Associate schemes.

Nancy19

Wondered if anyone could recommend an associate scheme, have been looking at the Tring Associates scheme, My daughter is 12 and is RAD grade 6 and has just taken her Interfoundation exam where she got a distinction. She dances 6 times a week, 4 hrs ballet, 1 tap and 1 modern, but she wants to do more ballet. We are waiting on RBS MA results, have central audition in May but wondered where else to audition for. She is very keen to gain further training, but not sure where else to look. We are about 90 mins from Central London.

Thanks in advance

Nancy ????

As a precaution, don't accidentally get Tring Park Associates mixed up with Tring Park Classical Ballet Academy. The latter is the programme most akin to Associate Schemes at RBS, Central etc. despite the slightly confusing names. :-)

• Like 1

ooh, thanks spanner. Upon looking at the website it is the 'classical ballet academy' I was looking at! Do you have any experience of this??

If you are within travelling distance then I would recommend it, it's well worth the journey for us as they do some good work there and DD loves it. The work is challenging and DD gets lots of corrections which she likes :-)

• Like 1

Thanks Amandalou1978. It looks really a great opportunity, put details in 'sat nav' and is about 1 1/2 away, so similar to London for us. The website states classes take place over 6 Sundays a term, so wouldn't mind doing the journey. Just completed application , just hope she gets an audition as they are only a month away. Thanks for the advice.

That's about the same distance away as us, I don't mind the drive as it's such a nice place to visit it's worth it. I'm sure you will get an audition, I didn't see a cut off date on their website :-) good luck x

• Like 1

Thanks so much for the advice Amandalou1978. How long are the classes and how are they grouped? Is it dependant on ballet grade or age. My DD has just been 12 and is RAD grade 6 and ISTD intermediate. Also is there much to do in the surrounding area. If she was lucky enough to get a place, I have another child to entertain whilst she is dancing!! :) x

Where are you ? If close to midlands there is ballet associates in leicester ran by graham fletcher which is great and midland theatre in hinckley. Or northern ballet does one too i think in leeds.

The main ballet class is 1 1/2 hours then they have a small break and have a 45 minute coaching session. I think they group them in ability/level rather than age as in my dd's group there's probably a range of 10-13 year olds. Dd does grade 6 ISTD lessons at home to give you an idea of her level. Her group starts at 10.30 but the higher grade group start later, I think about 12ish but it might change from September.

Tring school is just off the high street so I think most people go off for a wander and a costa coffee which is very close. I don't know that much about the area as I tend to stay on site. Someone else might be able to tell you more about what's on offer in Tring.

• Like 1

Just to follow up on Guesty's post - in the Midlands there's MIDAS once a month in Birmingham, MTB once a week also in Birmingham (more a 'putting on a ballet' type thing than a typical 'associates' class), BTUK is in hinckley but I'm not sure if they have associates? 

• Like 1

Nancy21 there isnt much to do in tring but im sure youd be fine for a few hours, there is a park and its pretty to walk around the area in the summer,theres a costa and a few other coffee shops, some restaurants, a family friendly pub and some other little shops, quite alot of people just bring the ipad and watch movies while they wait though :)

Thank you to everyone for all the useful tips and advice. Tring looks great and DD will hopefully be auditioning in May. I have younger boys who may have to come with us if hubby is at work, so all the museums park and zoo sounds great!! Just have too get through the audition now. DD really looking forward to it. Many, many thanks to all !

Nancy xx

Edited by Nancy21

There is also a pool with slides and currenty pools in Aylesbury. Non DS and I spent a morning there last year when DD was at Tring summer school. Also there is a national trust park up the road which is lovely to walk or bike in (if you can bring your bikes). The name escapes me at the moment, had a lovely walk there when DD was at her Tring Park 6th form audition in February.

• Like 1

Bristol Russian Youth Ballet Company is alternate Sundays - entry by audition or invitation. See their website for more information (Bristol Russian Ballet School). There's also Ballet Cyrmu Associates and both do Summer Schools too. 

• Like 1

Midlands area associate schemes that I have heard of not mentioned above: Midlands Associates, run by the Parkers , MIDAS, Graham Fletcher Associates, Ballet Theatre UK associates. BBO and checcheti may do regional associates as well as the london based.

• Like 2

RAD hold Associate classes in Birmingham once a month and Birmingham Royal Ballet hold Insight Days and Taster Days.  RAD entry is via your RAD teacher but details are on their website.  BRB - you would need to check the website - they run 4 full days a year (Insights) and various Taster sessions (part days).

DD is at an ISTD school (all the 'serious' ballet schools locally, for some reason, are ISTD for ballet as well as for MT and tap), so RAD not an option unfortunately. The Mristol and Welsh options seem to be for older students only, and BRB for younger ones.

Parenttaxi - the Birmingham Royal ballet insight days and taster sessions do not require you to be doing RAD.  They have just run a set of taster session last week so I think it will probably be October half term before the next set.  They quote RAD grades or equivalent.  Your DD is certainly old enough for a taster session.  The full insight days are based on a min grade of RAD inter-foundation or grade 6 or equivalent from another exam board.  The last one for this session is on 1st June, if your DD is eligible.  Its not quite the same as an Associate scheme but it is a little extra for a DD (or DS) who loves ballet.

http://www.brb.org.uk/insight-days.html?cache=no

Hi 2dancersmum, thanks for that, wasn't aware of RAD associate. Just looked into it and the class take place just up the road from us. Closing date was in March, but will definitely look at it for next year. ????

I've missed the closing date for Tring park, CBA auditions for May so will have to wait till the November round of auditions. Thanks everyone for all the info regarding things to entertain small children near Tring park, it's all been very helpful. ????