Ballet variations

Tulip

Why are you (or your DD, I assume) looking for a variation which is not well known? What about the 'Cigarette' variation from Suite en Blanc, which Maina Gielgud was taught by Serge Lifar (and performed) when she was 16?

Edited to correct name of ballet.

Edited by aileen

It is a solo she has to do as part of her degree. It has been suggested that a less familiar solo would be a good idea. My daughter was looking at a popular piece, but now wants to take the advice given. Her dance style is very soft and gentle and she is able to perform especially melancholy. So any suggestions of unfamiliar ballet variations would be great to pass on to her.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=clJ_ayzpBbM

How about The Betrayed Girl from The Rakes Progress.  It is very melancholy, deceptively simple looking but actually needs a great deal of technique and control.  The ballet, choreographed by Ninette de Valois is very important in ballet history, it is still in the repertoire but not seen so often.  Will someone coach your dd or does she have to do it all by herself?

• Like 2

Does it have to be an established variation or can she make up her own?

I've used the music of "Memories" from "Cats" very effectively - it has both flow and depth.  I found a lot of emotion in the music.

Here is the White Cat Dance: - or make up your own choreography....

Edited by Anjuli_Bai

• 3 months later...

How lovely Tulip, my younger DD's class learnt a variation from Birthday Offering (though not en pointe) last year and it was delightful. I looked on YouTube but wasn't able to find it, though there is a clip using the music to some photos. Looks like your DD's mission to find a variation which isn't so well known has been accomplished! Good luck to her.

You can always rely on the wonderful John Hall for finding some ballet gems and uploading it to You Tube. That`s not his real name [i can`t remember what he is called]. His YT account was suspended a few years ago for uploading to much "stuff" and breaking copyright rules etc. We "followers" of him were devastated. Anyway,lo and behold,he came back, with a new account and a "new" name. But we all know it`s the same guy as before. 

Edited by thequays
  • Like 1

That Requiem solo is beautiful but deceptively simple I think. There is a lot of dramatic intensity required to put that across even though the choreography is not too tricky etc.

The summer fairy variation is possibly more suitable for a very much younger person.

However looks as if your DD has found what she wanted.....hope it goes well for her.

No, that is not necessarily the case at all Straceydor.

For example all the current productions of Swan Lake, Sleeping Beauty and Nutcracker tend to be "based on" Ivanov/Petipa but will all have subtle differences.

Where choreography is owned by a living choreographer or a trust then the steps should be the same eg Cranko's Onegin or Balanchine's works.