Pointless scientific discoveries

taxi4ballet

Who eats burnt toast anyway? :wacko:

We lived down the road from my Nan and Granddad.  My Mum wasn't very good in the kitchen so I spent my childhood running up and down the road with full pans one way and empty pans the other.  When my Nan died my Mum had to ring my Aunt and ask her if she had to take the plastic bag with the giblets in out of the bird before she cooked it.  She used to burn everything so that is how I got used to eating it!  Over the years since, I have weaned myself off most burnt offerings but not eggs (which have to be incinerated) and toast!

• Like 2

We lived down the road from my Nan and Granddad.  My Mum wasn't very good in the kitchen so I spent my childhood running up and down the road with full pans one way and empty pans the other.  When my Nan died my Mum had to ring my Aunt and ask her if she had to take the plastic bag with the giblets in out of the bird before she cooked it.  She used to burn everything so that is how I got used to eating it!  Over the years since, I have weaned myself off most burnt offerings but not eggs (which have to be incinerated) and toast!

I used to go to Uni with a girl who could only eat things if they were burned as her mother had burnt everything all her life.  It was strange but she seemed happy if we left her food in the over until it became charcoal.  I suppose it's what you are used to.  

• Like 3

Exactly Hudds.

Two ex-colleagues went for a meal some years ago and both ordered their steak "well done".  The Chef came out of the kitchen to see them to say that he was not prepared to cook steaks "well done" and persuaded them to try medium, which they did enjoy BTW!

As I mentioned I like my eggs incinerated.  At a hotel in Dubai I asked for an omelette from the egg chef one morning.  He was about to put it on my plate in a state that I considered raw so I asked him to carry on cooking it.  His face was getting stormier and stormier until about 2 minutes later it was cooked to my satisfaction!  I didn't dare ask for an omelette again!

• Like 2

Exactly Hudds.

Two ex-colleagues went for a meal some years ago and both ordered their steak "well done".  The Chef came out of the kitchen to see them to say that he was not prepared to cook steaks "well done" and persuaded them to try medium, which they did enjoy BTW!

As I mentioned I like my eggs incinerated.  At a hotel in Dubai I asked for an omelette from the egg chef one morning.  He was about to put it on my plate in a state that I considered raw so I asked him to carry on cooking it.  His face was getting stormier and stormier until about 2 minutes later it was cooked to my satisfaction!  I didn't dare ask for an omelette again!

I'm a bit like that with scrambled eggs - can't cope with the supposedly correct sloppiness, I like mine bouncy!

• Like 2

I hate the texture of undercooked meat and fish, so I always ask for things to be well done. People over here just expect that Brits want their meat cremated, so nobody seems surprised when I ask for salmon to be well done.

For some reason I really loved burnt toast when a child but have gone off it now particularly in recent years and in fact only like minimal toasting now.

But it's amazing how much our parents infuence us one way or another eventually!

Nearly all the foods that my mother and I did real battle over I really love now....so looks like she won in the very long term!!

• Like 1

Given all the publicity about sugar levels in food being more of a danger than fat, I saw a birthday cake on sale in the supermarket this morning called Secret Sweets. It was a vanilla sponge with some sort of jammy, creamy filling. The top was iced and sprinkled with jelly beans and the secret sweets were a stash of smarties inside the cake, as shown in the serving suggestion photo on the box. The ingredient list looked like a recipe from hell.

Imagine serving that lot up at a children's party - they'd be bouncing off the walls and barfing all night. I felt ill just looking at it.

• Like 2

The keys to eating: balance, balance, balance. I'm pretty sure a birthday cake isn't going to do any harm to kids, unless they're allowed eat far too much of it.

(And the whole sugar - bouncing off walls thing has poor evidence for it.)

No, I don't suppose the birthday cake would do actual harm, unless health conscious children decided to throw it at each other instead of eating it. All those smarties flying through the air could be lethal.

I think the bouncing off the walls scenario comes from a tendency to blame the food, rather than being a result of excited party behaviour becoming overexcited, tired, tearful and then quite possibly sick.

As I recall, a sugar high makes you feel shaky and slightly wired. A peculiar feeling I remember from once eating something that had had too much sugar put in by mistake.

I gather children are in more danger of obesity and rotten teeth from consuming too much sugar. Apparently the numbers of young children with rotten teeth as a result of poor diet is at an all time high.

The key to a healthy diet is indeed, moderation and balance. It isn't hard to eat healthily and much of the time it is cheaper. It is just a matter of education and ultimately, attitude. In my opinion.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Here we go again! What's peanut shaped, massive - bigger than the Empire State Building more or less, potentially hazardous and coming our way. Maybe.

It's another asteroid. Or is it the same one as before? I thought that one wasn't due until 2880. I can't keep up. Should we be afraid, very afraid or totally, like, cool? Do I still have to go to work?

Edited by Jacqueline

That one's probably fine: we know it's there, we should have a good bit of warning if it looks like hitting us and time to do something about it. It's the one we don't see that you have to worry about!

Perhaps we will be so busy gazing at the one we can see that the other one we can't, will just sneak up and catch us out. We deflect the one we see, the congratulatory backslapping commences, the music swells then BOOM! And I don't mean Heavy D!

Probably won't matter by then. There are enough things already here to be afraid of. May as well keep calm and carry on, as it were.

Edited by Jacqueline

Perhaps we will be so busy gazing at the one we can see that the other one we can't, will just sneak up and catch us out. We deflect the one we see, the congratulatory backslapping commences, the music swells then BOOM! And I don't mean Heavy D!

Ah, but don't you see - that's the answer! We stand Heavy D where the asteroid is going to strike the Earth, and it will bounce off him...

• Like 2

Taking the scientific part of this thread's title, has anyone been to see the Soyuz space capsule that brought Tim Peake & co back to earth last year,currently on display at the Science Museum? It all looks so tiny, I can't imagine three people all done up in their space suits crammed in there for hours. Takes some guts to do that!

• Like 2

Taking the scientific part of this thread's title, has anyone been to see the Soyuz space capsule that brought Tim Peake & co back to earth last year,currently on display at the Science Museum? It all looks so tiny, I can't imagine three people all done up in their space suits crammed in there for hours. Takes some guts to do that!

I was down in that there London Last  week and  had some time to kill so  popped down to south Ken  rather than run the risk of spending even more money  around covent garden

, Soyuz  are tiny compared to the command module of  Apollo , but  the Soyuz programme has  tended to be more aobut gettign people places rather than being a  base of operations 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...