Dance mums uk

Tulip

My daughter hasn't watched Dance Moms (the US version) but she says that the girls in her ballet class watch it and talk about it. I feel very ambivalent about this sort of programme as it involves children being exposed in a potentially damaging way but, as Elliepops has said, programmes like this have a morbid fascination. I wouldn't stop my daughter from watching it but it's hard to drag her away from Keeping up with the Kardashians, another morbidly fascinating (and trashy) programme.

Aileen, my DD too has never watch Dance Moms (US) but says her friends talk about it all the time, as do their mums.  We dont have pay tv, but i know shoe 'could' watch it on utube but never has shown any interest in it.

what i really hate is when the girls at the school have a break between classes they are always (and i mean always!) re-inacting the scenes and juding each other and are often quite nasty when in character - not like their natural selves at all (thankfully)

I dont understand why anyone would want their child to be subjected to that kind of treatment, certainly not at such an impressionable age.

To be fair, our tv is rarely on. if DD isnt at classes or competitions or doing homework, we try to get out and do 'other stuff'.  maybe if we were in more it might be more of a battle, but we are struggling to keep up with Strictly (on ep 3 at mo!)

IMO it can't be viewed as harmless entertainment when children are involved.

I agree. I watched the first episode - where Abby appears - with my jaw on the floor. I'm gobsmacked at any Mother who would subject their child to such exposure and behaviour.

Now I'm catching up with the 2nd episode where Jennifer Ellison has just announced that she has 7 weeks to change a child "into the next Darcey Bussell". Not sure how much of this I will be able to watch.

• Like 3

It reminds me of that fly on  the wall programme, The Family, that ran in 1974 about the Wilkins family from Reading. It was the first time something like that had been shown on UK TV and my Mum and I would watch fascinated at their goings on - a truly disfunctional family, I'm afraid to say.  It was okay watching the adults in the family scandalising the nation, but I simply couldn't watch when the little boy, Christopher, who was about 8 or 9 was involved.  I couldn't believe that his parents would allow him to be used in that way.  I felt so sorry for him!  Interestingly, I googled the show and discovered that he refuses to have any association with it (and possibly his family for putting him through that ordeal) and I was actually pleased that he'd taken that stand.  If adults agree to put their lives into the public domain that's one thing, but to subject a minor to such negative exposure is the pits, IMO!   Incidentally, the parents divorced a couple of years after the show ran - it finished their 26 year marriage.  Perhaps it needed to be finished and should have been earlier - they both remarried.

Edited by Dance*is*life

I had a look on Youtube as Dance Mums isn't available in NZ. That 'Cabaret' number they did for Abby made my stomach churn. Those kids are aged about 8 to 13 and the opening move was one of them with her back to the audience and legs spread wide, on a chair doing a 'Liza Minnelli'. I have always been glad DD (just 11) didn't want to do jazz, not because I object to it as a form of dance, but because I didn't know how to explain to her my discomfort at how easily the dances can become sexualised when the dancers are too young to understand the concept. Minefield! 

• Like 4

Our Seniors did the cell block number from Chicago - similar style - and even though they were 16,17 and 18 year olds I felt a bit uncomfortable watching it, so I know exactly want you felt seeing these young supposedly "innocent" children making such suggestive moves.  Hate it!  I remember when I used to do competitions in the 1950's and '60's the judges had no compunction in stating flat out if they felt the dance was not appropriate for the age group.  It would probably be considered as restricting freedom of choice nowadays!!!!

• Like 5

Totally agree!! We are lucky in that the festivals we have been involved with so far have had adjudicators that criticised any dance that is not age appropriate and our school won't allow anything like that for 'children' to dance no matter how much some of them beg (which can only be the influence of the parents imho, allowing them to be subjected to something like that in the first place)

• Like 2

This sort of thing is not new - just more open and prevalent. I remember many years ago before enrolling her daughter in my class a mother asked me if I could make her daughter (age 9) look sexy.

I told her I teach ballet - not sex.

After several similar incidents like this, and observing parental/child behavior,  I came to the conclusion that there are mothers out there who live vicariously through their daughters.  In one case, criminally so.

Some dads do too - through their sons - mostly in sports.

It's not just a money thing - it can also be a mental/emotion need on the part of a parent/s.

Edited by Anjuli_Bai
  • Like 1

I just wonder if parents ever think of paedophiles searching dance competitions for photos. I've seen some pretty revolting things written under Dance Moms (US) Instagram photos too. What happened to protecting your kids from the nastier side of adult life?

• 1 month later...

I have just watched the final episode of dance mums UK and all I can say is "did this behaviour really happen"? The language and bullying towards a child and an old lady was unforgivable, Jennifer Ellison screaming after the old lady to just leave along with your dogy hip, in front of the lairs granddaughter and other children. Very unfortunate that they gave a very negative portrayal of Liverpudlian dance mothers. Where oh where were the authorities to protect these children, witnessing bad aggressive behaviour along with foul language, appalling.