Teen Vogue`s Strictly Ballet

Lisa O`Brien

Has anyone seen the series on You Tube about students at the School of American Ballet? Very interesting,especially seeing Peter Martins watching class looking for potential dancers for the Company. Don`t know how to provide the link,sorry. Apologies if this is already mentioned somewhere else on this forum.

Yes we saw it and really enjoyed following the fortunes of the pupils .... was great to see inside the school and interesting that the Company operated a bit like RB in that they select their new members (corps I presume) from the school. What struck us was how confident and articulate the pupils were.

• Like 1

Re heels - SAB teach a method based on Balanchine's influence. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong but I believe that there is less emphasis on putting heels down in jumps and more emphasis on quick, nimble but high jumps. I think it's to do with the perception that if dancers make a concerted effort to put their heels down sometimes this 'stops' them at the bottom of the jump and can reduce the light, springy quality so sought after.

There was a discussion about this somewhere else, I think related to the prix de Lausanne?

Yes had seen that before but she was a little flummoxed by it. Ha ha. She said well we are always told to put our heels down!

Interesting to see info re injury rate.

It obviously can't pose a problem for them otherwise they wouldn't do it.