Clicky joints

swanprincess

Is it normal for dancers joints to click loudly? My spine and hips crunch a lot-for example at school whenever I stand having been sat for an hour, my back and hips feel tight, then crunch loudly. Also, when I lie down on my back, the middle of my spine tightens, making it painful- is this normal? I have a mild scoliosis- last time I went to the clinic we asked about the clicking/crunching and were re assured that it was natural- but every time I stand up I have to push my pelvis forward so my hips can crack- this releases the tension but obviously no one else I know has joints that click so much so I was just wondering if that is normal/healthy???

I'm not sure if it's normal, but my daughter always has very clicky joints and often says "I need to click my hip" or "I need to crack my back" but she has always just lived with it although we do find she's not as bad if she takes glucosamine supplements.

I thought I'd posted on the previous thread but I hadn't so I'll say it here! Clicks in joints can be caused by a few different things; tendons connected to tight muscles (or muscles with high definition) get pulled tight and if they cross another structure in the joint instead of moving across quite loosely they can sometimes create a snapping or clicking noise.

Another cause of clicking in joints is called cavitation and it is when particles of gases usually dissolved in tissue fluid, or synovial fluid (eg CO2, O2 etc) come out of the fluid and create a very small bubble. This increases the pressure inside the joint. When you 'click' the joint, the bubble pops, the gases re-dissolve into the fluid and the pressure inside the joint falls meaning it feels 'looser' or easier.

Clicking,popping or snapping should only be a cause for concern if it's accompanied by pain and/or locking or reduced range of movement.

• Like 6

Well my knees,hips ,spine and fingers have all cracked since Primary school.There used to be this myth that if you crack your bones too much it develops into Arthritis. I crack my bones every day of my life,i`m 46 and it`s done me no harm [so far.!!]