[Edited to remove my original post, which is posted further down this thread.  Janet posted here at the same time I was posting my response on the original ENB press-release post: I then moved my post over to here only to find that I must have posted seconds before she did, and the board software inserted my reply in front of her original post.  I trust that's all as clear as mud]  :(

• Like 2

I have just published a press release from ENB that includes details of Elena Glurdjidze's final performance with ENB.

Elena's farewell performance is on Sunday 18 January 2015 at 2.30pm 

I have not had the opportunity of seeing Elena as much as I would have liked.  The last time I was able to see her was as Aurora in Sleeping Beauty at the Liverpool Empire a couple of years ago.  She was truly magical.

I would like to wish Elena all the very best for the future.

• Like 3

No Daria, no Elena (sosad that the latter will soon be gone as well). But lovely to see the likes of Ksenia Ovsyanick, Shiori Kase, Alison McWhinney and Laurretta Summerscales already shining brightly.

Fortunately, Vadim remains 'on show' for us all to enjoy at the RB but, alongside the above ballerinas, ENB also has a number of up-and-coming young male dancers especially Yonah Acosta (already a Principal), Junor Souza, and Ken Saruhashi. 

Best wishes to Elena whose Aurora was a wonder to behold and whose Raymonda was the most beautiful piece of dancing I saw in the 2012/13 season.

• Like 3

Yes, Elena's Raymonda was really wonderful.

It's not a surprise that she's going. She's been very under-used since Tamara's arrival. I wonder what she'll do next. Very best wishes to her for the future - although I hope to see her one last time.

• Like 3

I only saw Elena dance a handful of times, including her sublime Aurora in Sleeping Beauty, but the way she commanded a stage was second to none.

My favourite memories of Elena, though, will be of her performing with the Bristol Russian Youth Ballet Company in Cinderella at Weston Super Mare. Not just for the beautiful way she performed, but also the kindliness and respect with which she interacted with the other dancers. As I said in my review at the time:

Elena and Arionel were predictably fantastic (surreal as it was seeing them on a mid-sized stage in a slightly tacky seaside resort). Neither tried to steal the scene, and you could tell that both were there solely to share their talents with the students of the company. It must have meant the world to the students to be sharing a stage with such stars, and the generosity of spirit on stage was both apparent and abundant in Elena and Arionel. They both interacted with subtle, kind encouragement with the younger dancers and gave the older dancers respect as equals. It was actually genuinely moving, and I have the utmost respect and adoration for both of them for what they've done for the company.

Elena earned my adoration and respect not only for her dancing, but also for being a jolly fine human being, and I wish her all the very best of luck with whatever the future may bring. :)

Edited by BristolBillyBob
  • Like 8

Unsurprised to hear this news.  So, Elena gets only the one performance, at a time which may be difficult or impossible for many people to make.  Slightly different from Klimentova's farewell back in the summer, eh?  And no performances anywhere near London where one might be able to catch one last glimpse of her :(

Edit: No, you're not imagining it - this post was originally at the top of this thread, and I moved it because it didn't make sense to have it ahead of Janet's post.  She is the author of this thread, though, not me.

Edited by alison

No less sad for being inevitable - it's been just a matter of time for a while now.

Hopefully she'll be doing something in the future that will allow her to stay in the ballet world and continue to make contributions one way or another.

• Like 1

It's very sad although not unexpected as many of you have commented,     however .....  the good news is that on January 31st at the Weston Playhouse, Weston super Mare on Sat January 31st at 4 pm there will be another opportunity for us to enjoy and lose ourselves as Elena is dancing the lead role,  along with Arionel,  in the Bristol Russian Ballet Schools' production of Nutcracker,  from the previous comments I can see that some of you were at the production of Cinderella earlier in the year,    hope to see you again in January where we can applaud her once again  xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

• Like 1

..the good news is that on January 31st at the Weston Playhouse, Weston super Mare on Sat January 31st at 4 pm there will be another opportunity for us to enjoy and lose ourselves as Elena is dancing the lead role,  along with Arionel,  in the Bristol Russian Ballet Schools' production of Nutcracker...

You are kidding me. That's AWESOME news. :D So exciting. I will DEFINITELY be there, and will definitely be at the stage door afterwards.

• Like 1

Not  kidding  BristolBillyBob,    it's true so get your ticket asap as they're selling now and you'll want a good seat,   we're hoping for a full house so that we can give her a fantastic West Country welcome,    see you thre  xxxxxxxx 

Ismene Brown’s nice words in “The Spectator” about Elena:

“The much loved ballerina Elena Glurdjidze, 40, will sign off in January with Swan Lake. Her beauty and emotional sincerity has won her legions of fans over 12 years with ENB.”

• Like 4

Ismene Brown’s nice words in “The Spectator” about Elena:

“The much loved ballerina Elena Glurdjidze, 40, will sign off in January with Swan Lake. Her beauty and emotional sincerity has won her legions of fans over 12 years with ENB.”

I would agree with that. I had the good fortune of hearing her speak  earlier in the year where she discussed some of the things she would like to do in future. She appeared to be a lovely human being as well as a great dancer. Like every ballet goer I wish her well.

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

Yes, Elena's Raymonda was really wonderful.

It's not a surprise that she's going. She's been very under-used since Tamara's arrival. I wonder what she'll do next. Very best wishes to her for the future - although I hope to see her one last time.

I agree with you and Capybara that Elena's Raymonda was the outstanding event of that summer season - a masterclass in the Petipa style.  Elena is a very enterprising person and already has exciting plans for the future, including continuing to dance internationally.  I will certainly post details here when she gives her permission.

• Like 5

• 1 month later...

Just remembered about this!!! Thank god there were still a handful of tickets going. Kicking myself for not booking this earlier as there's nothing left in the stalls, but I managed to bag front row circle, so can't complain. I'll be flying solo on this one, so if anyone fancies saying hello in person, please do get in touch. :)

• 2 years later...

Fans of Elena may like to know that she's scheduled to appear as "special guest dancer" in Raymond Gubbay's "Classical Spectaculars" at the Royal Albert Hall in November:

https://www.royalalberthall.com/tickets/events/2017/classical-spectacular-2/

Would be nice if they could spell her name correctly, of course, but we know it's not an easy one :)

• Like 1

• alison changed the title to Elena Glurdjidze: leaving ENB in January 2015 - and other news
  • Jan McNulty changed the title to Elena Glurjidze News