IDTA Exams

Tacey

I am a qualified dance teacher both Associate & Licentiate in ballet, tap, freestyle, hip hop & street, musical theatre etc. with UKA association. I decided to apply to become a member of the IDTA and have been accepted. I am a little concerned about the exam format & wondered if people could shine some light please?! Two things, first is it really true that teachers aren't allowed to work the music system during the exams?  I am a complete control freak & hate the thought of having to trust a parent to do this job! Secondly, I'm confused about how many students you are allowed to enter.  It says no two same grades can be entered in on the same session - I have 40 children all due to take primary grade in tap & ballet, so split into groups of 3's that's loads!! Am I to take it I have to organise loads of exam sessions?! Sorry for the rambling & if I am asking silly questions! Any advice or clarification from IDTA teachers would be great!

Thanks so much!

• Like 1

Hi L' Danza. I think you might be confused with the rule that states that no candidate can enter two (of the same) branch grades in one session. Meaning that a child could only do Grade I ballet and not Grade I AND Grade 2 ballet at the same session for example. Does that make sense? I'm sleepy Ha Ha!

The teacher cannot play the music and whoever does play the music has to be hidden from view of the candidates!

Hope that helps.

Not a teacher but my DDs have taken exams with IDTA and I agree with Dancemad that it is no candidate could enter 2 grades of the same branch in the same session ie as quoted not grade 1 and grade 2 ballet but as far as I am aware you are allowed to enter grade 1 ballet and grade 1 tap in the same session. My DDs certainly took IDTA Theatre Craft and IDTA jazz on the same day in lower grades. For the music our school had a senior student rather than a parent and they would sit in on the class and operate the music for the class for a few months prior to the exam so that they were well used to the music system and the exam music and so they were a known face to the younger children - although in the exam itself the person playing the music was hidden from the children by a curtain. Hope it all goes well for you. Good luck

As said above, the limitation is one grade per subject per session, but each candidate can do several different exams in one session. So ballet and tap is fine. Definitely no teachers operating music and I would have an older student rather than a parent on the music. We use folding screens to hide the music operator. Don't forget to cover mirrors too!

With your membership welcome pack you should have received some info on running a successful exam session, this is also available on the members area of the IDTA website along with all sorts of useful info and forms etc. Head office are very helpful, via phone or email with specific queries and examiners are also very helpful, you will probably be in contact with him or her prior to your session to confirm details such as session timings, directions, accommodation if needed and any special requirements for meal breaks etc. Examiners are generally very understanding and happy to advise, especially if you are new to the board.

Hope this helps - good luck with your exam session!

Thank-you everyone for all your advice! It's certainly very different & much stricter than UKA. We were allowed to work the music, keep the mirrors & even dance with the students if they were abit nervous! Thanks for the helpful advice & best wishes too! x

I'm actually a bit shocked at this being allowed l'Danza (from someone who is used to teachers being barred from the exam room!) It's not just IDTA, all the main exam boards have this or a similar rule, apart from at the very youngest levels or for less strictly marked "class exams" conducted by the teacher - which I believe the IDTA have also just introduced. Also be warned - the "older student" is not generally allowed to be a candidate in the same session either.

Many's the teacher spotted trying to peep through a crack in the door/window to see what's going on (this is not allowed either BTW, but I know of many who do it - naming no names!)

I suppose the idea is both to make sure the teacher is not able to "help" the candidates in the exam room, and also to allow them complete privacy to perform for the examiner without worrying that their teacher will be dissecting their performance later, e.g. "How many times have I told you to do/not do X and then what did you go & do in the exam?" etc.

I didn't realise other exam boards didn't allow teachers in either, I've only ever done UKA exams. Thinking about it now it will probably be a lot less stressful just letting them go in & get on with it!!!

• Like 2