Ballet classes in London (SE)?

Bluestar

HI,

Total newbie here, I hope someone can help :)

We live in SE london, and my 6 yo  has expressed an interest in doing "proper" ballet.  She does a lunchtime class at school, with an RAD teacher, but it's mixed ability and she wants more.

My problem is there are so many "dance" and "theatre" style schools around.  My older daughter did try a couple, and I did a couple of adult ballet classes, but they seem very stage or general based, and do ballet/tap/jazz combined, or children's run around in a pink outfit style.  I wasn't happy with the lack of focus on correct technique- I did enough ballet with an ex Royal ballet teacher to know the importance.

So how do I track down a ballet class which will teach good technique and proper progression? I've tried google and the like but there are so many!

Thanks!

I'll check out that link. I did ask the teacher and no luck, she only does schools. I've asked all the parents I know too, but nothing. One friends son did go to Italia conti? I think, but raved on more about all the cute little girls in their outfits...

I am fairly clueless, although I know good technique and teaching, I don't know the difference between idta/istd/rad, although I'm fairly sure I did bbo- I can still quote the theory booklets! My mum just took me along to the nearest place and struck gold I think..

I can highly recommend Fiona Foster (http://www.fionafosterballet.com/#!costs/c12c8) who taught DS and DD when they were little - I found her classes much more relaxed than many others I tried (and lets face it when they are little what you mainly want is for them to have fun)- I do recall that of her boys class (aged 9/10 ish) they almost all got distinction in their RAD grade 1, so I think her technique must be good. She teaches in East Dulwich.... 

I'm along the east london line, so crystal palace, new cross, forest hill, london bridge are all easy,

You're not looking for something at weekends, then? ;)

If I haven't got back to you by the end of tomorrow (oops, today), please drop me a PM.

Perhaps when you find somewhere that looks suitable you could ask to watch an older class? At 6 all classes are very much mixed ability and although some ballet technique is introduced it is mainly about having fun! more serious technique may not be introduced until 7 or 8.