Sergei Polunin - news and discussions

10 hours ago, assoluta said:

Whenever I see there's been a new post, I anticipate primarily heaps of fresh scorn poured upon him...

Is it actually scorn being heaped on him?  I always find that many of the things he is reported to have done or said have amused me, and I have reacted accordingly.  But scorn?  That suggests real nastiness, which personally I haven't seen.

Most posts seem tinged with regret that there was so much he could have achieved with the RB, all the leading roles that could have made him one of the greatest dancers of his generation.  While he has a perfect right to chose a different path, it still seems sad to me. 

And was Polunin poorly treated by the RB?  I would have thought the way he was treated was the dream of every single child who takes up ballet seriously. 

• Like 6

• Replies 383
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Fonty said:

Is it actually scorn being heaped on him?  I always find that many of the things he is reported to have done or said have amused me, and I have reacted accordingly.  But scorn?  That suggests real nastiness, which personally I haven't seen.

Most posts seem tinged with regret that there was so much he could have achieved with the RB, all the leading roles that could have made him one of the greatest dancers of his generation.  While he has a perfect right to chose a different path, it still seems sad to me. 

And was Polunin poorly treated by the RB?  I would have thought the way he was treated was the dream of every single child who takes up ballet seriously. 

I certainly wasn't heaping scorn and meant my post to be humorous.  I regard Sergei as rather a sad case of a wasted talent but it is his business what he does with his life and I wish him good things.  Whether he returns to ballet or not is, again, up to him, but any criticism I have made is regarding his unreliability which I find unprofessional and disrespectful to his audience and to all the legions of people involved in putting on a performance.  I have seen him dance twice - once with Tamara Rojo at ROH when he was totally fabulous and latterly at Sadler's Wells when he was ....well, not remotely fabulous.

One thing we know about Sergei is that he will do exactly what he wants to do which is why I don't worry about him.  For me he has become something of a comic figure, made the more so because of his army of defenders who keep insisting he is  a dedicated ballet dancer who would never let anyone down.  Clearly the evidence is that he prefers to have a portfolio career that keeps him in the limelight and I am happy for him but can no longer take him seriously.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Pas de Quatre said:

In many ways Polunin's story reminds me of Christopher Gable..  One of the finest dancers of his generation, he left the Royal Ballet and ballet completely as a result of their poor treatment of him.  He then forged a successful career in acting, eventually returning to ballet many years later.

Really?  He certainly got all the roles, in fact the first time I saw Fonteyn he was her partner.  I was under the impression the acting profession kept making him offers of work and he decided to make the switch. 

It was the debacle over Romeo and Juliet.  MacMillan created it on Lynn Seymour and Christopher Gable, but it was suddenly decided that Fonteyn and Nureyev would dance the premiere, changing steps and costumes to suit themselves better.  To quote Meredith Daneman's biography of Fonteyn:-

" Little wonder that, within two years Gable should have given up dancing to become an actor.  As for Seymour and MacMillan: they handed in their notices, and left England to work in Berlin. And although each would return .....". 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Pas de Quatre said:

It was the debacle over Romeo and Juliet.  MacMillan created it on Lynn Seymour and Christopher Gable, but it was suddenly decided that Fonteyn and Nureyev would dance the premiere, changing steps and costumes to suit themselves better.  To quote Meredith Daneman's biography of Fonteyn:-

" Little wonder that, within two years Gable should have given up dancing to become an actor.  As for Seymour and MacMillan: they handed in their notices, and left England to work in Berlin. And although each would return .....". 

In his book about the ROH Norman Lebrecht claims Sol Hurok was responsible for the cast change, he wanted a Fonteyn/Nureyev triumph that could be exported to America.  In my opinion Fonteyn and Nureyev were supreme in that ballet, it was years before another couple even came close , but yes, they did change things, they made it truer to Shakespeare.

Christopher Gale was a very engaging personality, but technically couldn't compete with Nureyev and Dowell, making the stage offers yet more enticing.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Fiz said:

I don't like it but I do appreciate the information, MAB. Can we have a dislike button, Ballet Co Admins or would this be opening a can of worms? ?

I've often wondered what pressing the LIKE button is actually saying. Is it, as you suggest Fiz, appreciation of the information/critique? Or does it signify agreement with the content?

45 minutes ago, capybara said:

I've often wondered what pressing the LIKE button is actually saying. Is it, as you suggest Fiz, appreciation of the information/critique? Or does it signify agreement with the content?

I personally use it both ways. Even if I disagree with a post it may be interesting and/or thought-provoking.

• Like 3

Why don't we change the name of this topic in "Sergei Polunin, gossip and speculations"? It would be more pertinent, in my opinion. Meanwhile, if anyone is interested in what Sergei Polunin actually does, the Parma Teatro Regio announced his presence in February 2018, with a version of Project Polunin featuring Echo and Narcissus and Scriabiniana.

http://teatroregioparma.it/Pagine/Default.aspx?idPagina=845

A partnership with the Danceworks International Ballet Academy for a scholarship was also announced:

http://www.danceworks-academy.net/scholarships

Also, I don't remember if the news has already been reported here, but Polunin will also play in another big production, the movie "Red Sparrow" with Jennifer Lawrence. It will be a smaller role than the other movie but interesting, according to the book. I don't want to spoil, so I just say that he will play a dancer and that he will be a bad guy. Not the nineteenth-century meaning of "bad" attribuited to him in the ballet-world, but really bad. There will also be Isabella Boylston, principal with ABT, who will play Jennifer Lawrence's dance scenes.

• Like 2

Thank you for the news about Polunin's role in Red Sparrow. As far as I can see, the title of this thread remains perfectly appropriate as it does indeed cover not only news - further of which you have just confirmed - which is not synonymous with 'gossip', but also discussions, which is not synonymous with 'speculation'. 

• Like 3

21 hours ago, Lilian88 said:

Why don't we change the name of this topic in "Sergei Polunin, gossip and speculations"? It would be more pertinent, in my opinion. Meanwhile, if anyone is interested in what Sergei Polunin actually does, the Parma Teatro Regio announced his presence in February 2018, with a version of Project Polunin featuring Echo and Narcissus and Scriabiniana.

http://teatroregioparma.it/Pagine/Default.aspx?idPagina=845

A partnership with the Danceworks International Ballet Academy for a scholarship was also announced:

http://www.danceworks-academy.net/scholarships

Also, I don't remember if the news has already been reported here, but Polunin will also play in another big production, the movie "Red Sparrow" with Jennifer Lawrence. It will be a smaller role than the other movie but interesting, according to the book. I don't want to spoil, so I just say that he will play a dancer and that he will be a bad guy. Not the nineteenth-century meaning of "bad" attribuited to him in the ballet-world, but really bad. There will also be Isabella Boylston, principal with ABT, who will play Jennifer Lawrence's dance scenes.

Poor Parma!

21 hours ago, Legseleven said:

Thank you for the news about Polunin's role in Red Sparrow. As far as I can see, the title of this thread remains perfectly appropriate as it does indeed cover not only news - further of which you have just confirmed - which is not synonymous with 'gossip', but also discussions, which is not synonymous with 'speculation'. 

Oh I don't know, if news and discussion means 1% news and 99% speaking negatively to somebody more or less explicitly, regardless of what he does, spitting on things he has not done yet, or that he did but that we didn't see or don't know at all...Well yes, then I find the title is very appropriate.
  • Like 3

Goodness. I think that on objective consideration of the thread your percentages are, shall we say, rather skewed. 

I hope that Polunin's prodigious talent continues to be displayed and that he will keep returning to classical ballet whilst exploring all of the other avenues open to him. 

• Like 3

On 2017-6-13 at 17:50, capybara said:

Can't speak for anyone else, but I use it both ways.  Also, I use it to acknowledge someone's direct response to something I've said.  It is a quick way of saying, "Thanks for posting/replying." 

We had a discussion before about a Dislike button, and I believe it was voted down quite vociferously.  It is a pleasant thing to have someone Like your post, you know you have struck a cord with another member of the forum, without their having to be specific. On the other hand, if there is a Dislike button, I think people would get upset and take it personally.  

And I hate to say it, but it could lead to vindictiveness.  It is probably the surest way I can think of to kill a forum where we all post our personal views.  .  If we disagree with something someone says, then we have to do it in a civilised way by discussing it.  Or keeping it to ourselves.......

Edited to add, thanks Alison for the link.  I didn't realise it was so long ago!

Edited by Fonty
  • Like 7

7 hours ago, Lilian88 said:

Oh yes, poor Parma. It must be horrible to have sold out and the theater full of people from all over the world. Full of young people. Really horrible. 

I think you need to apply a little bit of a sense of humour, as I did, based on my experience of watching this programme at Sadler's Wells.  Sergei Polunin is an adult and needs to be treated as such, criticised and praised as the occasion warrants.  Jumping all over anybody who is less than orgasmic about him relegates him to the status of a child.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Fonty said:

Can't speak for anyone else, but I use it both ways.  Also, I use it to acknowledge someone's direct response to something I've said.  It is a quick way of saying, "Thanks for posting/replying." 

We had a discussion before about a Dislike button, and I believe it was voted down quite vociferously.  It is a pleasant thing to have someone Like your post, you know you have struck a cord with another member of the forum, without their having to be specific. On the other hand, if there is a Dislike button, I think people would get upset and take it personally.  

And I hate to say it, but it could lead to vindictiveness.  It is probably the surest way I can think of to kill a forum where we all post our personal views.  .  If we disagree with something someone says, then we have to do it in a civilised way by discussing it.  Or keeping it to ourselves.......

Edited to add, thanks Alison for the link.  I didn't realise it was so long ago!

I agree.  Okay there are times when one wants to say W-H-A-T but mostly it is the gentle supportive and knowlegable nature of this board that makes it such a pleasure and a privilege to be a part of.

• Like 4

The moderators have discussed a 'dislike' button in the past, but for the reasons stated above it is not something we would ever implement.  

So, as Fonty said:  "If we disagree with something someone says, then we have to do it in a civilised way by discussing it."  (bold is mine - please everyone take heed!).

We moderators understand how passionate we all are about our beloved art form, and how this passion can lead to deep and sometimes defensive feelings about a dancer, a piece of ballet, a choreographer, a production, a conductor, a costume, a wig, etc. etc.  Others may feel just the opposite of how you feel, and THAT is where the civilised discussion should begin.... thank you!

• Like 14

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not sure if this is the right thread for this ....possibly for positive news at least ....but Serge Polunin is giving a master class at Danceworks on Tuesday July 18th at 1pm at Danceworks in London.

I think this news also belongs in the Doing Dance thread so may have to start a new one 

The class is open to those 16 plus.

A photo book of Sergei Polunin, mainly consisted of his Project Polunin stage shots (photography by Herbie Yamaguchi) will be published in Japan.(The documentary "Dancer" will be theatrically released on July 15th in Japan)"

http://www.uplink.co.jp/dancer/#book

Also Polunin is part of a campaign of a Japanese retailer/entertainment company and this footage was filmed during his performance of "Take Me to Church" in Tokyo this April.

• Like 2

On 30/06/2017 at 07:35, Naomi M said:

A photo book of Sergei Polunin, mainly consisted of his Project Polunin stage shots (photography by Herbie Yamaguchi) will be published in Japan.(The documentary "Dancer" will be theatrically released on July 15th in Japan)"

http://www.uplink.co.jp/dancer/#book

Also Polunin is part of a campaign of a Japanese retailer/entertainment company and this footage was filmed during his performance of "Take Me to Church" in Tokyo this April.

Pres

• 1 month later...

An upcoming American fantasy film “Nutcracker and the Four Realms” will be released on November 2nd, 2018. The film will star Keira Knightley as the Sugar Plum Fairy, along with Morgan Freeman, and Helen Mirren. 
http://www.insidethemagic.net/2017/07/d23-expo-2017-nutcracker-four-realms-release-date-announced-walt-disney-studios/

So many characters are cast there but the dancers are listed at the very end.

Misty Copeland    ...    The Ballerina 
    Sergei Polunin        

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt5523010/

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...