News from Elmhurst and RBS

Ellie

Just came across these 2 links on facebook....x

http://www.royalballetschool.org.uk/2014/07/special-event-showcasing-british-dance-training/ (A special event showcasing British dance training)

http://www.elmhurstdance.co.uk/Future-Launch.html?utm_source=Elmhurst&utm_medium=Facebook&utm_campaign=10YearCelebration (10 year plan)

Edited by Ellie
  • Like 3

Wow what an opportunity to celebrate our leading four schools ballet training. The schools involved will be The Royal, ENB, Central and Elmhurst. I would love to go and see this event, regardless if my child is chosen or not, fantastic.

• Like 5

It does sound like an exciting event, but lots of young dancers will be disappointed by the lack of YBDY next year.

Especially those who missed out last year by being just that bit young... 

Edited by lisadebs

"ForThe Royal Ballet School this event marks the end of 15 years’ hosting the Young British Dancer of the Year Award (YBDY) in the Linbury Studio Theatre"

There's been talk for a while that it wouldn't continue. It needs to move with the times; what's the point of a competition where a lot of students (and often the star students) at RBS are not eligible to take part because they are not British?

Edited by Ribbons

I think,that while it has been hosted by RBS and most candidates are from the school, it is not in fact an RBS competition but open to all British Dancers (or anyone who has trained for 3 years in the UK). I feel that it is a shame that the platform will be withdrawn - there are other competitions open to all ie Genee,,Prix de Lausanne which will perhaps not be as accessible to the average young British dancer. YBDY was created through the vision of Gailene Stock with the support of Ricki Gail Conway. I am sad that as a legacy to Gailene it will not continue, but I am sure that the planned evening will be fantastic - tickets will be like gold dust ,I'm sure. ;)

Edited by Kat09
  • Like 5

Really disappointing and I agree with you Kat09, as we know it can be a lovely platform for the non vocational bristish student with excellent opportunities involved. We looked into YAGP and oh my goodness the cost! So that is out of the question unless said student does nothing else to support her training. And that is just to send a video in never mind anything else. :( the Prix is financially slightly more realistic but heavens come on UK no offence but keep up! How on earth does one get students seen by school directors in anything other than a class without sending them abroad. Hey ho :/

• Like 2

The Showcase of British Dance Training will probably not be available for the general public to see since in all likelihood every seat in the Linbury will be reserved for parents, relatives and teachers of the students involved. It was hard enough to get a ticket for the YBDY, but now with 4 schools actively involved I see this as very much a "closed" event.

And just a footnote regarding the Elmhurst Gala, Elmhurst alumni Melissa Hamiltom and Nicol Edmonds performed the final pdd from "The Two Pigeons".

That is a good point. It will depend on how many students are involved and how many performances there are but, yes, it will probably be very hard for the general public to get tickets for this event. I wonder what the reasoning behind this change is.

I think,that while it has been hosted by RBS and most candidates are from the school, it is not in fact an RBS competition but open to all British Dancers (or anyone who has trained for 3 years in the UK). I feel that it is a shame that the platform will be withdrawn - there are other competitions open to all ie Genee,,Prix de Lausanne which will perhaps not be as accessible to the average young British dancer. YBDY was created through the vision of Gailene Stock with the support of Ricki Gail Conway. I am sad that as a legacy to Gailene it will not continue, but I am sure that the planned evening will be fantastic - tickets will be like gold dust ,I'm sure. ;)

The Genee is open only to RAD students who have passed Adv 2 with distinction, I believe.

The Genee is open only to RAD students who have passed Adv 2 with distinction, I believe.

I think that you are correct T4B, but RAD is a worldwide syllabus and therefore open to all,British or otherwise. YBDY is/was a competition that was accessible to all British DC without the cost involved in competing in the "International" events and offering a very different alternative to the Festivals that are the mainstay of the British dancing landscape.

RBS students don't study RAD so cannot enter the Genee. It is great for non vocational (and non RBS) students to have a platform but surely there should be a British event which both showcases British talent and in which all students, wherever they train, can compete?

Well I think that is the point of the joint venture between Central, Elmhurst, ENBS and RBS angel - a British event which showcases British training.

When a competition is changed or axed it is always sad for those who hoped to compete the following year - for example the Fonteyn-Nureyev competition which was discontinued.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Although I'm sure many dancers will be disappointed about missing out on YBDY, (if it's not actually happening this coming year), this is also a very exciting, new program! It will be extremely interesting for the 6th formers of these top ballet schools to mix and take class together...it seems a very unique opportunity as they do not often get the chance to dance together and watch each-others performances! (in a non-competition setting)

(For the ones chosen to go of course, I assume it will be quite selective, however still exciting to hear about or watch even if not chosen to go!) 

I'm not sure that it is 'an exciting new programme'; it reads like a one-off event to mark the end of 15 years of YBDY. However, not sure what the point of it is beyond that. All the schools currently showcase their work very ably in their end of year performances. Also not sure why a French man who has worked mostly in America is leading the masterclass to showcase British training?? Surely someone actually involved in British training would be more appropriate? Seems like yet another un-needed distraction from the day to day training to me.

• Like 2

It would be good if someone asked why the competition is being abolished.

Could it be because YBDY’s founding sponsor, Ricki Gail Conway, has withdrawn her sponsorship?

Maybe there are no longer sufficient funds to organise this competition??

I think it sounds like a wonderful opportunity to showcase our best British trained dancers. A fantastic chance to show off our training for a change. It will also be lovely for the schools to work together.

• Like 3