Elmhurst new extended associate programme

SMabbutt

Just received an email from Elmhurst where my daughter is a JA staing they have implemented an associate programme for year 7 up. The message was as below

"For your information from this academic year we have also implemented an Extended Associate programme which comprises of Royal Academy of Dance Intermediate & Intermediate Foundation Level classes along with an optional body conditioning class for students Year 7 age and upwards. Your Son/Daughter will be eligible for these classes on completing the Associate programme but please feel free to spread the word about this new programme which is also open to external students."

I don't have any other information, but I guess it would be on the school website. I thought it might be of interest to some of you.

• Like 3

My DS has done an RAD associate class at Elmhurst for the last 2 years ! He was spotted at an RAD class and invited ! The body conditioning class is new this term ! The other students were all ex year 6 associates who were not at a vocational school ! Good news that they are expanding the program ! :)

• 2 weeks later...

Tracey, I would email them if I were you and ask them to send you the details. I emailed them a year ago on the off chance they had something for my 13 year old and they invited her to assess her straight away and she joined the RAD Saturday program the following Week and had a great year. So don't miss out as the program started this Saturday. Just email them as they may not have updated their website yet.

My friend has told me about this, a shame as my dd has just started year 7, if I had known earlier I would have contacted them.  I have, however, sent them an email to ask for further information and what ages this will go up to.  No response yet, but I'll keep you posted :)

• 1 year later...

Hi does anyone have more information on the 'Extended Associate' programme? I can't find any on the website. Is it an audition-only programme? Or is it only for associates who are now in year 7 doing the RAD courses? Thanks

I'm not sure what the process is this year for people who aren't already associates, but last year it was open to external students. I believe my daughter's home teacher contacted Elmhurst direct, and a couple of students were accepted.

My daughter is an Ext associate at Elmhurst, and has been for about 18 months, she was not part of the younger associate program as didnt become serious about ballet until she was 10/11. I emailed the school and enquired and DD was invited to attend the class , where she was assessed to see if suitable. Not sure if the process has changed since then. There are 3 levels aimed at aprox Adv1/intermediate and inter foundation, according to my Dd they do not follow the exact syllabus but it is that level and supports the syllabus, she finds it extremley good and has improved her technique.

Edited by Loulou
  • Like 1

Have you tried contacting either of these two Ladies for info?

Léonie Locke
Regional Manager
Royal Academy of Dance
Midlands and East of England
Email: LLocke@rad.org.uk
Tel: 01453 767851
Mobile: 07554 457260

Louise Gould
Regional Administrative Assistant
Royal Academy of Dance
Midlands and East of England
Email: LGould@rad.org.uk
Tel: 01386 40935
Mobile: 07554 457257

I’m with RAD at Elmhurst this Sunday the 8th May for a couple of hours and next Sunday the 15th all day, its quite likely I will see at least one of these two ladies if not both. I’m happy to ask any questions you may have, if that helps.

I think you do have to contact Elmhurst direct.  Even going back five years or so, my DD was at class with someone who went off to an Elmhurst class afterwards and she was too old for JAs.  We were told then that it was a scheme just for the Elmhurst Associates who had not gone to vocational school.  At that time it was not generally open to external students but we were told (again by a parent) that by contacting the school they did sometimes allow other students to join.

My Dd's audition consisted of her taking part in one of the classes, im fairly sure this is the first " formal " audition for this programme. I can tell you a class consists of barre work, then centre work, groups of 3 or 4 from the corner doing combinations of exercises and then in lines where the front line is rotated. My daughter is in level 2 age 13 , she was in grade 6 Rad and intermediate when she started. I dont think there was anything she hadnt already done. The class is very focused on technique .

• Like 1

My Dd's audition consisted of her taking part in one of the classes, im fairly sure this is the first " formal " audition for this programme. I can tell you a class consists of barre work, then centre work, groups of 3 or 4 from the corner doing combinations of exercises and then in lines where the front line is rotated. My daughter is in level 2 age 13 , she was in grade 6 Rad and intermediate when she started. I dont think there was anything she hadnt already done. The class is very focused on technique .

Thank you, that's really helpful.