Eifman Ballet, London 2014 - Rodin & Anna Karenina

The Eifman Ballet are currently at the London Coliseum with Boris Eifman's 'Rodin' (and on Saturday, Anna Karenina). Here are a couple of photos from Rodin, which opened last night

13883650013_b6c9dab14d_z.jpg
Oleg Gabyshev (Rodin), Lyubov Andreyeva (Camille)
© Dave Morgan. Courtesy of DanceTabs / Flickr 

13883530945_c8383da3eb_z.jpg
Rodin (Oleg Gabyshev)
© Dave Morgan. Courtesy of DanceTabs / Flickr

See more...
Set from DanceTabs: Eifman Ballet - 'Rodin'
Courtesy of DanceTabs / Flickr

• Like 2

One of the problems with Eifman - whether one likes his work or not - is that it is not exportable.  When he ceases to work his work will probably die.  It has no future - it doesn't add to the canon of dance repertoire. 

While I do admire the dancers, I think he knows only one speed - full throttle ahead.  There is little to no pacing.  One longs for contrast in mood and tempo.  I can't see that people will come back again and again to see a specific dance work such as one does with Swan Lake.   I have not seen Rodin - but I have seen several of his previous creations. 

I went to see Rodin a couple of days ago.

The dancers are amazingly athletic and move beautifully.

The 'clay sculptures' are clever, and very interesting the first couple of times around.

But I left at the intermission since the piece felt like a non-stop frenzy re-enacting tropes of 'tortured artist' , 'a bit mad' & 'woman trouble' , and I did not feel enough love for the athletic moving about on stage or the nicely displayed chests. I probably took active offence at the 'acting' in the nightmare scene (if that is what is was) where dancers were hamming it up something rotten.

Part of me felt that they should have gone one step further and made it a musical. I kept expecting the dancers to break into song. Bourne has the same effect on me.

I went to see Rodin a couple of days ago.

The dancers are amazingly athletic and move beautifully.

The 'clay sculptures' are clever, and very interesting the first couple of times around.

Hmm, that was pretty much what I would have expected.  I thought about going, but Anna Karenina sounded more interesting, and I didn't think I could face both, from previous experience.