Improving developpe height

swanprincess

Does anyone know how to improve developpe height a la seconde?! My left leg is very flexible & can developpe to above my head, but my right leg is no where near as good. I have reasonable flexibility in grands battements etc, yet in developes I can barely get the right leg above ninety degrees.... What exercises can I do to strengthen, and which muscles should I particularly try to use in order to gain strength?

Yes, I can do all splits... I think the thing that caused the difference was that I did gymnastics when I was younger- I worked for a long time to do the splits, so once I got into splits on my left leg I kept doing it, and didn't even consider my right side, until I started dancing and I realised that I'd totally neglected the flexibility of my right leg, now I can't seem to do anything to improve it, which is frustrating...

If you are fortunate enough to be able to get to one, a good dance physio would be able to find out exactly why the disparity between the two sides and set you on the right road to sorting it out safely. I know it sounds expensive but I do beleive the expert opinion is worth every penny and it may not be as much as you'd imagine.

• Like 3

Hi SwanPrincess,

It sounds as though you need some work on your 'core' to assist with the ability to hold the leg. Some dancers confuse tension in the thigh with perceived strength. It isn't the same thing, and attempting the 'clench' only with upper leg muscles will only build bulk and create a heavy leg.

You may want to try using the barre to achieve the height element and then try to lift the leg with control, lowering back to the barre. Do this devant and a la seconde on each side.

Feel free to email me if you'd like further info. I think we are both based in the Midlands.

Kind regards,

Carmen

Edited by CarmenShaw

Resistance work would really help here - using a theraband or kinetic bands. Also, doing developpés lying on the floor helps because you can't cheat. It might be your developpé technique restricting the height, eg using hip flexors too much rather than iliopsoas. I'd be happy to help have a look and show you some exercises if you wanted, PM me.

Sballerina that made me smile! It's difficult without seeing you (both) to know what needs strengthening etc, and it's difficult to describe exercises In text without making sure you understand what to do in order to do them safely, so I'm wary of doing so on a forum like this. But if you want a coaching session on anything please just PM me! :-)

• Like 1

I hope you find this of some help - it has appeared before on another thread on this topic - Remember each leg is different - they are not the same.....just like your hands are different.

One way that I have found worked really well for me - I am rather more tight than flexible - is either at the end of barre work or after class entirely:

Stand with one hand on the barre developpé your leg onto the barre to the front.  Make sure your leg is definitely aligned correctly, hips/shoulders and leg squarely in the front where it should be.  Now, lift the leg off the barre as much as you can, even an  inch or two will do.  Then after a count or two lower your leg back down to the barre.  Repeat several times and then repeat with the leg in second position.  I found this extremely efficacious.  Even though I am retired, I still do this regularly and my extensions are still shoulder high.  But they originally were barely hip high.

It must be done religiously.  Progress will not be speedy but it will occur.

Another thing:

Do your developpés (front/side/back) in fondu, then when fully extended, straighten your supporting leg.  Usually we are able to develop the leg a bit higher when in fondu and so taking advantage of that, try to keep the leg at that height as you straighten the supporting leg.

Another thing:

Rise onto either demi-pointe or full pointe, standing at the barre and do your developpés, after fully extended slowly come down to a flat foot.  Since this was done on a demi or full foot the extension was a bit higher, and now as you descend try to keep that extra bit of extension.

Another thing:

When you do grand battements don't allow the leg to drop back down, - lower it with control. This will take advantage of the stretch through the back of the leg on the way up and build strength to keep it there.  Brush up quickly with a strong push off through the toe, then retard the descent as much as possible.

Another thing:

This is a visualization - and visualizations can be important.  As you develop your leg picture a hand lifting the thigh from underneath and another hand pulling up your foot right where your shoe ribbons cross on top of your foot.

Another thing:

When you start your extension lift the knee as high as you can, and then develop the rest of the leg from there.

Another thing:

If you can do the stretch where you take your heel in your hand and extend to second position, try to slowly let go of your foot and maintain it in the air.  If you can't do it holding onto your heel, then hold onto your ankle or calf.

A good stretch/strengthener for arabesque:

Stand at the barre in fifth position, sideways, with one hand on  the barre.  Tendu your outside foot to the back.  Now, do your very best back bend, remembering to obey all the rules of alignment and with ABSOLUTELY no weight on your back tendu foot.  Now at the depth of your backbend, lock into that back leg with your back muscles, come up bringing your tendu back leg with you into arabesque.  Don't come up one inch without bringing your arabesque leg with you.

Keep it coming up, up, up, and then go into penché without unlocking that arabesque leg from your back.  When you've hit the extent of your penché, come back up to arabesque - leg still locked in your back.

None of these things will work over night - but with dedication and work - they will help. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Thank you, Anjuli_Bai, for mentioning the back.  The back is soooooo important in ballet!

When training développé a la seconde, one must be mindful of the importance of the back muscles - especially the upper back.  It is the same with arabesque.  The task is to identify the muscle groups in the back that articulate the arabesque, and employ those same muscles into your développé a la seconde.  Swanprincess, you are probably naturally using your back muscles on your left side without realizing it.

We rightly use the word "strength" when discussing such matters, but I think it is also about synergy.

Edited by Stitch

I have found the 'lift and lower' method works well for arabesque too. Facing the barre lift leg behind and place on the seat of a chair or stool. This is still relatively low so you can be very well aligned. Fondu on supporting leg, straighten, then lift leg a few in inches. Repeat several times slowly. Then lift your leg to highest point possible. If someone is with you, they remove the chair so you can then lower very slowly to point & close.

• Like 1

Thanks all these tips are really useful. Wow I'm impressed you can still sustain a lift in developpe Anjuli which is much harder than just doing a grand battement etc.

I'd be very pleased to get a sustained 90 all round but will try some of these exercises as never sure what to do to improve.......and I do recognise that thing with the thigh muscles.....mine are very tight but the core work Ive been doing is helping a bit to stress the legs less.

• Like 1

Thankyou so much for your replies, I've tried some of the exercises suggested and they seem good :) DrDance, you mentioned in a different thread that you might be holding a winter school- if I attended that, would I be able to pay a bit extra for some private coaching with you, to see what I should be doing to improve strength etc? Thanks :)

• Like 1