RBS JAs - Trying again

HappyGirl

I would have thought tall and skinny is exactly what they are after.  However, the Royal can afford to be very choosy I guess, especially with girls.  My DS had been doing ballet for years before I realised the importance of turn - out for example - I guess they are looking for lots of things.  I would say try again because there are just loads of stories about people getting in on second/third/fourth attempts....Good Luck!

• Like 1

Hi southerndancemum

Funny my dd is quite petite and I wondered if she wasn't long and tall enough for RB! Guess it's impossible to know ultimately what they want. I do think the audition in itself is good experience if they want to go to vocational school. This year dd auditioned for RB and was so nervous, felt totally overwhelmed by actually being there and she came out looking thoroughly miserable. She auditioned for Tring CBA but was much more

Relaxed and came out beaming. She did get a place there. But I think all audition practice will be good as she wants to apply to schools next year, so I think we will try again.

• Like 1

Hi southerndancemum

Funny my dd is quite petite and I wondered if she wasn't long and tall enough for RB! Guess it's impossible to know ultimately what they want. I do think the audition in itself is good experience if they want to go to vocational school. This year dd auditioned for RB and was so nervous, felt totally overwhelmed by actually being there and she came out looking thoroughly miserable. She auditioned for Tring CBA but was much more

Relaxed and came out beaming. She did get a place there. But I think all audition practice will be good as she wants to apply to schools next year, so I think we will try again.

Hi Amos73. I doubt height is the issue as there are some very small ja's and mids. I think proportions i.e. long legs and short torso are probably more important. As there are only a limited number of places however, it is probable that your daughter was just not one of the best 7 or 15 children in terms of physique and technique they saw out of the hundreds that applied. There are so few places and they will of course take the best they see. That's why others are often successful on future occasions as they are suitable but there were just not enough places for all. Since it was your dd's teacher who mentioned her physique, why don't you ask for clarification from her as to what she believes is unsuitable for royal. Then you can see if you feel this may be an issue or whether there were just better dancers on that particular day. Too often we look for what is wrong with our children rather than considering, with limited places, that there was just someone better. :)

• Like 3

Hi balletmumfor2 it wasn't my dd whose teacher referred to height. I was just saying to southerndancemum that whereas her teacher thought her daughter was too tall I wondered if my daughters physique might not be what they look for because she is small. But yes,I agree they only have limited spaces and there were obviously other children who were more what they were looking for.

Edited by amos73

Hi thequays,

Ok that's interesting to hear. My dd does have all those things (she isn't tall but has long legs and short body, very good feet and long neck). She has good turnout but it isn't 180 degree. I'm guessing RB only take those children who have perfect turnout?

• Like 1

Hi Amos, still undecided here. Teacher said it was probable it was a no due to body shape - she's tall and v skinny so no idea what she means and didn't want to ask in front of DD

We would be looking at a yr 5 place

May go just for the class exp again but personally I think it's hard not to get hopes up no matter how you say you feel about no expectations :)

Hi if your daughter is keen to audition I would let her, it's a lovely class to do my DD got in at year 4 and thoroughly enjoyed the experience! Our teacher had asked if I had actually gone on the website and seen at what the children looked like as my DD didn't look like that. However my DD was desperate to go and she has gone through 3 years of JA's and is now an MA! If I had listened or looked st photos she may not have had the lovely opportunities and experiences that she has gained in the last 3 years!

Good luck!

Ax

• Like 5

I have already posted last month about my DD auditioning for New Zealand's JA equivalent national programme (age 11). It's in a week, and I have spent a few evenings reading every post on here about JA auditions! Was feeling very negative about putting her through this, but she had a really good private to prepare for it yesterday. I think she's ready for it now. HOWEVER, our annual end-of-year dance show is on the same day, and the audition starts just as she is meant to arrive to prep for the show! Fortunately they are both at the same venue, and both sides know about the clash. So I will be poised with her costume and make-up the second she comes out. Can do the hair beforehand, and the studio has scheduled her dance near the end of the show but we are just hoping for half an hour to take a deep breath and get sorted. We are both the types of people who like to be prepared and not 'rushed', and it's her first audition. The other girl from her grade who is auditioning has gone to heaps of musical theatre auditions and is used to the competition circuit and dashing from classical to jazz to lyrical. We only started privates in Feb and competitions in Sept so are still quite new to it all. Just hoping we will be calm – and I wanted to say how grateful I am for all the posts here that have made me feel better about it all!

• Like 1

Thank you both – got the letter about what to wear today, and it's socks... when she's been in tights for the last four years! But after reading about socks in this forum, I realise it's to see their muscles/feet, and will lend her a pair of mine. So cool to have support from fellow travellers!

• Like 1

Thanks Tulip! It just says 'white or pink ankle socks' so I'm guessing they realise none of the girls wear socks for ballet after age five and aren't expecting you to buy a pair especially. With only a week's notice, I just KNEW they'd want something she didn't already have. I have 'trainer socks' in pale pink, so no cuff on them but they cover her ankle bone and I'm sure they'll be fine. I get the impression that things are a little less formal in NZ (and have lived in the UK for ~half my life so I have some understanding of the differences, though not in the ballet world!). I do appreciate you checking!

Edited by Cara in NZ

The reason they ask for socks is probably so that the children can easily take them off to enable the panel to asses their bare feet.  With older children who would be in tights, Associate schemes often ask for "transition tights" which have a hole under the sole of the foot to allow the tights to be rolled up round the ankle, again to show bare feet.

Thanks, JulieW. You're quite right – these are 'trainer liners' so fairly thin. But we are going to have a grand trying-on session as she is at 'that age' and worried about any immodesty around the 'bikini line'. So as she just needs to wear a plain leotard, I will get her to try them all on without tights and see what she feels comfortable in. I'm thinking not black? She is a long, slender build so I thought just no low-cut leglines as we want them to look as long as possible? Any other tips?

My DS auditioned for JA's for the first time for yr6 and got a yes. He also got Royal Ballet Summer School.

I was surprised as he had the proportions, musicality and performance but he didn't appear to have turn out or the feet.

Well over the last year his turn out and feet have really developed now his legs have grown more.So it was there all along!

It has taken 3 years to show as he is yr9 now. X

• Like 4

My DD appears to have all the right things in all the right places – BUT she is naturally reserved, especially in unfamiliar situations, and so I can imagine her not getting in simply because she doesn't have an extrovert's enthusiasm and outward focus. Hopefully the more she performs, the better she will be able to convey her 'inner sparkle'!

• Like 1

Just reporting back – audition was yesterday and seems to have gone well (AND I bought ballet socks in a '30% off hosiery' sale). But I gathered more info off a mum who knows a girl who got in last year. It isn't as comparable to UK JAs as I thought – it is for the junior development programme at our national ballet training school, but there is no quota and they only take a handful of kids who they see potential in. Last year they took three kids from our region! And there were 48 at the audition yesterday. So we are expecting a no and trying to forget about it. It's all good experience, and she said she enjoyed it, even having to go straight into make-up afterwards to dance in two end-of-year studio concerts! Thanks for the good wishes, tips, and support.

Edited by Cara in NZ
  • Like 3

• 1 month later...

Just for those who were interested, DD didn't get in. But seems ok about it, and has a huge challenge already this year as she is going from Grade 3 RAD into Int Foundation. I'm pretty sure, from looking at the audition checklist of things, that out of ten requirements she maybe met eight or nine but, as I said to her, I suspect they only take people with all ten. So we will work on her weaker points (jumps and sparkle, aka 'performance quality'). I thought you could only audition once for Yr 7 but since find that they were numbered in age order. As she was 19 out of 48, that means two-thirds of the kids were older than her and so presumably they do take some later if they are slower to develop all the qualities. I am leaving it until later in the year and will then enquire whether she wants to try again. I'm slightly relieved that now we 'only' have five classes a week instead of seven!

• Like 2

Hi Cara - sorry to hear your news but you sound like you have a very positive attitude to this and I wish you luck for the future.  I think it's really good that you posted this because this forum can show up a one-sided view otherwise (of course people prefer to post successes) and dancing is a series of two steps forward, one step back.....All the best. Zoo

• Like 1

Just for those who were interested, DD didn't get in. But seems ok about it, and has a huge challenge already this year as she is going from Grade 3 RAD into Int Foundation. I'm pretty sure, from looking at the audition checklist of things, that out of ten requirements she maybe met eight or nine but, as I said to her, I suspect they only take people with all ten. So we will work on her weaker points (jumps and sparkle, aka 'performance quality'). I thought you could only audition once for Yr 7 but since find that they were numbered in age order. As she was 19 out of 48, that means two-thirds of the kids were older than her and so presumably they do take some later if they are slower to develop all the qualities. I am leaving it until later in the year and will then enquire whether she wants to try again. I'm slightly relieved that now we 'only' have five classes a week instead of seven!

Regarding age Cara, I think it's just the way the cookie crumbles so to speak. Our dd has always been No 1 in RBS auditions, and I presume it won't ever change from year to year. It is very unlucky that another girl born 363 days earlier is in the same year, and a year at that age can be vast in terms of maturity, ability etc. They have to have a cutting off point somewhere though, and the older they get, the gap won't matter so much.

• Like 2

Thanks so much ZooZoo! I hadn't posted before as it was a 'no', but then, as you say, I decided that it was important to record the setbacks as well as successes. It's been good for helping us get dance into perspective as it is slowly creeping into so many parts of our life. DD (11) told a friend last week that she'd like to be 'a dancer or a doctor'. Hmmm let's see. I figure you can still dance while being a doctor (not thinking about comparative incomes at all!)

• Like 1

Sorry to hear your news Cara but your DD is young and there are many other posts about children trying several times before they get in as they change and grow at different rates.

Vonrothbart - it can be a disadvantage being the oldest in the year as well as often will look more physically developed compared to the younger ones which can definitely work against them sometimes.

• Like 1

Thanks Ribbons – yes, she's young, and also had only started doing private lessons and competing in 2014 so she's had a big learning curve (also her first audition). 

I wasn't very clear about the age thing – our JA programme starts at Yr 6 so we were already a year late as they prefer them to start then (age 10). So she was trying for Yr 7, but another girl from our studio was auditioning for Yr 8. So as two-thirds of the kids were older than DD, I figure that probably half of them were auditioning for higher levels and so we may try again for Yr 8. It gets harder to get in each year though as they expect DC to be at the level of the kids already in the programme. So we'll see how the year goes. I did get the support of both her teachers before I applied so I don't think I'm being unrealistic.

So nice to have a forum to go over this stuff with others who understand!

• Like 2