Genée International Ballet Competition 2014

Lildancer96

How lovely that a Gold was given. I've been to watch the Genee a few times over the years, but never been lucky enough to be present when the gold has been awarded. Wow, a bronze for Elmhurst too. That's great for British training. I wonder why RBS stopped doing a syllabus class with their students?

Well the last yr they did they didn't award the gold Francesca Hayward got silver- about to debut as Manon with RB, Tierney Heap got a bronze - RB co. Karla Doorbar, Anna Rose o Sullivan, Laura Day plus others who were all outstanding didn't get a thing... I sat there in shock the standard was incredible and yet they didn't reflect it in the awards IMO so TBH I'm not surprised they've stopped entering them. Let's see what they do next year ... It's in London.

• Like 1

That's very interesting balletqs. As the years have gone by, I have become amazed at how many students receive the top marks for their advanced 2. 30 years ago, it was really a huge achievement and very rare to get honours for advanced (I think entrants could enter with highly commended or honours). I know the technical standard has improved in that time but perhaps the requirements to get this top mark should also be increased. I also find the subjectivity of competitions frustrating, however, that is a reflection of the dance world when auditioning for jobs and fighting for roles.

• Like 1

The problem with competitions is that they can only be judged on the entrants for that particular competition for that year relative to each other. There is no facility to judge them against previous years standards.

I understand that RBS stopped teaching RAD because they could no longer fit it into the timetable and there was no real benefit to doing RAD when they have their own system of training.

Guest Autumn days

The problem with competitions is that they can only be judged on the entrants for that particular competition for that year relative to each other. There is no facility to judge them against previous years standards..

Actually, I don't think that is the case with the genee which is why they don't always award a gold. I thnk there are very strict criteria against which they mark for each level of medal. If they were simply being marked against each other the one(s) tha they think are the best would always get gold!!

Guest Autumn days

Competitions will always be subjective but i don't think it's fair to compare the medalists with previous competitors. Well done to all the medalists and finalists, a great achievement.

I want to clarify that I don't think they are compared to previous competitors oly compared to the set criteria that may or may not be the same each yer.

• Like 1

I was at the Genée this weekend and it was an interesting evening. There were only 2 boys in the final, one more technical than the other. Some of the contemporary pieces by the girls were spectacular. I don't usually enjoy contemporary but this really blew me away - their strength and speed were phenomenal! I was quite shocked by some of the judges decisions. What criteria are they being marked on? Most candidates excelled in either a more contemporary variation or the classical but I didn't really feel there was any single dancer who was really an all rounder? Anyone else attend?

• Like 1

I was at the Genée this weekend and it was an interesting evening. There were only 2 boys in the final, one more technical than the other. Some of the contemporary pieces by the girls were spectacular. I don't usually enjoy contemporary but this really blew me away - their strength and speed were phenomenal! I was quite shocked by some of the judges decisions. What criteria are they being marked on? Most candidates excelled in either a more contemporary variation or the classical but I didn't really feel there was any single dancer who was really an all rounder? Anyone else attend?