Northern Ballet Academy Summer School Leeds

Hull

My DD (14 yrs) is taking part in the NB Int Summer School starting on 28 July. Her grandmother is taking her (we live overseas) and I am looking for things for her to do in the day and DD to do in the evening in Leeds.

GM is unfamiliar with the area, but is fairly active so anything a short bus ride away may also be suitable. Any suggestions gratefully received.

Also if anyone has a DC who would like to make contact, my DD would be grateful as she will not know anyone on the course. Thank you.

Hello Hull, welcome out of the lurking shadows.  I've edited the title to make it clear that you are talking about the summer school in Leeds.

If DGM likes browsing around shops, IMHO Leeds is the place to go!!!  As well as the new Trinity Centre (high street shops on the whole but very nice) and the Victoria Quarter (high end shops) there are endless streets to explore.  I love mooching around the Exchange building too.

The Museum/Art Gallery on the Headrow is a great place to wander around.  As is the Armouries Museum, which is reasonably close to NB's HQ.

Halifax is within easy reach of Leeds by train and the Piece Hall there is a sight to behold.  Last time I was there, a lot of the shops had closed but there were enough to wander around and a couple of cafes.  It's close to the train station too.  There is also a lovely department store called Harveys and the market in the traditional Victorian market building is interesting too.

I'm not sure of the best way to get there from Leeds but Saltaire near Bradford is utterly fabulous!

Harrogate is an hour away on the bus (the bus station is very close to NB's HQ).  Or you could change buses in Harrogate and go an extra 15 minutes to glorious Knaresborough.

There is a cafe that is open to the public in NB's HQ - they do nice sandwiches and cakes.  By Leeds Grand Theatre there is the Grand Arcade that is currently being refurbished but at the Vicar Lane end there is a retail space full of interesting stalls and a couple of nice cafes.

For the evenings, there is a cinema in the Trinity Centre.  Shrek is on at Leeds Grand Theatre but it looks as though WYP is dark from today.  There are also some nice eateries in Trinity on the top floor - I like the Mexican Cielo Blanco.  If you like Indian food I would HIGHLY recommend Akbars on Eastgate Street.  Wonderful Ancient Egyptian decor, fabulous food and reasonable prices.  The portions are usually so big my friend and I share a starter and a main course so it is very cheap for us!

Sometimes Leeds has events on in the likes of Kirkstall Abbey so it may be worth enquiring.  There is a tourist information centre at the Railway Station.  I am sure your DD and DGM will have a wonderful time!

• Like 3

My DD (14 yrs) is taking part in the NB Int Summer School starting on 28 July. Her grandmother is taking her (we live overseas) and I am looking for things for her to do in the day and DD to do in the evening in Leeds.

GM is unfamiliar with the area, but is fairly active so anything a short bus ride away may also be suitable. Any suggestions gratefully received.

Also if anyone has a DC who would like to make contact, my DD would be grateful as she will not know anyone on the course. Thank you.

Hi I go to northern and will also be at the summer school and would be happy to talk to her so she knows someone before we start :)