Sergei Polunin - news and discussions

What I meant was, toursenlair and now voyager- sorry I was writing rather hastily- for the time-1960s- when the male dancer was sometimes not much more than a handy broomstick- he dances  with his whole body, musicality and a passion for the dance and the music.

i can imagine Polunin will be good at showing this style.

• Like 1

• Replies 383
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There is a fabulous youtube clip of Soloviev dancing Sylphides with Makarova- he is so lyrical and musical -dances like a woman.  A truly special dancer and I can see why Polunin is playing him, Look forward to seeing that....I : hope there is a lot of dancing in this film!

Just for the record there is absolutely no similarity in dancing style or physical appearance with Soloviev.  It is very odd casting indeed.

I believe I saw Soloviev dancing Spartacus when the Bolshoi came to the Coliseum many years ago. If I am right I remember him as being a rather heavily built man, very much in the Soviet mould. A very powerful dancer.

Just seen that Les Sylphides clip with Makarova and Soloviev.

And how beautiful it is.

On the SB thread I said how Osipova was one of my top three for Giselle well makarova is one if the top two!!

You can get an idea from this clip how good she would be in Giselle.

She also had the best Swan arms ever ....quite. Revelation when I first saw her.

If only Sylphides could be danced like that ....id want to see it every year!!

This Soloviev looks like a good interpreter of Fokine roles...a much softer style but requiring a lot of strength in the legs though.

Have no idea how Polunin will play Soloviev ....and of course depends in the film which ballet he will portray him in.

Does anybody know if Nureyev and Soloviev were actually friends while in Russia?

• Like 1

I believe I saw Soloviev dancing Spartacus when the Bolshoi came to the Coliseum many years ago. If I am right I remember him as being a rather heavily built man, very much in the Soviet mould. A very powerful dancer.

To the best of my knowledge Soloviev never danced with the Bolshoi, I don't believe he ever danced Spartacus either.

• Like 1

The more I read about Polunin the more I am reminded of his friend and compatriot, Ivan Putrov.  He, too, decided to go it alone but apart from one show dedicated to male dancers I have heard very little about him since he left the RB.  What is he doing now?  Just the odd 'project or two'?

Just another wasted talent?  Sad.

Linda

The more I read about Polunin the more I am reminded of his friend and compatriot, Ivan Putrov.  He, too, decided to go it alone but apart from one show dedicated to male dancers I have heard very little about him since he left the RB.  What is he doing now?  Just the odd 'project or two'?

Just another wasted talent?  Sad.

Linda

I asked about Putrov ( whose dancing I very much enjoyed) on another thread and he is doing a wide variety of interesting things it seems..producing shows and also dancing with various companies ....now, can I find that post?

• Like 1

The more I read about Polunin the more I am reminded of his friend and compatriot, Ivan Putrov. He, too, decided to go it alone but apart from one show dedicated to male dancers I have heard very little about him since he left the RB. What is he doing now? Just the odd 'project or two'?

Just another wasted talent? Sad.

Linda

You don't need to be so dismissive. From his Men in Motion twitter feed he seems pretty busy involving the likes of Muntagirov, Matthew Ball and Edward Watson in his shows around Europe. He wasn't my favourite dancer at the RB but I admire his efforts to create work for male dancers. I remember from older interviews that he enjoyed collaborating with other types of artists and working for himself. Edited by Sunrise
  • Like 7

Putrov dances all over the place, he's off to Japan tomorrow.

Having just returned from Japan, Putrov will be in Moscow, Kiev and Tokyo over the next three weeks. He ably mixes dancing with producing and some teaching. He has his Men in Motion in Kiev in April and he is dancing at a Gala in Luxembourg in May.

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

Odd, though, that when you get to the page about him he's not described as a 'guest artist' - as is Galeazzi, for instance - but as 'former Royal Ballet Principal'.

Later - actually I see he's listed as a guest artist on one list and not on another so I guess they just haven't completely finished their updating.

Edited by Jane S

Polunin's name has been on the RB website for a couple of days without any announcement emanating from the company about what he will be dancing and with whom. As there is no asterisk next to his name and asterisks are the usual way of denoting that a dancer is a guest it will be interesting to discover precisely what his status is.

• Like 3

Considering that it remained TBC for all types of booking, it now seems early to announce Armand, before the rehearsal period.

Perhaps it is merely that someone has invited him for DraftWorks.☺️

• Like 3

I don't want to sound churlish - and I am happy for Polunin - but with so much extraordinary young male talent in the RB's stable just now I was rather hoping that the Armand slot with Osipova might have gone to one of that particularly illustrious number.  I could just imagine Osipova with Calvin Richardson, say.  That too I'm sure would have been special.   

Perhaps the official recognition of this will come with the 2017/18 Season announcements.  

Edited by Bruce Wall
  • Like 2

The young RB male dancers may be stars of the future but Polunin is a star in the here and now.  Box office reaction will reflect that.

Edited by MAB
typo
  • Like 2

Well I'm only pleased in that if he is guesting with Royal may get to see him dance in something decent.

ive already bought my M and  A triple bill ticket...just paid a small fortune to sit in Stalls Circle to see Ferri in this role ....most of the really cheap tickets ( without getting into restrictive views) had already gone by the end of last week!! So have already had to move to,a less convenient date just to,get a ticket at all. But as Hayward will be in Dream then for once I'm sure it's worth paying the extra money......at least still under £80!!!

The thing is if Polunin is due to dance with Osipova in M and A then will feel I will just have to go again 

ive already seen Osipova in the role but maybe too much to resist if Mr Polunin is to be dancing with her in this!! 

Though it's nice to see that the RB are willing to forgive ( maybe not quite forget yet)  Polunin ....and employ him as guest artist .....inspite of all the current talent the Company has.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, MAB said:

The young RB male dancers may be stars of the future but Polunin is a star in the here and now.  Box office reaction will reflect that.

Box Office indeed, It remains to be seen if performances, audience reaction, reviews and  of lesser importance to polunin, reviews are better than for the existing non-stars (apparently). I very much doubt that he will perform better at all.

But I would be happy to be proven wrong 

Edited by SwissBalletFan

(following from MAB).......and, if Polunin is to be Armand, nothing can detract from the fact that he is particularly fine in that role.

There are, of course, many factors in play in the casting but I think that the RB could also have afforded to field one debutante this time round. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, LinMM said:

Actually ( too much wine with Sunday lunch) I don't think I have seen Osipova in this role.....am muddling with Month in the Country role.

has she danced this role with RB before? 

I don't think so, LinMM. I'm very much looking forward to seeing her perform it, even though I have very mixed feelings about the work. The only time it's really worked for me was when Rojo and Polunin danced it in 2013, though Yanowsky was an impressive Marguerite some years earlier.

• Like 2

Yes I liked Yanowsky too.

My faves in the role are Fonteyn and Nureyev......so time for a new fave I think!!

Well it looks like a possible double visit if the two do dance this together! 

When I was booking though it was Ferri who was foremost in mind.