RB Manon Reduced ticket prices

loveclassics

I've just received an email offering special prices for these performances:

Matinee performances on  Saturday 27 September at 12.30pm and Tuesday 30 September at 1pm
Orchestra Stalls  £45 (usual price £77 -  £71)
Amphitheatre £26 (usual price £47 - £30)

Evening performances on 1 and 8 October at 7.30pm
Orchestra Stalls £52 (usual price £97 - £88)
Amphitheatre £34 (usual £58 - £40)

To get the cheaper prices enter the promo code manonreturns into ‘Do you have a code box?’ which is situated above the seating plan and click ‘update'.

Usual Ts & Cs apply.

Linda

• Like 1

I think they may regret putting on so many Manon's

Of course, the Cojocaru/Kobborg performances used to sell out in the past as well as the ones featuring Acosta.

But this level of unsold tickets feels almost unprecedented. After all, over the past few seasons, nearly all the seats for ballet at the ROH have been sold every night, seemingly irrespective of the programme.

They had trouble selling them the last time it was on at this time of year - which was the year ENB did it as well.  I remember hearing there were staff offers.  They have, of course, also lost 4 of their more compelling Manons/partnerships since last time around ...

Incidentally, I didn't receive this email :(  Did you buy any tickets for the performance, loveclassics?

I really wonder why they carry on with programming these weekday matinees: I believe there's another schools' matinee or something at some other time, so don't see why the 30th was ever programmed.

They have, of course, also lost 4 of their more compelling Manons/partnerships since last time around ...

Presumably you are thinking of Alina, Tamara, Mara and Leanne in the role of Manon and Johan and Sergei (and possibly Ivan) as Des Grieux?

I actually find this year's line-up interesting and, in part, potentially very exciting.

But here I am making comments which do not really fit under a 'special offers' thread.

Incidentally, I didn't receive this email :(  Did you buy any tickets for the performance, loveclassics?

It came to a different email address from my usual one.  I had already bought a ticket for the Sunday matinee but not using that email address so that may be why I received the offer.  It may also be why I regularly receive letters from the ROH recommending opera performances 'specially selected for me'.  I NEVER go to the opera at the ROH as I prefer opera in English.

Linda

That's why I was trying to determine whether they'd sent them to anyone who'd already booked tickets.  I have a feeling they don't do that because of the potential annoyance it would cause.

It may also be why I regularly receive letters from the ROH recommending opera performances 'specially selected for me'.  I NEVER go to the opera at the ROH as I prefer opera in English.

No, I get those as well.  They never recommend me to go to the ballet, or to any operas I might actually be interested in, so I always ignore them.

I didn't get an e-mail offering discounts either. I wonder why they went to some people and not others. Did they just go to Friends?

Well I'm not a Friend though I used to be several years ago.  I gave it up because it didn't help me get the tickets I wanted.  Funny that I've never had a mailing inviting me to re-join.......

Linda

Just looked at the ROH site and found that the seat next to the one I bought for the matinee on 30th is on sale at almost half the price I paid!  The amphi does look very empty, but a matinee on a Tuesday is probably difficult to sell.   Like others I do not get emails about these offers and I belong to the Friends.

Margaret

• Like 2

Yes, I can see that I am probably going to be paying almost twice the amount that my neighbour pays for a couple of Manon performances. I don't think that I've ever seen such sluggish sales for a RB programme. There is a large number of performances, and I feel that the Amphitheatre prices are a bit on the high side.

• Like 1

Well I seem to get every reduced price offer going so I will do my best to share the opportunities with everyone at Ballet.co!  Trouble is, all you Friends will probably have already bought your seats.  I have to say that the Friends of Covent Garden is one supporters' scheme that does not seem to be acting in the best interests of the members.  Sad.

Linda

Edited to correct typo.

Edited by loveclassics
  • Like 3

Yes, I can see that I am probably going to be paying almost twice the amount that my neighbour pays for a couple of Manon performances. I don't think that I've ever seen such sluggish sales for a RB programme. There is a large number of performances, and I feel that the Amphitheatre prices are a bit on the high side.

They don't usually put on so many performances of Manon, certainly - or at least not in one go.  Last time around there were two different blocks, in two different seasons, and largely with different dancers in each.

Time Out are now also offering reduced prices.  Tickets for orchestra stalls are £35 (mats) & £44, Amphitheatre £22 & £27.  September 30th, Oct 1st, 5th & 9th.  There's no booking code but a link from Timeout:

https://uk-offers.timeout.com/deals/entertainment-manon-at-the-royal-opera-house?cid=TOL|DD|EM|_CTA|entertainment-la-boheme-london-coliseum|2014-09-23T23:19:48

You may need to register with Time Out for their emailed offers first but I am happy to forward my email with the link to anyone who sends me a pm.  But booking must be made before Oct 6th, 11:00 a.m.

Linda

There's also a Twitter offer for the matinées on the 27th and 30th. Stalls £35 Amphi £22.  The code is "tweetmanon"

Thanks, Bluebird - have booked.  It's ironic, isn't it, that I often look at these midweek matinees, think "Oh, that won't sell" and wait for the offers, then realise it's virtually sold out.  Obviously not this time.

I am also a Friend who did not receive the discount email. I fully understand why they sometimes need to reduce prices to shift seats but not telling me about it is very annoying. I have one (full price) Manon ticket but would quite happily go again. If I am on schedule I'll ask at the box office tomorrow why they didn't email me.

• Like 2

I can't get the original "manonreturns" offer when I sign in as a Friend, but I can when not signed in, so presume this was never intended for Friends, it does say "intro offer" so not for those who already have tickets?  I do appreciate people putting the information up on this website though, I'm just shocked at all the unsold amphi seats especially as this is the 40 year anniversary.

• Like 1

Book your tickets now 
Tickets are now only £35 in the Orchestra Stalls and £22 for the matinee performances on 27 September and 4 October (usually £77, £73 and £71 and £47, £42, £30 respectively). Tickets are now only £44 in the Orchestra Stalls and £27 for the evening performances on 10 and 13 October (usually £97, £91 and £88 and £58, £51 and £40 respectively). To book, visitwww.roh.org.uk/manon, select performance and enter the code wosmanon into the 'Do you have a code?' box, which is situated above the seating plan on the booking page, and click 'Update'. To book by phone, please call +44 (0)20 7304 4000 and quote wosmanon

Tickets subject to availability. Cannot be used in conjunction with any other offer, or on tickets already purchased. Only valid on performances on 27 September, 4, 10 and 13 October

• Like 1

Sorry about the mess above.  I'd just found the email in my inbox and was trying to post it up before the train left the station and my WiFi signal disappeared :)

At the rate we're going, we'll need an Excel table to fit in all the different offer details!

• Like 1

I'm amazed that there are so many unsold tickets left for Manon.  Having read the reviews here I've just bought a ticket for the 10th at less than half the usual price.  I'm delighted but it can hardly be good for business.

I hope others will read the excellent reviews and the ticket sales will pick up.  Could it be anything to do with the fact that the season has started a little earlier than usual?    It's going to be a very weird experience being in a less than full auditorium.  In the last 10 years I can't remember a performance of Manon that didn't sell out.

Linda

I don't think it helps that the public in general probably hasn't got its collective head round the fact that the RB season has started yet, but Manon has never proved that easy to sell - certainly not with the numbers of performances we have this season.  There must have been quite a lot last time around (2011?) - but they were split between two different seasons, which may have made a difference.