Sergei Polunin - news and discussions

This, google-translated:

Sergei Polunin Ballet left and went to study acting in Hollywood

17: 3010.09.2014470870
The famous and well-known dancer in the world, the prime minister of the Musical Theatre of Stanislavsky and Nemirovich-Danchenko Ballet decided to leave and pursue an acting profession, he resigned from the State Theatre and was a guest soloist of the ballet troupe, told RIA Novosti CEO theater Ara Karapetyan.
Sergei Polunin. archive photo
© RIA Novosti. Vladimir Vyatkin | Buy graphic

MOSCOW, Sept. 10 - RIA Novosti. The famous and well-known dancer in the world, the prime minister of the Musical Theatre of Stanislavsky and Nemirovich-Danchenko Ballet decided to leave and pursue an acting profession, he resigned from the State Theatre and was a guest soloist of the ballet troupe, told RIA Novosti CEO theater Ara Karapetyan.

"Sergei decided to leave the ballet and pursue an acting career. He went to Hollywood, where he will learn in acting school. At 25 years old Sergei Polunin has achieved everything, what can only dream dancer, and decided to start a new life," - said Karapetyan.

If something in Polunin goes wrong or he changes his mind and wants to come back again in the ballet, the way the director said, "the door of the Musical Theatre of Stanislavsky and Nemirovich-Danchenko always open for him."

Polunin was born in Kherson, and studied at the Kiev Ballet School. In 2003, at the age of 13 years with the support of Rudolf Nureyev, he went to London to study at the Royal Ballet School. At the end of the age of 17 joined the Royal Ballet, where at age 19 he became the youngest prime minister in its history. At 22, Polunin left London and returned to Russia, where the summer of 2012, he became Prime Minister of the Musical Theatre of Stanislavsky and Nemirovich-Danchenko. Polunin fulfilled almost all the leading roles in classical ballets. His work has received numerous awards and honors.

RIA Novosti http://ria.ru/culture/20140910/1023547026.html#ixzz3CwZ87Zut

• Replies 383
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Acting is a noble profession .... It demands, however, a personal discipline.  I pray this young man finds a situation in which he can be content with himself and the enviornment around him.  I sincerely suspect his ballet days are over (certainly numbered) and send naught but the very best wishes for his future endeavours where and whate'er they may be.  Fortunately - from a balletic perspective - there is so much male talent now abounding in our world.  Polunin - like the rest of us - must inevitably move on.  

Edited by Bruce Wall

Wishing Polunin every success in this venture.  Many dancers have branched out in acting, although often later in life.  Two examples that more closely mirror his decision are Moira Shearer and Christopher Gable.  Both left the Royal Ballet company at the height of their success as Principals, to establish successful acting careers.  Of course Christopher Gable then returned to ballet in later years.

In the translation of the original article I love the way Principal becomes Prime Minister!  The mind boogles!

• Like 2

Wishing Polunin every success in this venture.  Many dancers have branched out in acting, although often later in life.  Two examples that more closely mirror his decision are Moira Shearer and Christopher Gable.  Both left the Royal Ballet company at the height of their success as Principals, to establish successful acting careers.  Of course Christopher Gable then returned to ballet in later years.

Your comment, 'Pas de Quatre', made me laugh because of a certain memory.  As a child actor I would sometimes walk some distance towards home after West End performances with Christopher Gable although we were in different shows.  We crossed paths as t'were.  (Times were very different then vis a vis the legalities referring to children.)  I probably would have been about 11 years old at the time.  He was a lovely and quietly witty chap.  I vividly remember him telling me that he frequently felt a 'fraud' at the Royal Ballet.  (It must have been a confidence thing.)  I remember him saying that he left 'before they found me out'.  (This is, of course, completely off the topic of Polunin.  I'm not suggesting any association thereto.)  

Edited by Bruce Wall
  • Like 2

Don't believe this is it for Sergei.  He was giving ballet master classes in LA just last week.  Good luck to him regardless of what he decides to do.  He's a dancer of rare talent and needs to be on stage dancing.

I guess he'll have to earn a living until his acting career takes off (*shrug*).

I just hope he won't be exploited by a Hollywood director (making a film about his life?)... and dropped thereafter.

Natural talent for acting is so very different to inborn talent for classical ballet.

We'll see.

• Like 1

I guess he'll have to earn a living until his acting career takes off (*shrug*).

I just hope he won't be exploited by a Hollywood director (making a film about his life?)... and dropped thereafter.

It looks that he is earning now by modelling, which is easy to see by googling his name + Marc Jacobs/ Dior Homme/ Vogue/ Zoo, etc.

A film about his life? Perhaps too early? May be about Nureyev’s life?

On the 7th of December he was supposed to dance “Marguerite & Armand” with Zakharova at a charity gale at Bolshoi:

http://izvestia.ru/news/573801#ixzz3D2QjCZTc

Also “GISELLE” with Zakharova at Teatro San Carlo, Naples in April 14th, 16th, 18th 2015:

http://www.teatrosancarlo.it/pages/stagione-d-opera-e-balletto-2014-2015-1

I admired his talent since his school years and for me, like for many others I’m sure, it will be very sad if this prodigious and unique dancer gives up ballet performances. I wish him a safe and successful sail in what seems to be an unchartered sea.

• Like 3

Baryshnikov appeared in his first film, ‘The Turning Point’ at 29 and in ‘The White Nights’ at 37 and he continued dancing at the theatre and was remaining a ballet dancer throughout all his career.

Sergei now is only 24 ...

No interviews yet, only news from journalists.
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

Sergei was dreaming of dancing Spartacus since seeing Vladimir Vasiliev's video as a child. And he has done it now. There are a lot of photos from 17 October here:

http://vk.com/album6676440_204532246

News from his short interviews and answers to the fans: in November he will dance in "Mayerling" at Stanislavsky, “The Nutcracker” at Novosibirsk in December, then back to the USA for filming in January.

It is a great relief and joy that this unique dancer continues his ballet career.

• Like 9

• 1 year later...

You are so right, Lilian 88. I also entered my post into this topic reluctantly but had to resort to it because the existing topic “Sergei Polunin - News” had been locked on Christmas Eve last year after a rather heated discussion:

http://www.balletcoforum.com/index.php?/topic/1539-sergei-polunin-news/page-8

In fact, there were several Polunin topics here. In my view, there was not need to start new topics after the dancer’s (any dancer’s) new interview, new performance or a new hair-do. All this can perfectly fit into “Polunin News” or “Sergei Polunin News”.

• Like 2

You are so right, Lilian 88. I also entered my post into this topic reluctantly but had to resort to it because the existing topic “Sergei Polunin - News” had been locked on Christmas Eve last year after a rather heated discussion:

http://www.balletcoforum.com/index.php?/topic/1539-sergei-polunin-news/page-8

In fact, there were several Polunin topics here. In my view, there was not need to start new topics after the dancer’s (any dancer’s) new interview, new performance or a new hair-do. All this can perfectly fit into “Polunin News” or “Sergei Polunin News”.

It was directly open a new topic:

http://www.balletcoforum.com/index.php?/topic/12038-polunin-news/

maybe you can rewrite your post there, Amelia, it would be a nice way to inaugurate it! :)

Come on Mods - just change it !

Hold your horses! :-)

There was an old thread called "Sergei Polunin News" which, as has been pointed out, had to be locked, so I have changed the title of this one slightly.

• Like 3

Mods have lives too!  For example, I wrote my post literally just before I set off to explore the delights of Sunderland and enjoy 2 BRB R&Js. Just back to guest house now!

Yes, of course you do, Janet. But you did post on the subject yesterday morning!

Anyway, all is well now. Thank you.

With half of the posts here on the topic of the name of the thread, Can the Mods (quickly) please change the name of this thread to 'Discussions on Sergei Polunin -news and discussions'

I am, of course kidding. Lets hope Sergei does something newsworthy soon :)

Edited by SwissBalletFan

With half of the posts here on the topic of the name of the thread, Can the Mods (quickly) please change the name of this thread to 'Discussions on Sergei Polunin -news and discussions'

I am, of course kidding. Lets hope Sergei does something newsworthy soon :)

I am sure yes, there is Dancer that I hope arrive very soon, and talking about something completely new I think at the work of David LaChapelle inspired by Madame Butterfly announced by Zelensky: names haven't been announced yet, but it's hard not to see the hand of "the Prince" I'm really curious!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

As reported in the article by Robert Dex, Evening Standard 15/4/016, Sergei Polunin will appear as hologram in Symphony to a Lost Generation, "a new show by the composer Adam Donen, which uses holograms to create the illusion of a full stage performance" with Natalia Osipova; "they play a pair of lovers doomed by the approach of the First World War.

Donen said he wanted to "create a work making use of the world's finest musical performers which could be seen, heard and experienced everywhere".

http://www.symphonytoalostgeneration.com/#!book-now/a7dgu

I am very curious about it!