Tring 1st day help

amanda-w

I can't believe it's almost time to pack DD off to Tring. I've read through all the handbook and letters etc and I understand they have to wear school uniform on Sunday when they arrive. Does this have to be the formal blazer or can DD wear her cardigan or jumper?

Also are there any other new 3rd form starters on here? DD is anxious she'll be the only newbie :-(

Hi amanda-w,

It's safest to take the blazer with you, but she'll probably be fine with her cardigan for newcomers day.  She may well need the blazer on Monday for school photos, then for Christmas Concert in the church and possibly Founders Day at the en of the year, but that will be about it for the blazer!

I'm not sure if there are any new 3rd Formers, but 3rd Form has a good mix of lovely girls both in boarding and day and they'll whisk her up and look after her! 

Is she boarding or day?

Thankyou we'll have the blazer to hand but she'll be very pleased to know she can wear her cardigan :-)

She's boarding and getting really anxious about meeting everyone and not being up to their ballet standard. I hope she's going to be ok .. Getting emotional just thinking about it now :-( I wish next weekend would hurry up and come so we can get all these anxieties over with.. Mine and hers :-)

My daughter is a prefect this year and no doubt they will all be there to greet you and welcome your dd and you to the Tring family! They are well looked after. Exciting times for all who are starting and returning back!

• Like 4

Sorry just another quick question, Is it normal for boarders to take 2 cases plus all their bedding. I'm wondering if we have too much luggage or is this normal ?

He he dont worry! In my time Ive seen two car loads worth for some folks! Youve done very well to get down to two cases! Enjoy the excitement and the well earned cuppa ( or something stronger) at the end of the day. And congratulations too on being able to let your dd go, its the hard part of parenting but also satisfying when you know you are doing the best thing by your offspring!

• Like 3

I was just wondering the same thing after seeing it all packed. Individually there doesn't seem to be much (not masses of uniform, vocational uniform or casual clothes) but put it all together.....!

When you have to collect it at the end of term or year there will be a lot more tun they went with!  Their possessions seem to breed and I still can't get mine to pack in an ordered manner when packing at school - going always very organised, coming home think it is just thrown into cases as and when finished with. I suppose they are trying to pack everything whilst still needing it so have an excuse. 

• Like 2

I was just wondering the same thing after seeing it all packed. Individually there doesn't seem to be much (not masses of uniform, vocational uniform or casual clothes) but put it all together.....!

Harwel, what year is your child going into?

If I cry my daughter will kill me :-( and if dad crys ...I'll kill him. We're going to be a nightmare but will try not to stress and enjoy it :-) got a little leaving party to deal with first.

• Like 1

Hello. Can I ask,just a general question? What do the families do who DON`T have cars? I don`t drive, and if my son goes off to Uni [he keeps changing his mind] I worry about how we will get all his things there. Unless he is driving and has his own car by then.

Hello. Can I ask,just a general question? What do the families do who DON`T have cars? I don`t drive, and if my son goes off to Uni [he keeps changing his mind] I worry about how we will get all his things there. Unless he is driving and has his own car by then.

Train and taxi, lots come from overseas so are very limited and have to purchase the essentials when they arrive. If they are limited by what needs to be carried or size of car they are more selective about what they need. There is a company that will courier boxes from home to uni whose name escapes me.

• Like 1

Unibaggage.com sends boxes or bags ahead so you don't have to carry as much. Then most universities will have packs of kitchen stuff or bedding you can buy from them. Some (mine does this) will organise trips to IKEA or supermarkets in the first week for anything you can't/forgot to bring! Lots of people have to fly, the train is possible :)

• Like 1

Well, the day has arrived. I'm feeling excited for DD but also anxious and a little sad that I'm not going to have my "shadow" with me every day. DD is very excited and can't wait to put her uniform on today!

Good luck to all the DC's starting today - we're looking forward to getting to know you all :-D

• Like 5

On our way to Tring now . DS moving up to 6 .1 and living off site ! Just briefing him about white garments and coloured garments re washing machine lol !!! Another chapter begins . How quickly time goes . Each time he comes home I measure him !! The years at Tring have served him well , he has grown in confidence as well as stature , and the dance training is amazing . To those beginning the Tring a ling journey today - I have a small lump in my throat for all of you - but I'm sure you will be happy and fulfilled , the magic of Tring is very real . I wish you every success and happiness . Xx please pm me if you need any help or advice xx

• Like 9