Improving Stamina??

swanprincess

This question has probably been asked before, but are there any good ways to improve stamina? I find it hard to maintain good energy levels throughout a day of school followed by dance classes in the evening.... As well as good nutrition, are there specific exercises that I should do to improve my stamina?

Well, I think you've hit the nail on the head with "good nutrition". :-) Eating enough complex carbs throughout the day (obviously in addition to protein, fibre, healthy fats etc.) should give you enough sustained energy to keep you going. Cereal bars, bananas, apples, and other mid-low GI foods are all good for snacking and keeping your energy up.

My dd has a dinner of pasta or risotto before her evening ballet class, allowing time for it to digest, even if that means having dinner at 5pm. She has an apple or banana in the car on the way to class. That seems to help but even so I am a bit of a nag about eating enough of the right foods to provide enough fuel.

I also searched the forum for stamina and found this which may be interesting - a thread started by you which has some good advice about stamina: http://www.balletcoforum.com/index.php?/topic/6992-going-to-the-gym/?hl=stamina#entry94664

Good luck! :-)

• Like 5

My dd likes nakd bars- they were recommended by someone on here. Not cheap at £2.50 for 4 but easy and quick to eat and nutritious.

As spanner says the maintaining of energy levels needs to be attended to all day - if you only think about it after school it may be too late.

I think it is hard to eat too much, of healthy things, judging by the hours of dancing done a week by dc on this forum. I still find I forget sometimes to tell dd to eat enough......

Good nutrition - I agree with spanner that you need to eat enough throughout the day - not just at mealtimes or when you get home from school.  I would also advocate getting enough sleep.  To my mind stamina improves when you have the balance right between what you are putting in it (nutrition and rest) and what you are demanding from it.  Small steps - I think it is one of those things that may improve so slowly that it is only when you look back six months later you realise how much more stamina you actually have.

• Like 2