Auditions at upper schools (RBS, ENBS, Elmhurst)

rede

who got a yes from RBS,ENBS and Elmhurst?

and who from you got a yes from both, which one do you decide it to go?

my daughter will do the auditions next year.

please feel free to share your experience!!

Congratulations to all of you!!!!

DD got a yes from elmhurst. Its a lovely school and she has the added bonus that her year will be the first to live in the new 6th form accommodation building. She's very excited but I'll miss her terribly. She really enjoyed the experience of auditioning and our impression of the school was completely positive. I hope it remains that way for the next 3 years.

• Like 12

Rede she tried Central ,ENBS, RBS and elmhurst and she got elmhurst and waiting list for Central. Now that most of the auditions are over we realise how incredibly lucky she was to get Elmhurst. I think we underestimated the horrific amount of competition out there. There are some stunning student dancers out there, talented and incredibly hard working who ended up with nothing. It really breaks my heart.

• Like 6

• 1 month later...

Hi, I'm new to this forum but I wonder if anybody could give me some advice/opinions on auditioning for ballet colleges/sixth forms? I go to a normal local school that doesn't teach any ballet at all. I'm worried that this would completely ruin my chances as I would obviously be going up against people who have had full time vocational training! Does anyone know the chances of getting into an upper school with just 9 hours of ballet a week. I take part in things like EYB and MTB, but do I maybe need to start more classes? I'm in year 9 so I do have time, but it means so much to me and I want to do everything I can to improve and to boost my chances of being accepted at a ballet college. Any advice would be appreciated! X

Hi Chloeballet13 - my advise will be to supplement your regular lessons where you can,remembering that as you progress through years 10 and 11 your academic work becomes more demanding as well. It really does become something of a juggling act,but saying that, non vocationally schooled children are able to gain places for post 16 vocational places. Are you dancing as an Associate? There are many weekend schemes that you can apply for and if you haven't already done so,apply for a serious summer school - definitely for next year if not this. You could also consider applying to Vocational schools for year 10/11 - whilst your chances of success will be slim (hardly any places) the audition experience will be invaluable when it comes to auditioning for Upper Schools.

Wishing you lots of luck!!

• Like 4

Good luck to your DD Jaylou. Welcome to the forum Chloeballet13. I would suggest talking to your teacher so that she can work with you to make sure you get enough ballet to get you to where you want to be. Its good that you are already doing MTB and that you are gaining performance experience through EYB also. Are your 9 hours of ballet a week including these? Remember it is quality rather than number of hours that count to a certain extent but your teacher will be best placed to advice what you could do to supplement your regular training in your area. If you are within reach of MTB, then possibly within easy reach of Birmingham - she may suggest RAD Associates in Birmingham or BRB Insight Days. I echo the advice of a summer school - some are still accepting applications for this year. My DD is your age and will be attending Ballet Cymru summer school in Newport Wales and I Know they still are open to applications. It is non-residential though. Most of all, please do not worry that you go to a normal school as this will not ruin your chances at all. There will be plenty of people in the same position as you.

Hi everyone, thankyou for all your advice! Unfortunately I don't do any associate programs. I auditioned for the royal ballet SA's this year but was unsuccessful! I did the Elmhurst summer school last year and I'm going to Opes summer school this year, but maybe I will try other associate programs instead. The 9 hours of ballet don't include EYB as the rehearsals only run over a month or so, but again, the advice has gone appreciated! It's given me plenty to think about, I just need to make sure that I don't get carried away and forget about my school work hehe! X

Hi everyone, thankyou for all your advice! Unfortunately I don't do any associate programs. I auditioned for the royal ballet SA's this year but was unsuccessful! I did the Elmhurst summer school last year and I'm going to Opes summer school this year, but maybe I will try other associate programs instead. The 9 hours of ballet don't include EYB as the rehearsals only run over a month or so, but again, the advice has gone appreciated! It's given me plenty to think about, I just need to make sure that I don't get carried away and forget about my school work hehe! X

• Like 1

Chloeballet - it sounds like you are doing all the right things.  See what your teacher suggests for you as she knows you best and knows your area.  You do need to be able to balance school and ballet.  My elder DD did about 9 hours a week max, plus summer school and BRB insight days.  The only associate scheme she did was RAD Associates and then only briefly as it did not exist when she was your age.  But like so many on this forum she was successful at 16 for vocational school.