WL summer school

vole

The process is a bit hit and miss in my view. My older DD got short waiting list the year she applied and only got to go because someone dropped out days before the course started. She auditioned for school in the January following that and got into school. Little DD has been on short waiting list twice now so not holding my breath. The people/person choosing may be different this year though

It depends on how they do it. I know it used to be Miss Stock as I asked how the chose the kids and was told that Miss Stock did it all by herself and was amazingly fast at it because she had the expert eye...

Hello from Ireland, just de-lurking here to say congrats to everyone that has heard yeses and waiting list!! My daughter's teacher recommended her to try for the WL Summer School this year and we have applied and are waiting anxiously!! She has been constantly asking me since last week if I have heard anything. It looks like the yeses and and wait lists have gone out so I am not holding out much hope for her. We hadn't even known about the summer school in December and realize that it very unlikely to get a yes, but I just wish we'd got our no/yes/maybe email soon, now that I know they are coming out, the suspense is killing me and she will be home soon to start stalking the email herself!! She is only 11 but told me at 9 she wanted to dance professionally lol. Living out in the west of Ireland it is hard to get opportunities for more than a few hours of ballet a week but her teacher is excellent and she has completed her RAD 3 exam with an 87 at age 11...I think this might be behind the norm of ages and levels, but she is loving her dance and is hoping for a good message today.... Cross your fingers we may have the luck of the Irish later, though I do think it is unlikely, it isn't a no till the email arrives!!

• Like 2

Selected waiting list also for us......a bit disappointed as we were in the same position last year but nothing happened after that....does anyone know how that works? Are there rankings? Are we allowed to know our position or at least how many children are on the selected waiting list? Congratulations to all the yes's and good luck to all the others waiting!

DD2 was on the waiting list 3 years ago and they told me there was no ranking and no position given and that when someone drops out, they try and find a similar person (age, level,...) on the waiting list !

Good luck with the waiting!

• Like 1

Well it was a no for us here, but it was lovely that her teacher thought she had the "look" and talent to at least give it a try!!! I think it will be a hard road for us here for her to get the hours of training that make a classical ballet career possible, but we will continue to support her passions and her dreams, there is always teaching or other dance related careers if her big dream doesn't happen!! There is a former ABT soloist doing a summer intensive in the States in my parents town and she has given DD a scholarship to do a two week intensive with her so now we are excited about being able to do that!!! That studio is five minutes from my parents house (I am American married to Irishman!) and it sounds amazing as they have group outings planned after most days of the intensive after their hours of dancing and the maximum students taken are 20 so she will learn a lot!  I have been stalking this forum a lot and am just not sure if she will ever be able to get into the UK ballet schools (not any to go for here in Ireland) but I have had a wonderful time following the DDs and DSs journeys here!

• Like 3

Hi irishballetmom, Don't feel too down hearted it's a very hit and miss affair.

My DS applied for WL summer school in 2012 and did'nt even get waiting list. 8 months later he auditioned for yr7 and was offered a place.

I too am married to an Irish man from Bray County Wicklow. Have a fab summer, the summer intensive sounds great.

• Like 4

We received an email this morning offering my dd a week 2 place.....very happy girl here. Good luck to those waiting to hear and to those on waiting lists. Happy Easter holiday to all as well :-)

• Like 3