Rambert (School) Auditions for September 2015 and beyond.

Miracle

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Going by our experience last year, they don't tend to publish the dates. You apply and they send you an audition date. Last year I think auditions ran over several months and it's just one audition for Rambert. My memory is a bit vague but I seem to recall that auditions ran from around feb-may.

When my dd auditioned the year before last, all auditions were held on a Mon spread over several months from Feb til as late as April. There was just the one audition, you got allocated either a morning or afternoon. This consisted of a ballet class (parents got given a tour whilst this was taking place), then some auditionees were selected to present their solo & then some a physio assessment.

• 3 months later...

I've just read through the Rambert audition thread  for 2014 entry and have noted a few things:

1.  Quite a few people who get all the way through the cuts to do the interview and physio get put on the waiting list (and I think someone knew of at least one person who got a straight no)

2. That when they say it's a two week wait to hear, it really is two weeks!

3. Most people said that they received an email, but one person seemed to have had a letter.

For the people who have had prior dealings with Rambert auditions, would you say that's accurate?

There is quite a bit of speculation around a few things, so I thought I'd share my DD's experiences from Monday. She did the afternoon audition, which was a girls only audition. Out of the auditionees in that audition, 7 were chosen to do their solos. Of these, my DD is 15, and the other six girls were 17 or 18. Then, after the solos, there was another cut to 4 girls. Of these, there was my DD and the other three were 17. BUT, it was the opposite way around in the morning audition, where all but one of the auditionees to make it to their solo were 16 (the other girl was 18). I actually asked during the tour what the split between 16 year olds and older ones is. The lovely, lovely lady giving us the tour said that she'd noticed last year that there were a high number of 16 year olds applying and that they'd ended up with about half being under 18 and half being over 18. She seemed to suggest that there is no particular aim to take either younger or older, it depending on the suitability of the people auditioning.

I will also say how even though I already had high expectations of the school, the reality for me was even better.

Edited by Regattah
  • Like 6

Hi Lilacfairy,

I got the ages from my daughter. Apparently they'd discussed their ages whilst waiting for physio. The other two waiting with her were 17 and they said that the girl who was in there being seen at the time was also 17 - but there must have been a mistake. The problem with hearsay!!

A girl I know auditioned at just 15, and secured a place. She turned the place down to continue with her GCSE's. Auditioned the following year but didn't get a place. I didn't think Rambert took them as young as 15 but perhaps her birthday was a September so just turning 16 when she would have started. Good luck with your auditions everyone.

Well done to those who made it through to the solo stage, and good luck to everyone still to audition. Even if you don't get a place this time it's always worth auditioning again as Rambert really appreciate students who are determined, and obviously plenty can change from one year to another.

From my dd's experience 2 years ago: don't know how many who aren't cut get yes/waiting list/no - dd got yes but would imagine it has got to be a pretty even split between them all. That said, knowing Rambert they will take the ones they like regardless of statistics. And there are plenty of current students who got in from the waiting list.

It's definitely a 2 week wait for results, unless it's right at the end of the auditions when they need people to respond ASAP.

The standard procedure seems to be an email (to the student if they've given their email address) followed by a confirmation letter.

With regard to age, again I think this isn't an issue as they really do take a variety of ages and if they think you suit the training and are for them then they will take you. Some girls, though obviously more boys, begin in their early or even mid 20s. The lowest age for UK students will be 16 when they start, even if just turned that (though it may be different if you come from Scotland?)

I do know of a couple of Asian students who started at 15, but that's because the school system has a different cut off point from us in places like Singapore.

Hope this helps.

• Like 2

Congratulations to those who have been offered a place.

My DS started at Rambert when he was 15. However, it was just the way his birthday fell; he was 16 a few weeks later. In that year group I think there was another boy in the same position. There was a real range of ages, but the majority were around 18 at the start.

Wow can't believe that it was a year ago when we shared our news, that my DD had been offered a place at Rambert. Well done to those who have been offered places. My DD absolutely loves it's and is incredibly happy.

• Like 7

• 3 weeks later...

Dd had Rambert audition today. Large panel with 9 assessors! 24 girls in the morning audition, 8 asked to do solo, interview, physio including my dd...pleased to do solo having prepared it! Looks like a great school and good dancing community and good to have brief talk from the new Director as well as tour of the facilities.

• Like 8