Lots of Grand Battements...

LupusMelis

Does this count as 'doing dance'? mods?! Please remove if it doesn't :)

On Friday 22nd August I will be attempting to set a new world record for the total number of continuous grand battements at Hype Dance Company studios, Sheffield. I'm making this attempt to raise money for my own training goals as well as raising for my two favourite charities (Cats Protection League and MacMillan Cancer Care). This blog post explains more so please check it out if you can, and come and watch me as I attempt to break the record if you're in the locality at 4.30pm on the 22nd ;)

skydancermel.com/2014/08/06/world-record-attempt/

• Like 1

Thanks for the support everyone! Since my whole point in doing this attempt is to raise the money I need for my training fees for Laban (over 12k) I would need to raise a larger amount in order to contribute to both MacMillan and the Cats Protection League. And I'm a crazy cat lady so I would prioritise CPL first ;) I hope people will get behind me!

Just thought,Is someone from the Guinness Book of World Records going to be there monitoring you? 

Thanks thequays. I've already applied to Guiness Book of World Records and I will need to provide them with video footage of the attempt in order for them to verify it. I will also need a ballet expert present and a key member of the local community so that it's all above board :)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone! There's 23 hours left to sponsor my record attempt via Kickstarter: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1671982406/world-record-attempt-grand-battements so if anyone's thinking of doing so now's the time to do it!!! ;)

I've managed to arrange a free Ballestics taster session with Jamie Thomson before I make my attempt on the 22nd August too, AND, I'll be running a little raffle with Mr David Plumpton's new Andrew Lloyd Webber CD as one of the prizes!! If anyone wants to be entered into the raffle get in touch via the link in my signature. Here's an event page I created for the record attempt, easily shareable too (hint, hint!!) https://tackk.com/w5zq3n

• 2 weeks later...

I saw at https://tackk.com/w5zq3n that Skydancer established a world record (subject to Guiness approval) with 1,265 grands battements in 30 minutes - congratulations!  Hope there's a success with the course funding...

Are there any 'aesthetic' considerations for what counts as a grand battement for such records?  I hadn't really thought of grands battements as an 'endurance' test, but am curious about strategies to maximise the number,

Yaffa

• Like 1

Thanks Yaffa! I've done a quickie blog post about it and linked to the last five mins of my attempt here: http://skydancermel.com/2014/08/23/boy-did-this-bitch-kick/ Sadly the course funding isn't successful yet, I didn't raise anywhere near as much as I had hoped in terms of donations and sponsorship :(

GBWR didn't really supply much information about the aesthetic considerations only what was used on the website: 'The exercise is where the working leg is raised from the hip into the air and brought down again with both knees kept straight. This must be done with apparent ease, the rest of the body remaining quiet. Grands battements can be taken devant, derrière and à la seconde.' it makes me wonder if they even have video footage of the previous person's attempt since I've searched everywhere for it and couldn't find it. I'm so grateful to Jamie Thomson (Ballestics, Ampersandance and RBS/Rambert grad) for being my ballet expert on the day! Although we both spotted some errors with my ballet technique such as lifting with the glutes (no surprises, really given how many I was knocking out!), he seemed pretty confident that each of my 1265 attempts would be viable. Guess I'll just have to wait and see what GBWR say...

I'm feeling pretty exasperated and very low right now! The full footage of my world record break has been lost and today I've been mocked online by one of the persons who lost it. Here's a Google+ post explaining more https://plus.google.com/u/0/+MelWSkydancer/posts/WmrFXn1bRj5 :( I have the last 15 minutes of footage recorded on a mobile phone and statements from official witnesses who were there at the attempt but I don't know if this will be enough to get it verified.

Sky dancer I' m so sorry, I hope what you have is enough for GBR. I am shocked that you have been mocked like this I don't know what to say. I hope you are able to sort something out and that you are able to continue with you dream of going to Laban.x

• Like 1

The forum can't do anything formally but as individuals we can all offer support to Mel.

Yes, this is probably what I meant! We are probably all outraged on Mels behalf and my gut reaction was to march (or courru?) en masse but that would probably be counter productive!
  • Like 3

Thank you so much everyone for your support! My friends have really rallied 'round me today and I'm so grateful to them and to you for sharing my outrage and exasperation!!

The individual concerned has stated on Facebook that he is leaving the enterprise, and I have alerted quite a few prominent Sheffield folk to his behaviour.

Right now I'm waiting for Guinness to get back to me and let me know if the footage and witness statements I have will be enough to verify the attempt. Even though the video starts halfway through it is clear from my physical condition that I had been doing the grand battements for a while, and at times one of my witnesses does shout out the numbers of how many I am doing. I will keep you all posted when I hear more from GBWR! x

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...