Hounslow Dance Festival query?

Loopy

I'm sure there must be a thread for Festival somewhere but I can't find it, and I'm a newbie so apologies!

Does anyone know who the Adjudicator is for the forthcoming Hounslow Dance Festival? I can't find any information about it online... I'm just a curious mum... No other reason. My kids like to know if they have had the adjudicator before... I guess they find it comforting. Thx

• Like 1

Thanks 2littledancers . Hi Lilac and southerndancemum, our school has no groups at H, just solos and we've never done it there before... Different venue to normal I hear? I have DD 11 doing 4 solos plus a duet and DD 16 doing 2. Jennifer Hayley.... Thx. Anyone started yet?

• Like 1

Hi... Did everyone find the venue Ok? One of our school went to the one on the website today and almost missed her slot! DD3 has a Gold, silver and Bronze so far...but, despite the silver.. Didn't qualify the dance!! Frustrating for her.

• Like 1

Hi Loopy.

Well done on medals!

DD got joint third yest & qualified (but it was already qualified -Doh)

We are at Kingston weekend after - 15th was the only weekend we could make.

Oh and we were going to the wrong place as were also going to the one on their website which hadn't been updated!

overall I wasn't impressed with venue or organisation bit like the photographer idea.

Edited by southerndancemum

please may someone dm me the correct adress as i have the 2nd category of the day on sat so no time to be late if we go to the wrong place! thanks x

personally I found the adjudication weird. watched a song and dance section where 2nd place went to someone I could hardly hear and had little expression. The three is earmarked weren't placed (I'm normally quite good a getting at least two of the top three)

one of the groups I saw placed were also imho below the others but they got placed.

However in some of the other sections I watched I was spot on so was very confused.

Didn't like the venue at all.

plus point - loved the idea of the action photographer :)

what about you Lilac?

Roll on Kingston next lol

i found the stage quite an odd shape and especially in classical ballet i was put off as i found myself basically in the wings doing my arabesque- you could only fit one person backstage so i couldnt really see the rest of the section but im sure everyone was great! my mum in the audience did also agree with you and think that the adjudication was unexpected

plus/negative point for me - the adjudicator spoke for agggges about discipline in ballet and how teachers used to have sticks and noone has that nowadays and thats why our technique is slipping, in japan they slap the dancers we dont brace our knees etc but was quite entertaining to listen to

Found it a mixture.

Also loved action photographer and made the most.

Shame stage was so small, difficult for some of Dd's groups, and sometimes saw people passing backstage.

Adjudication mixed. I thought she was very harsh with classical ballet where even dances which had qualified elsewhere missed mark here. Yet at same time DD did her character which she had not touched for nearly 6 months and strangely it qualified!

Overall we enjoyed it, and DD pleased she had qualified two more solos.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

We're at Woking in January, weather permitting! It snowed last time our school did the festival so we didn't go as it's a bit of a trek!

Oh gosh, yes I remember the snow!!  we had arrived with the roads cleared, gone into the shopping centre for lunch, into the theatre for comp and not come back out til 6pm where we found it had snowed about 2 inches.  Took hours to get home (in a beetle!)

I know nothing about festivals and have never been to any. What I want to know is: do they bear any resemblance to the competitions shown on Dance Moms?! And are any of the contestants' teachers like Abby Lee Miller?!

Edited by aileen
  • Like 1

Ha not really! Usually a bit classier & you don't learn the dance the few days before!

Most festivals you can enter solos, duets, trios &groups - the festivals I did/know about had ballet, tap, modern, character, national, song & dance & Greek & most people entered for the majority of the solos for their age group. 1st - 6th place for each solo & overall section winners & usually now 1st - 6th too.

• Like 2

Hi Aileen,

On the whole the parents and teachers are very well behaved.

I've never seen a teacher behave like Abby-Lee and have only moved changing room once to avoid undesirable parental behaviour.

There is no way my child would be at a school like that!

• Like 2

Lol that question made me laugh out loud. festivals, least the ones we have done, are nothing like dance mums. I only survived ten mins of one episode of that and the idea that I'd put my DD through anything as horrendous as that is laughable.

DD has made some long time and wonderful friends thru festivals and she loves going. Lots of the mums I've met there are lovely but admit some are less than desirable lol

• Like 1