Good luck to all new dance school students

JulieW

The new academic year is zooming towards us and I just wanted to wish everyone luck, but especially those students (and parents) who are new to it all.

It can feel really daunting now it's so close (after mainly being excited up to now). Remember it's normal to be nervous and you are not alone.

Parents - you're lucky to be able to link up with lots of like-minded people on here. We didn't have that luxury when my son was off to WL 10 years ago (hfbrew and I met back then!).

Lots of children will be homesick to a lesser or greater extent. This is normal - speak to the house staff and be guided by them. My son was used as an example for years of someone who was about as homesick as they get but still managed to get over it and succeed! Some won't be homesick at all - don't take that as an insult ;-).

There are lots of ups and downs while they're at vocational school - appraisals, being picked or not for parts etc - try to enjoy it - it goes so fast and I wish I could turn the clock back and do it all again - well, sometimes :-)

Not everyone will make it to the final year, nor will everyone become a professional dancer, but it's a fantastic opportunity and they will gain so much from the experience.

(I wonder whether, in a few years I'll be saying that perhaps they'll meet their future lifelong partner...)

You'll miss them a lot but they'll soon be home.

Good luck and best wishes from me.

(And make sure you tell other parents about the forum - there's still lots who haven't found us.)

• Like 43

Great post Julie, I was also reflecting on our 10 year journey!

My sympathy to all you parents carrying your mobiles all day long waiting for any contact at all!

My ds first text was "fine". Yep just that, didnt even bother with a full stop!

Whilst remembering every student away from home deals with the situation in their own way its also worth remembering that they are also being normal in that for some its normal to phone every 5 mins, others not at all! Not sure which is worse....

• Like 6

Can we also spare a thought for all those dancers starting or staying at "ordinary schools" who may have mixed feelings about not going away.

I personally know of several dc who had to turn places down due to financial reasons.

There is not just one way to achieve your dreams. Enjoy your school & dance school, keep working hard & your day will come.

• Like 19

Good luck everyone, been there and worn the T shirt so to speak. All I can add is it gets easier and becomes in a way normalised. You will miss your children, but this is their dream. A big journey, enjoy and hold on tight the roller coaster is about to begin. Always remember your children are exceptionally lucky to be having this opportunity. As a mum I won't lie, it does hurt a lot when you miss them, but what is the alternative stop them from going, I think not.

• Like 3

Good luck to all the excited children and hugs for all the nervous jittery parents.  I don't think the nervous jitters really go away until you actually see them again at exeat or half term.  Phonecalls and facetime are good and offer some reassurance but there is nothing quite like seeing your child's face light up as they talk endlessly of school to know you have made the right choice.

On the subject of phonecalls, remember also that some children also go through phases - calling when they are feeling down (for the only 5 minutes of feeling down of the day), not calling when they are busy or sometimes avoiding calling because they are happy and hearing mum or dad's voice makes them feel homesick.  I know my youngest DD refused to talk to her sister when elder DD phoned home that first half term, just because hearing her voice upset her because she missed her so much.  Same with her brother who went to uni at the same time.

Anyway, try to enjoy the rollercoaster.

• Like 3

all the best to all our dc whether they are going to vocational school or taking another route, whether they are just staring or returning...all of them are precious and special and unique.

Enjoy your life, each one of you.

Live well and live blessed

(feeling a little emotional myself....)

Edited by cornishprincess
  • Like 11

Our DS started at the State Ballet School in Berlin in January of this, as it as his greatest wish. He was only nine at the time, but adement that he wanted to go and fully aware that he would be away form home, only a two-weekly visit by us possible, as it is about a 5-6 hour drive from where we live (depemding upon traffic, which is generally bad), but he insisted this is what he wants to do. Hence we let him go and the first two weeks were difficult for all of us, his older sister included. The only communication we had was via whatsapp and it never went beyond "yes", no" fine. We agreed every day to call, at a time specified by him and shortly before that time he would send a message asking not to call. However, after the first two weeks were over, all was fine and the messages had more content and we spoke on the phone at least once a day. he has been home for the summer break just now and I was dreading him going back and the same procedure starting again, but all was and is fine. The main thing to consider in all of this are how the children, and surely if we know that they are happy, we are a lot happier too:)

• Like 6

I met my daughter yesterday in Covent Garden after her first week at Upper School. She is loving being independent and travelling in each day on the tube,she seemed so confident and happy and I thought how lovely being in the hub of things at such a young age....I think she's really going to grow up this next year! She's really enjoying being at Wolf house and fending for herself although I don't know how long this novelty will last!

They have broken them in very gently this week with only an hours ballet class each day and I think she's keen to get going.....probably next week will be more full on. They were lucky enough to watch Lauren Cuthbertson and Vadim Muntagirov rehearsing Manon in one of the studios......I confess to being jealous of this!!

Today she is meeting her two sisters for breakfast in CG.....one lives up there and the other is modelling for LFW.....and then older daughter and DD are off to the butterfly exhibition at one of the museums.

My husband and I will be gardening today!

• Like 9