Pointe Shoes - How many pairs to pack?!

Lifeafterballet?

I know each dancer is different ...... but how many pairs should I send DD with initially?

I fully understand her feet may change due to the increase in training, and she will probably need to be re-fitted when she comes home next, but I don't know how many she will get through in the first half-term .....

I'm not really sure I really want to know the answer ....

Also, to darn or not to darn?! Thank you for any advice :)

What year group will she be going into? If she is going into yr7 I would imagine that she won't be doing a great deal of pointe work and would say one pair in current use and another pair to be breaking in ( just in case) would suffice. However, I hate to imagine how many the upper school students go through! Can't help there, maybe I should start saving now though

Yes where is she going? And I am assuming 6th form age? I have average instep very strong feet and got through 4 pairs in my first half term, two of which were quite battered already but were old favourites! We were refitted when we got there but I stuck with my new bob martins as I loved them. You can preserve them with ronseal wood hardener, I used Klear floor polish but ronseal is good. I never found shellac that great. Also keep them aired out of sweaty bag so they dry out and harden again. If they are off the shelf she isn't going to timbuktoo so u can send in an emergency. I would think 4 with one of those pairs being worn in would be ample for half a term.

• Like 1

If I remember correctly from what my dd read to me, Central ask for two pairs in the first instance so they can check fit/suitability and then10 pairs for the first term! As my dd has high arches and goes through shoes quickly there will definitely be darning & hardening to try to make them last a bit longer. Having several pairs on the go allows them to dry out fully between wearings. As she will be based in London she can always collect more shoes from the Freed shop as she needs them. :)

• Like 1