For those with 'No's.....

swanprincess

I was going to post something similar on a thread on notapushymum about drama schools training too many graduates with not enough jobs

I personally don't care whether dd ever dances or performs professionally as there will always be something she can do with her training.

What batters is that she is doing something she loves, training in it to as high a level as she can & I will support that.

Her dream is to perform in musical theatre but if that doesn't happen there is amateur theatre, teaching, choreography, vocal coaching (her current aim is to become the youngest ever certified estill voice teacher!)

Competition for places are fierce but Plan B doesn't have to mean giving up the dream, just going about it differently.

• Like 5

I totally agree with you PINTF! Of course we hope our DDs realise their dreams to perform but no matter what I know we did everything we could to help her reach them and so did she. I am confident that the drive and discipline she has gained from her training so far and hopefully over the next three years at Ballet West will stand her in good stead whatever she ends up doing even if its not as the Swan Queen or Clara.

• Like 2

Here is a poem that inspires me through the tough times. Though you might like it Swanprincess. I do not know the author but am a collector of poems.

DREAM

by anonymous

If there ever was a time to dare,

to make a difference,

to embark on something worth

doing,

It is now.

Not for any grand cause

necessarily…

but for something that tugs at

your heart,

something that’s your

inspiration,

something that’s your dream.

You owe it to yourself to make

your days here count.

Have fun, dig deep, stretch,

dream big.

Know, though, that things worth

doing seldom come easy.

There will be good days. And

there will be bad days.

There will be times when you

want to turn around,

pack it up, and call it quits. Those

times tell you

that you are pushing yourself,

that you are not afraid to learn by trying.

Persist.

Because with an idea,

determination and the right

tools, you can do great things.

Let your instincts, your intellect,

and your heart, guide you.

Trust.

Believe in the incredible power

of the human mind.

Of doing something that makes

a difference.

Of working hard, of laughing

and hoping.

Of lazy afternoons. Of lasting

friends.

Of all the things that will cross

your path this year.

The start of something new

brings the hope of something

great,

Anything is possible

• Like 11

Having a plan B doesn't mean giving up on Plan A. It doesn't mean you love your dream less or are less dedicated.  It means being ready for what may come.

The possibility of a career in dance is made up of three major components:  those which you can control, those over which you have limited control and those which you cannot control..

Some of those you can control are - how hard you work, the teachers you choose, your persistence, dedication, care you take of yourself, etc.

Some of those over which you have limited control are - areas which are not your natural assets but you can improve with work.

Some of those over which you have no control are - your genetic inheritance, the demands of the career you want to pursue, accidents, luck.

At some point along the way reality - whether it is yea or nay - will intrude.  

If the reality is "yea" - and your dream comes true - you still need a plan B for when that career winds down and thus a good education will stand you in good stead.

If the reality is "nay" - you can still - with a good plan B - strive to work in other areas of your chosen dream.  And, again, a good education is a necessity.

As I see it - a Plan B, C or D - does not mean you are less dedicated to Plan A.  It means you are a hard working thoughful person who has the intelligence and capacity to adapt to reality. 

• Like 14