BBC Young Dancer Competition

drdance

Not quite sure how this all works - it's being televised in April - so do they show all the category finals (hope so) ?

Do the winners of the category finals then go into one big final and a winner/second place/third place is selected ?

Wish it had had more publicity - its on one of the smaller channels and showing major talent in our country !

We have to poke up with Jeremy Kyle and watching horrible people swearing at shouting on prime television - this makes me really cross !

Why don't they prompt our talented young dancers more and give them the recognition they deserve  :angry:

• Like 10

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not quite sure how this all works - it's being televised in April - so do they show all the category finals (hope so) ?

Do the winners of the category finals then go into one big final and a winner/second place/third place is selected ?

Wish it had had more publicity - its on one of the smaller channels and showing major talent in our country !

We have to poke up with Jeremy Kyle and watching horrible people swearing at shouting on prime television - this makes me really cross !

Why don't they prompt our talented young dancers more and give them the recognition they deserve  :angry:

When I was at school in the 70s, practically everyone I knew was following the BBC's Young Musician of the Year, and quite a few of them started learning an instrument as a result.  Of course, there were only three channels and fewer other distractions in those days. But from the Wikipedia entry for BBC's Young Musician of the Year, there appears to have been a progressive sidelining of the competition:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BBC_Young_Musician_of_the_Year

Regional heats were televised in 1978; a round before the category final was aired until 1994, and again in 2002 and 2004. From 1978 to 1986, all programmes were broadcast on BBC One until it was moved to BBC 2 in 1988; however from 2002 to 2012, the heats were moved to BBC Four  with only the final aired on BBC Two. In 2010, highlights of the new semi-final stage were also broadcast on BBC Two. In 2014, all stages of the competition moved to BBC Four, however the category finals and the grand final were broadcast on BBC Radio Three.

There has also been criticism of the format http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/classical/features/bbc-young-musician-2014-forget-the-format-give-us-the-music-9364814.html

Hopefully at least some of these problems will be addressed for the BBC Young Dancer. They have lined up serious folks from the ballet world and their publicity outside the dance world has probably not really started - it was good to hear that they are filming in one of the competitor's schools.

With social media, it must be a headache keeping the results a relative secret until they are broadcast.

Yaffa

[edited for typos]

Edited by Yaffa

I've heard that the category finals will be shown one each Friday for the four Fridays leading up to the live final, with the last one being the ballet final on the 7th May before the live final on the 8th. :)  

As I understand it, there is one winner from each category who then goes on to the live final, as well as one "wildcard" picked from across the rest of the finalists. Then from live final there is one overall winner.  :)

Edited by Chassé
  • Like 3

I know which is the student from Tring as before that student went to Tring I taught them for a few months. I didn't know about their involvement in this competition and I am very proud! (purposefully being vague as I don't know if I it's right to identify them).

They seem to be from:

Contemporary finalists: Rambert, Northern School of Contemporary Dance, Central, Dance City's CAT & Ballet Central.

Ballet finalists: Tring, KS Dance?, Elmhurst, ENBS & Ballet Central.

(hope I haven't got it wrong)

• Like 2