Vocational school summer shows

Luvlyfballet6

The people who got the first contracts in my ds year group were actually the ones who were not chosen for big pieces, never selected to dance with the company and not picked for US, generally they just werent favourites but still benefitted from the training because they worked hard.

And their experiences have prepared them well for the realities of professional life whereas some of those who appeared to have an easier ride and were always the first to get given opportunities have found it far less easy to cope.

Admittedly this is said with the benefit of hindsight because obviously I would have loved ds to have been picked for more roles when he was in training!

There was far more national/ character when ds was first at WL. In recent years there has certainly been more Ballet (lucky things) for the younger years whilst maintaining the tradition of the National dances de Valois introduced. And wearing my "dance teachers" hat I have to say that my ds at a young age was not ready to be showcased in Ballet pieces but had opportunities to shine in Russian, Irish and Morris pieces.

I love Nelly the Elephant as a user name by the way!

• Like 7

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Picturesinthefirelight, Do let us know what you think of the show on Thursday. Last year's show was amazingly awsome and beautiful. I will be there for the final show on Saturday. DD is thrilled to be dancing with an older boy this year for the first time.  :wub:  Can't wait to see that. It was only a couple of years ago she hated all boys. Ha Ha.  :D

• Like 3

BBB, I think that your last post should have been addressed to Ellie and not to me as I *don't* approve of favouritism and I *don't* approve of school shows being dominated by a few students. It's heartening to read that some of the non-favourites have battled through and managed to get contracts at the end of their training but it must have been very difficult.

BBB, I think that your last post should have been addressed to Ellie and not to me as I *don't* approve of favouritism and I *don't* approve of school shows being dominated by a few students. It's heartening to read that some of the non-favourites have battled through and managed to get contracts at the end of their training but it must have been very difficult.

I can't find that comment....so can't reply. Sadielou, I wonder why choreographers are no longer used to work with the younger students, I agree that it would be a solution and would keep the parents and children happy. Friends, I understand and commented on the financial sacrifice, of course parents should see that they are getting value for money, Have any of you ever seen 'The Concert Class' performed ? Personally I love it. It starts off with the little ones doing their plies/tendus etc at the barre and gradually builds up stage by stage, finishing with the big boys and girls performing their grande allegro /virtuosity work. 

Ellie, that sounds a bit like Etudes.

I'm not saying that you approve of favouritism but you are more accepting of the reality of casting for school shows.

I do wonder whether including so many other styles of dance in the lower school curriculum has disadvantaged UK trained students in the past (we're told by hbrew that the amount of ballet has increased at the RBS in recent years). I'm pretty sure that in schools abroad students would be focusing purely on classical ballet from an early age.

Yes, we'll be at the final Ballet Central performance on the Saturday. I'm looking forward to seeing it again.

We'll also be at the graduation the following day - I'm stocking up on tissues for that. I can't believe that the three years have passed and DC is off into the world. I guess that should that be DA (Dancing Adult)? It's going to be emotional....

• Like 4

It has been interesting to hear everyone's point of view especially those who have been to vocational school themselves. I was also interested in Hfbrews point about children who dont have an easy time and how it will have prepared them well for professional life. This was indeed a positive take on my negative comments about those who never get picked for anything. Perhaps after all there is a little bit of room for 'real life' in vocational school, but not too much please! They are children after all and should all be equally nurtured to achieve their full potential.

• Like 8

The Hammond show has its first performance tonight. I am going tomorrow and Saturday, so if anyone is going tonight, please post ASAP as I would like to hear some views before I go! Good luck to all performing - as far as I know, regarding the debate about who gets to do what, all lower school students get an opportunity to perform all genres studied with maybe some small 'parts' within whole class dances being given to selected students.

Looking forward to it very much!

• Like 4

in response to aileens comment on the amount of other dance forms taken and showcased at overseas schools- at DSs school they do almost exclusively classical ballet training and I don't think they do much more than one class a week in other dance forms and perhaps not even that in the lower years.

They will sometimes learn different dance styles as part of an overall performance (eg last spring performance they did an act of Don Q which has some spanish dancing, and also did some contemporary pieces). I don't think there have ever been any traditional dances in the shows I have seen unless (as in Don Q) they are part of a ballet. The matinee show usually has had more dances from the younger students- but again almost exclusively classical ballet (eg my DS's first perf he did Nutcracker PDT, this year some of the younger students did the ribbon dance from la fille mal gardee).

BUT they do often do an entire act of a ballet and then almost everyone is involved (they just don't have enough dancers not to include them!). I guess they may adapt the choreography to the younger dancers? I don't know the ballets well enough to know. 

And the show is clearly designed to show of the most accomplished dancers- so the really exceptional ones will always get the solo part, and the older students dominate the show. I think they work on the assumption that everyone will get their chance once they get to the upper levels, as ALL the older dancers will get at least one dance where they are one of no more than 3 or 4.... 

Apparently, Elmhurst has been consulting on the 'structure' of future summer shows and plans to put on a full length ballet at a local theatre: see the thread RBS and Elmhurst News in the Performances Seen Section of the forum.

• Like 3

Rather surprised that noone else has yet acknowledged the really enjoyable show put on by the RBS at the ROH.

It comprised:

Raymonda Act III (Ch. Nureyev after Petipa) - Upper School

Journeys (Ch. Tania Fairburn) - Lower School

Concordance (Ch. Martin Joyce, Kristen McNally, Alexander Whitley) - Upper School

The Dying Swan (Ch. Calvin Richardson) - performed by Calvin

Jubilation (Ch. Antonio Castilla and Diane van Schoor) - Lower School

Classical Symphony (Ch. Liam Scarlett) - first performance of this new work dedicated to Gailene Stock) - Upper School

and the very special Grand Defile (Ch. Staff of the RBS)

• Like 3

It was a fantastic afternoon as usual and this year my daughter was performing in yr 7 so that made it very special! 

The standard was truly brilliant and the whole show was just so slick and beautifully rehearsed. Well worth the hours the children have put in over the last half term or more!! Well done to all the pupils!!! 

• Like 6

I really enjoyed Central's show last night at the Platform Theatre. It demonstrated the versatility of it's students. The programme was a mixture of classical & contemporary ballet, Spanish , jazz, contemporary and solos.

• Like 1

Tissues packed as off to London today to see DS in his last Ballet Central performance on Saturday night and then their Graduation ceremony on Sunday afternoon. 

Then they are 'professional ballet dancers'!

• Like 2

I once again watched Centrals show. All I can say is they are all very well trained, technically and professionally. The graduates are all very strong and work so hard. It just makes me so sad to see them having to fight tooth an nail for a half decent job. I am sure graduates from all the vocational schools are in the same boat. The commitment from the Central staff toward their students is 100 per cent. Any students starting at Central in September, just be proud of yourselves because you are about to receive excellent training.

• Like 5

I went last night too. I was very proud of my boy who has just finished first year. It was lovely to see some of the pieces from the ballet central show again too.

If you are going today sit in the tiered seating as you can't see very well from the floor as it is level with the stage.