there's a super cafe called Java on the slip road up to Oxford Rd Station:  http://www.javabarespresso.com/index.php?main_page=page&id=8

I think it's open till around 9pm too.

There is also the Corner House (or whatever it is called these days) and a Starbucks seems to have opened adjacent to the theatre.

• Like 1

From Oxford Street station instead of turning right turn left - so head away from Northern Ballet.  Go up to the library, large circular building.  Go into the library.  When you have finished marvelling,   keep heading away from Northern Ballet and its in a big square there.  There is a separate market just beyond Harvey Nicks, on your way to Victoria station.

I miss Manchester now my DD is not at JRNCM any more, but Wells does have a reindeer parade!

Meadowblythe

• Like 1

• 1 month later...