Royal Ballet School auditions at Summer School

Tulip

I believe summer school candidates can audition for the Royal Ballet summer school on Wednesday, does this normally happen at this SS. My daughter won't be auditioning as she will be going into her final year. I wonder if this is more for the over seas students?

Edited by Ian Macmillan
I have deleted your duplicate posting.

Yes there is a formal audition for full time Upper School every year at the summer school. They usually take no more than one or two but sometimes don't take any. It is useful for international students who may not have been able to attend the auditions earlier in the year.

There is no formal audition at White Lodge summer school but if there is a student they like they may offer them a place.

• Like 2

Yes there is a formal audition for full time Upper School every year at the summer school. They usually take no more than one or two but sometimes don't take any. It is useful for international students who may not have been able to attend the auditions earlier in the year.

There is no formal audition at White Lodge summer school but if there is a student they like they may offer them a place.

This happened to a student of mine many years ago. Unfortunately she hated the whole experience, gave up Ballet and became a renowned violinist instead!
  • Like 8

To avoid confusion (esp. for non-UK residents reading this post!)  the title should read " Royal Ballet SCHOOL auditions at SummerSchool".

The Royal Ballet (company) does not audition at the RBS Summer School :D

(I recall reading in a local newspaper that an 11 year old was successful in auditioning and had gained a place at The Royal Ballet!

Edited by Nina G.
  • Like 4

last year they took 2 boys and 1 girl from the upper summer school…i think it's good to try…one of the 2 boys was a finalist in the audition for the upper school in the last march but he didn't get the place…he tried again during the summer school and he got a place...

good luck!!

I suppose so, tutugirl, but part of me thinks it's a bit of a kick in the teeth for Elmhurst to invest in these pupils (who, lets face it, possibly auditioned for WL at year 7 and were possibly unsuccessful at the time) only for them to leave. The grass is always greener, I suppose. 

• Like 6

I suppose so, tutugirl, but part of me thinks it's a bit of a kick in the teeth for Elmhurst to invest in these pupils (who, lets face it, possibly auditioned for WL at year 7 and were possibly unsuccessful at the time) only for them to leave. The grass is always greener, I suppose. 

I do agree, but from what we know of the RBS graduate destinations (I know that they were an exceptional year this year) compared to Elmhurst, I really wouldn't blame the children/parents for saying yes to the offer....(and this is coming from a devoted ex- Elm !)

• Like 4

The Elmhurst boy has turned down his offer of a WL place and is staying at Elmhurst for year 8 :)

Good luck to both Elmhurst girls, wishing you all the best at WL you'll both be missed by all your friends especially in your year groups, keep in touch xxx

• Like 3

Yes, there is a stark contrast this year between the success of the Elmhurst graduates and the success of the RBS graduates in terms of graduate employment. Whether or not one feels it is justified, the RBS has more cachet around the world than Elmhurst. Graduate positions for female students are particularly hard to get.

The Elmhurst boy has turned down his offer of a WL place and is staying at Elmhurst for year 8 :)

Good luck to both Elmhurst girls, wishing you all the best at WL you'll both be missed by all your friends especially in your year groups, keep in touch xxx

I think we need to be careful about people possibly being able to identify these students.

• Like 2

You are of course right Moneypenny but it does make me feel uncomfortable as I do know one of the children concerned and I'm sure the parents would not appreciate their situation being discussed. It may be on social networking sites and I'm sure all the children are talking about it but it still makes me feel uncomfortable.

• Like 1

Well, these children (and their parents?) have told other people and so it's hardly private information and so I can't see what the problem is discussing it on this site. If the parents didn't want other people to know at this stage then they should have told their children not to say anything. Once information gets out you have no control over where it goes.

• Like 2