English youth ballet - 2015 dates

balletmum20

Pups is Bradford not any good it's only 83 miles for us and a train ride away?!? Shame there's nothing nearer although dd probably has too many commitments todo EYB this year shame :( xxx

Hi C4D. Pups' dd and my ds will have AS levels next June so prob not a good idea to be doing those dates sadly. Buxton might work, provided most rehearsals were in 1/2 term week next October. I imagine that's too far for you?

That's fab information everyone, thank you. Do EYB say before the auditions what the rehearsal dates are so that you know whether you can make them all?

You can email to ask for an idea of rehearsal dates before the audition but they don't usually confirm them definitely until they have the venue confirmed. Can't remember with ours when that happened.

• Like 1

When my daughter danced with EYB last year they had a casting session after school late afternoon/evening before the summer holidays. They then had rehearsals for 4 days in the holidays 2-8 (ish) and then Sat & Sun afternoon rehearsals for 2 weeks, then Fri, Sat & Sun the week before and then Thurs eve, Fri and Sat of performance days. It was quite intense but because the bulk of rehearsals were during the hoiday it was manageable.

• Like 1

Those who successfully audition are given an information pack on the day confirming all the rehearsal and performance dates, together with forms for things like fees, permission for time off school and performance licences (if needed) etc.

Not everyone takes up their place, and reserves do get called.

Rehearsals are normally held at a large local school which has suitable dance studios/theatre space. There are usually about 10 rehearsal days, plus the casting day and tech/dress in the theatre. Rehearsals are usually Sat & Sun for several weeks before the performances, and if over school holiday they often have an intensive Wed-Sun rehearsal period.

Can't remember exactly, but I think in the past I've asked for a idea of rehearsal dates before the audition to check that they are ok and don't clash with anything else, as they are keen on commitment.

• Like 1

Pups is Bradford not any good it's only 83 miles for us and a train ride away?!? Shame there's nothing nearer although dd probably has too many commitments todo EYB this year shame :( xxx

It's about 3 hours to Bradford for us unfortunately C4D.I might have considered it, since its so long since DD's last EYB,but as Cathy says its a bad time with regards to exams,plus we have a family wedding around the same time. Ah well, cest la vie. I do hope DD gets the chance to do it again before she leaves for university though as she has always enjoyed it immensely.

• 1 month later...

I don't know, but based on our previous experiences I would hazard a guess from looking at the performance dates that the main run of rehearsals will be February half term week, with probably another couple of weekends shortly before or after. The rehearsals are usually packed in fairly tightly before the performances. I doubt there will be any rehearsals before Christmas, but the best thing to do is to email Miss Lewis and ask. She is usually very good at providing info like this as they would rather not offer places to students who can't manage to get to the rehearsals anyway.

Good luck with the audition if you decide to go.

• Like 2

Thanks! Partly what I was hoping to hear - tho we are currently down to do lots of festival work that week, but that can always wait if she ends up successful.

Not sure I'm ready for the commitment of it but if she gets in I'll fully support in it somehow:-)

Guess I'll email miss Lewis and find out more

Do you have to provide photos like the associate applications?

Great to hear they're returning to Southend, shame Hannah's 18 now! :( EYB is a fabulous opportunity for young dancers and worth every penny!

Will she still be 18 Sheila? Remember it's ages 8 to 18 inclusive, so as long as she hasn't had her 19th birthday she would still be eligible. I don't know if they take the age on the audition date or performance date though.

• Like 1

Miracle - my dd's auditioned 4 times and we've noticed that usually there are very few boys in the senior audition, including some who may be relatively new to ballet, but who have probably done other types of dance before.

They try and take as many as they can, I think.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...