London children's ballet - auditions etc

Bou

A friend of mine has asked me to post the following questions (I have an interest too but for the future) as she doesn't have Internet access easily.

How do you get involved in the London children's ballet audition process?

Is the age taken at application, audition or for show date?

When and where do they do rehearsals?

Does cost much - costumes etc

And any other info greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Hi Spanner - i was the last person to post on the thread LOL

I'm still trying to understand the age requirements vs dates for application / audition / show. 

Even if my friend doesnt follow thru with this, i'm pretty sure we will be but with a late summer birthday, events are often 'just missed' like the summer school in London this year, we were told NO as 4 days too young :(  thankfully a couple of other places have been pretty pragmatic about being that close to the borderline :)

Hello Bou,

My daughters have both done LCB a number of times. 

Basically the form normally comes out in July.  It is £10 to audition and the auditions are in mid/late October and done by age group. 

The auditions are held at the Dance Attic in Fulham Broadway.  The LCB Company are really lovely and the panel is made up of the Choreographer and the ballet mistress and the Artistic Direct.  

They do the audition and a recall on that day if successful.  There are normally about 50 places and 600 audition.  There is then a final audition in November and then you get a letter telling you whether you are in or not.

In December there is casting and around Christmas time you find out your part.   It is very democratic and everyone gets equal time on stage.  The rehearsals are then on Sundays from January to April at the Dance Attic, 12-5 and sometimes they have a Sunday off.

The only costs are £45 towards ballet shoes and another payment of about £35, but I cannot remember what for.  Other than that, it is just buying the tickets.

The Easter Holidays are a solid block of rehearsals and if you child is at state school, as mine were, they do not get any days off for the school holidays, except Easter Sunday.

These are 10-5 every day at the Dance Attic and you sometimes may get a day off or a late call, but it is pretty full on.

They are very clear in saying that it is a big committment and you cannot have time off.

Finally, the performance week is in the Peacock Theatre in Holborn.  They go to the theatre on the Tuesday evening and then all day Wednesday (11am-9pm) for technical and dress rehearsals.  The performances are then on Thursdays (matinee for charity and evening for Premier), Friday (matinee for charity and then evening performance), then two performances on Saturday and Sunday.

It is great fun and I have chaperoned every time and now still go back and help out, even though my daughters (one is too old) don't do it anymore.

I really recommend it, I have stayed in contact with mums that I met 8 years ago and it really changed everything for my eldest daughter.

We went when she was 9 for Jane Eyre.  It transpired that some of the other girls were JAs, which we knew nothing about.

My daughter then auditioned for JAs and got in for the last year.  She auditioned for Elmhurst the next year and got in, but we turned it down.

She went on to MAs and YDA, a vocational day school.  Eventually to SAs and is about to join Rambert in September.

All because of LCB!

• Like 7

Thank you for all the fab info balletmademum :)

We have done a couple of big shows in our nearest City so have no issues with commitment.

Also doing the chaperone role :)

I've dropped them a line just before the suggestion on here - fingers crossed.

Regarding the age qualification, If I remember correctly the age is  taken as at 1st January of the show year and the minimum age is 9.  DD loved doing LCB, it's a great experience both in the main cast and the tour. :)

• Like 3

The age for performing has to be strict because the rules for child protection mean under 9's can't be in the theatre for over a certain length of time. I did an amateur production but I remember them grabbing the 8 year old before she went on for bows and rushed her out of the theatre because it overrun!

• Like 1

Regarding the age qualification, If I remember correctly the age is  taken as at 1st January of the show year and the minimum age is 9.  DD loved doing LCB, it's a great experience both in the main cast and the tour. :)

Much to the annoyance of my son! He was 3 days too young this year. I asked them whether they could make an exception since he was nine before the first rehearsal but they were very strict with the rule.

• Like 1

Hi all,

Just heard back and the confirmation is "Children must be 9 by 1st January following auditions" :)

Neil - guess we will see you there next year ;)

• Like 2