pointe shoe help

ballemum

Can I ask how DD found working with Grishko's Dream Pointe? How long did they last her and are they a quieter shoe? My fitter is ordering me a pair to try but I'm not too sure on them yet as I've been hearing mix reviews. I was using Gaynors extraflex but the pair I was using as a strengthening shoe has now officially had it and I really don't want to touch my brand new pair my mom has locked away so opting for a cheaper shoe to work with. I'm getting the really hard shank ordered in as I was using a medium shank previously before GM's and the shank was not lasting me at all so fitter advised the Dream Pointe when I was there getting new canvas flats and tights. 

Since my last post (9/9) DD has gone through 4 pairs of pointe shoes. Grishko 2007 (H) x2, Grishko 2007 Pro (H) and Bloch Serenes (H). She has a festival in two weeks and has 4 pairs lined up for that including a pair of Dream Pointes, will let you know how long they last her. She does find them the most comfortable to wear.

Bloch Serenes are now counted out, she doesn't like the shape anymore. Normal Grishko 2007 are her favourite but only seem to last a week so we are now ordering a super hard back pair to see if they last any longer.

She wore normal Grishko 2007's for the festival she has just done, they weren't the noisiest in the class but the stage had a very good floor. The next festival she will wear the Pro's for her solo to see if they are quieter.

Watch this space........................

Hours of pointe vary week to week depending on whether she has Tring CBA (killed a pair there on Sunday) or not and how much festival practice. But 2-3hours in class and another half an our solo practice on pointe.

She has been known to kill a pair in one hour long class!

Hi Loulabelle,

I know of someone who wears Grishkos 2007s in their hardest shank (or extra shank added - I don't know which one) with a piece of steel added to the shoes! She has very arched feet and was going through pointe shoes very quickly but these shoes seem to be the answer for her feet and her parents' pockets. I have heard one pair survived a couple of well-known UK summer schools this year. I think these shoes are a special order so maybe it's worth asking about these next time your DD goes for new pointe shoes?

• Like 1

She has been known to kill a pair in one hour long class!

Yes, we've been there too!

Does she have a couple of pairs on the go at the same time? That way one pair can be left hanging up to dry out and re-harden for a day or two. It really does make them last longer. We've found that the quickest way to kill pointe shoes is to wear a pair still slightly damp from the day before.

My dd's shoes have been lasting longer since  we started religiously drying them out -usually by me raiding her bag when she gets in- and putting news paper in them helps to keep the shape and dry more out thoroughly.  Especially with Grishko which seem to go really mushy after an hour but then  completely re-set after two days drying. Also dd now uses GM's hard shank from time to time in less demanding pointe sessions (not an ideal shoe for her but do seem to last) and the intermittant use of the GM's I think this is helping drag out the life of other shoes.  Someone, somewhere is making a lot of money from pointe shoes!

• Like 4

Thank you all for your suggestions, we do pretty much what you've all said, drying out, two pairs (at least!) on the go but hadn't thought of stuffing them with newspaper so will do that after tonights wear. I find I am anticipating the next pair breaking all the time and always have another pair on order, its costing a fortune.

We have just ordered a customised Grishko 2007 Pro with higher vamp and wings and super hard shank but they don't arrive for another two weeks. Dread to think how much they will be costing, but living in hope that they will last at least 2 weeks.

The other thing that frustrates me is the inconsistency in pairs. Tonight she started with a new pair and though they're same size from the same shop as normal, the back comes up much lower on the heel (which she hates) than normal. So I now have to re-position the elastic after spending an hour sewing ribbons etc earlier today :wacko: 

DD can't wear GM's as the toe box on all the pairs she has tried is too short. I'm sure we could get some that would be suitable from USA but I can't afford the flights!!!! :unsure: 

• Like 2

Be interested to hear how the super hard grishko work out.

Yes, GM short in vamp for my dd too so goes too far over sometimes-we probably wont replace them when they die but dd seems to manage with barre work..probably just trying to convince me that its not £79 wasted!

• 4 weeks later...

Quick update following recent festival. We went with 5 pairs of various style Grishkos and DD only managed to kill 2 pairs!

One pair, 2007's with hard back lasted for 3 dances and have one more class lesson left in them. The other pair, 2007 Pro's lasted three quarters of one dance (solo!!) broke whillst she was dancing! Luckily didn't affect her performance, she still managed to dance on and win the class!

Won't be buying bog standard hardback Pros again, even though they were much quieter on stage and looked lovely on DD's feet. Still waiting for the customised pair to arrive.

• Like 1

My DD has got a pair of Grishko Dream Pointes. It's her first pair of Grishkos of any style and she was hoping that these might last longer than her normal pointe shoes. She really likes them and says they feel like they fit really well but for some reason they hurt her big toe nail. I'm really surprised as she has never had this before in 6 years of wearing pointe shoes. Any ideas what could cause this?

My DD has got a pair of Grishko Dream Pointes. It's her first pair of Grishkos of any style and she was hoping that these might last longer than her normal pointe shoes. She really likes them and says they feel like they fit really well but for some reason they hurt her big toe nail. I'm really surprised as she has never had this before in 6 years of wearing pointe shoes. Any ideas what could cause this?

Are you sure her toe nail is clipped right down, I have this problem and have to clip my big toe nail literally as far down as I can. Gaynor Minden do a nice totally toe kit that helps sometimes but a majority of the time I just tape my toe and that helps. 

When I was fitted for pointe shoes, they gave me the 'Gaynor Minden dynamic box liners' which are basically a very thin insole that covers the box on the inside of the shoe, if I remember rightly it makes the shoe a fraction smaller and the wings more supportive, so that the dancer can pull up more, thus putting less pressure on the big toe.

The box liners make such a difference! I think they help with compressible feet (ie they compress a bit when on pointe as opposed to flat so you end up sinking down slightly, that seems to describe my feet anyway!) They also help if you tend to get blisters on your toes (I get them on the front with the tiniest bit of pointe without box liner/tape).

I have quite tapered feet so my big toe is taking most if the weight, I use a gel big tip on big toes & a little piece of make up sponge to go under to small toes to even things up. Pointe is really painful without a big tip!

The box liners make such a difference! I think they help with compressible feet (ie they compress a bit when on pointe as opposed to flat so you end up sinking down slightly, that seems to describe my feet anyway!) They also help if you tend to get blisters on your toes (I get them on the front with the tiniest bit of pointe without box liner/tape).

I have quite tapered feet so my big toe is taking most if the weight, I use a gel big tip on big toes & a little piece of make up sponge to go under to small toes to even things up. Pointe is really painful without a big tip!

I have the same problem, I'm very broad across the top of my foot (I'm a 5X in Grishko but take a M width in GM) but my toes and heel are very narrow. Getting shoes to fit me is a nightmare, it's why I prefer GM cause they do the sleek fit but I'm starting to lean more towards Grishko again. I'm using their demi pointes for class instead of normal slippers and it's far more comfortable on my feet as the normal slipper, no matter how wide it is cuts into my foot whereas on a demi point of pointe shoe for that matter my feet are encased and not spreading out thus evening me out a bit more. 

You shouldn't have weight on the ends of your toes - the box should support your foot and stop it from slipping down into the box. If the box is too wide or to soft, the support will be lacking, resulting in a sinking foot, painful big toe (possible black toenail) and blisters across the toe knuckles.

The box liner helps to reduce the box size, but padding shouldn't be used to make a shoe fit, only to make if more comfortable. Grishko also do a box liner.

I always start a fitting with a gel toe tip and then increase or decrease padding from there. 90% end up with nothing more than a toe tip and a good fitting shoe :)

Hope this helps!

• Like 4

I don't think DD has any issues with toe nails and she says she is not sinking into the box and shoes seem to fit perfectly. She has never had problems with pointe shoes previously but this is her first pair of Grishkos. She thinks it might be something to do with the padding which is already in place at the end of the box, which is not something she is used to. Why do they do that? Surely better to let people decide their own padding needs?

• 2 weeks later...

I am currently a full-time ballet student. Some of my classmates and I have found something quite interesting about Grishko's. 

We have found that the Medium shanks not only break in better than the Hard shanks, they have actually also lasted longer for most of us... 

At least for us (we have quite a variety of feet,) the medium shanks almost always bend at better places, high up at the top of arches instead of low down around the balls, so that they are more supportive and helpful. 

Applying Jet Glue, or any type of superglue, onto pointe shoes also extend their lives.

This may sound weird, but it is just something that we have realised lately. I hope this is somewhat helpful.

• Like 4

In case anyone interested Freed now have a harder shank shoe ( i think made availabke in the last year) . I also learnt recently that they will replace broken shanks - cost i think from £5-10, clearly cheaper than getting a new pair if the rest of the shoe worth saving.

Also Capezio are selling off their Suffolk stock in covent garden store at 70 percent off . Limited range and sizes but we managed to get a suitable pair so could be worth phoning up if size etc known.

• 3 weeks later...

Pointe shoes are meant to last a total of 9 hours which a lot of people forget lol.

I suggest if she is doing a few classes per week she really needs to be using a couple of pairs per week (rotating shoes) so that each pair gets a chance to dry out properly and extend their life span.

I also recommend making sure they are the right width, if there is sinking going on then the platform and box will be dying faster.

And I also recommend use of shellac and glue too.

• Like 1

I am currently a full-time ballet student. Some of my classmates and I have found something quite interesting about Grishko's. 

We have found that the Medium shanks not only break in better than the Hard shanks, they have actually also lasted longer for most of us... 

At least for us (we have quite a variety of feet,) the medium shanks almost always bend at better places, high up at the top of arches instead of low down around the balls, so that they are more supportive and helpful. 

Applying Jet Glue, or any type of superglue, onto pointe shoes also extend their lives.

This may sound weird, but it is just something that we have realised lately. I hope this is somewhat helpful.

I have found this too... Especially with students I fit who typically wear harder shanks. I have done a video about it actually which will go up soon.

Basically, the science is, if you have a super strong foot you need a shank that bends to the arch better. If it's just straight and not conforming right it will have a much higher chance of snapping and not lasting in general.

My DD's Grishko Novas are breaking down on the shank behind the box. The last 3 pairs have done this. She has two pairs which she alternates, but is at vocation and school and doing a lot en pointe so realise her shoes won't last as long, but haven't experienced this previously. The the amount of pointe work has risen considerably. When this happens she loses support in the box, toes curl and bruised big toe nails result, any insights welcomed, though probably need to budget for more shoes. She is going to have a session with her fitter to look at alternatives. NL

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

HI There all, as the Grishko distributor in the UK, I can confirm that no steel is ever placed in the back of a Grishko shoe, no matter how hard... We can (through your local dance shop) special order H, SH, SSH shanks. Don't forget the option of raising the height of the vamp at the front too sometimes- if she is falling out of the fro of the shoe, raising the vamp by as little as .5 cm can make a huge difference to giving more support. Do email us  if you have questions! Best, Amanda

Hi Loulabelle,

I know of someone who wears Grishkos 2007s in their hardest shank (or extra shank added - I don't know which one) with a piece of steel added to the shoes! She has very arched feet and was going through pointe shoes very quickly but these shoes seem to be the answer for her feet and her parents' pockets. I have heard one pair survived a couple of well-known UK summer schools this year. I think these shoes are a special order so maybe it's worth asking about these next time your DD goes for new pointe shoes?

Excellent advice from one of our great fitters! A Grishko Pointe shoe really needs to fit as snugly as possible for all the components of the shoe to work together in perfect harmony. So big toe pads are never a good idea. Starting with just a jelly tip in the big toe, and adding padding if needed is the best way to go. If you really want  a full pad over your whole forefoot, go for something like the Advanced Toe Pad by Tendu which has padding on the top surface of the foot, and thin fabric underneath. You don't need padding underneath your toes- it just stops you feeling the floor, makes the shoes hotter, and you can't tell when your shoes have died!

You shouldn't have weight on the ends of your toes - the box should support your foot and stop it from slipping down into the box. If the box is too wide or to soft, the support will be lacking, resulting in a sinking foot, painful big toe (possible black toenail) and blisters across the toe knuckles.
The box liner helps to reduce the box size, but padding shouldn't be used to make a shoe fit, only to make if more comfortable. Grishko also do a box liner.
I always start a fitting with a gel toe tip and then increase or decrease padding from there. 90% end up with nothing more than a toe tip and a good fitting shoe :)
Hope this helps!

My DD's Grishko Novas are breaking down on the shank behind the box. The last 3 pairs have done this. She has two pairs which she alternates, but is at vocation and school and doing a lot en pointe so realise her shoes won't last as long, but haven't experienced this previously. The the amount of pointe work has risen considerably. When this happens she loses support in the box, toes curl and bruised big toe nails result, any insights welcomed, though probably need to budget for more shoes. She is going to have a session with her fitter to look at alternatives. NL

Hi Nana Lily, feel free to phone us on 01223 861425 and I  can try and work out what is happening for you.   01223 861425 Amanda

Pointe shoes are meant to last a total of 9 hours which a lot of people forget lol.

I suggest if she is doing a few classes per week she really needs to be using a couple of pairs per week (rotating shoes) so that each pair gets a chance to dry out properly and extend their life span.

I also recommend making sure they are the right width, if there is sinking going on then the platform and box will be dying faster.

And I also recommend use of shellac and glue too.

Yes too true! if you are wearing your  pointe shoes more than an hour at a time, swap pairs. If you change pairs before they get too soggy from sweat (some people can lose litres of water through their feet!) you can make them last longer.