Darning pointe shoes

rainbowmagic

My daughter has recently fulfilled her dreams and been fitted for her first pair of pointe shoes. Of course - now I have to darn them. I have everything I need and have been shown how to darn them. The issue I am having is that I am struggling to get the needle through the satin! My patience is being tested! Anyone have any tips they would like to share?

I managed to get away without darning any shoes - we stuck to suede patches or cutting the satin off - especially while my daughter was growing out of sites so fast - just didn't feel worth the effort!!

But I'm sure you'll get lots of advice on here :-)

I didn't start darning pointes straight away - dd hardly used her first pair before she grew out of them, and probably didn't kill a pair for about 6 months as her feet kept growing! We used the stick-on suede patches and they were fine for beginner pointework.

Edited to add: We were posting at the same time! Good luck with the darning. :-)

• Like 1

And Gaynors are hideous to darn and sew ribbons on to as the satin is bonded to the lining ... But they're now available with suede toe tips sewn on to the platform, so no darning!

Incidentally, I darned my first few pairs as a teen, then used rosin....and never darned DDs shoes. (Bad dance mum!)

Neither of us have used suede patches, but they are popular in the shop.

There have been a few threads on darning shoes - if you search for these you'll find more info. YouTube is good for instructions, or we have a word document explaining how to do it - send me your email address if you'd like a copy.

Sx

Hee hee wicked fairy teacher here. I'm v strict with our students re darning. I've never seen an RB/BRB company pair undarned and I expect the same. I do advise them to wear them once or twice without to loosen the satin then darn them. Heaven forbid we had undarned shoes at US and the sticky patches can get worn after a while and go very slippy. Plus as a first pair it looks so pretty hanging on the wall. I had all my favourite pairs and my first pair hanging up at our wedding tied around my hubby's wheat sheafs and they still looked so ''preserved' :)

Edited by balletqs
  • Like 4

Pictures - my DDs both found darning pointe shoes easier than sewing on fiddly elastics or ribbons onto shoes.  I did the first pair for each of them (my first time too for elder DDs first pair) and the second pair we did together.  Bloch shoes though so did not find getting the needle through that difficult.

I've never darned pointe shoes either, I wouldn't know where to start, DD now 16, wears shoes made with suede tips.  Before she grew out of them so fast it wasn't worth it.   I think that it would be a very good idea for a  ballet class to be dedicated to teaching them to sew their own ribbons, elastics and tips, especially when they go on pointe and start vocational schools.    

• Like 1

I darned every pair I ever wore.  It took me about 20 minutes.  I used a thimble and three strands of matching embroidery thread.

I used blanket and X stitch.  The object is NOT neatness or smoothness - the object is to create traction.

• Like 1

I found needle grabbers very useful, they're round little bits of rubber that help you grip the needle, which was particularly useful for forcing the needle throught the satin. I bought some from John Lewis. Stopped me from sticking the needle through my finger tips and they are more flexible than thimbles.

• Like 6

Well - we're at the halfway point! It has become easier as I've gone on, but it feels very hard to be doing it to a beautiful pair of shoes, especially when the needle pulls small holes in the satin. Although having seen some of the videos on you tube showing what some of the principal danders do to their shoes before they dance in them, it's a small pride to pay!

My daughter was shown how to darn the shoes by her teacher and then came home and explained it to me. They are expected to darn their shoes - no suede tips or patches for us and in a funny kind of way I've really quite enjoyed doing it. My daughter has been dancing since she was 2, so it's almost been like another rite of passage for me.

Thank you for all the tips.

• Like 3

I found needle grabbers very useful, they're round little bits of rubber that help you grip the needle, which was particularly useful for forcing the needle throught the satin. I bought some from John Lewis. Stopped me from sticking the needle through my finger tips and they are more flexible than thimbles.

Never seen these before, but what a brilliant idea! I'm going to invest in a pack; thank you. :-)

• Like 3

Can I just say as well White Lodge girls are expected to darn their own shoes from age 11 and the best in the class gets a commendation. I feel all students should be encouraged to do their own. Edited spelling

Edited by balletqs
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

I have been darning pointe shoes for my dd & her friends for 6 years now. For my dd I view it as a labour of love, for her friends I charged £10 but have recently decided not to do theirs anymore as it takes around 3 hours to darn a pair. Grishko & Bloch are fine but Gaynor Mindens are horrendous (thankfully only ever did one pair of these). I love seeing a finished pair as I have to admit to being a bit of a perfectionist & they are always very neat. It definitely preserves the life of the shoe & I think looks so much nicer than ripped off satin. For anyone wanting advice feel free to ask. x