Opes summer school

Millie3

DD looking for a different summer school to try this year, which needs to be towards the end of the holidays - from the website this one looks interesting.  Has anyone got any first hand experience?  Especially regarding class size, accommodation (dormitories or single rooms), general standard of participants ( I note no photos are required), also how many older 16+ students attend? 

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I attended Opes last year... We were very fortunate to have the beautiful Ranby House, a mansion used as a boarding school, as our accommodation. The grounds were stunning: we were allowed to explore in the evenings and during lunch breaks! There was one small studio, a Performing Arts centre with harlequin floor, 'proper' lighting and a stage, and a room with carpet (and the most beautiful chandeliers, mirrors, and view into the garden!!!!) which we used for body conditioning.

Breakfast was at 8.30, first class (ballet) was at 10-11.30. After a short break, we had conditioning from 11.45-1.15, then lunch. In the afternoon, we had Contemporary for 1 1/2hrs, followed by repertoire, in which we learnt the Giselle pas de deux, and Nutcracker snowflakes dance. Classes finished at 5.30, dinner was at 6. We watched a Royal Ballet gala dvd on Tuesday, and watched the Seniors rehearse their pas de deux on Thursday, but on the other evenings we were free to do whatever we liked. We had to be in anyone's dorm, being fairly quiet, by 9pm, then in our own dorms by 10pm. There was 2-5 girls per dorm (not sure how many boys shared a dorm!) all of the teachers were really lovely, enthusiastic and friendly: I learnt so much from them!

There were 3 age groups: Juniors, (approx. age 8-13) Inters (approx. age 14-18) and Seniors (Vocational school 6th Formers & Elmhurst graduates). Inters did no pointework (disappointing!!!) but a bit of pas de deux, from what I saw the Seniors did a lot of very challenging pas de deux and pointework: they performed the Don Quixote pas de deux in the end of course performance, which was phenomenal!

The teachers were Olivia Pickford, Shannon Parker (San Fransisco Ballet) Peter Parker (Northern Ballet) and Errol Pickford (ex RB, now teaching Elmhurst graduate year). There were houseparents to care for us in the evenings: they collected the Junior groups' mobile phones just before lights out.

The standard of all the classes was very high, although I found the Inters level class fairly easy. There was approx. 10 dancers per class, so 30 overall. The food was very good: contintental breakfast (cereal, croissants, toast, fruit juice etc) or a Full English on the last 2 days. Lunch was a hot meal, with a choice of salads or jacket potatoes too, and a variety of puddings. Meals in the evening were fairly good too: we had spaghetti bolognaise on Monday, fish and chips on Tuesday- although there was a salad bar too, a bbq on Wednesday, and pizza and chips on Thursday.

I'd say, at £475 for Monday-Friday, the course was fairly good value for money, if not a bit on the expensive side. In my opinion, it wasn't too serious, so would be lovely for a younger student's first summer school- I think the Senior level was probably more intense but am not sure x

• Like 2

Thank you very much for your comprehensive response swanprincess - It sounds perfect for my dd, I shall forward your reply to her - it's a shame there isn't a class between the inters and seniors, for those working at an advanced level but not currently at vocational school. 

• Like 1

I have just received an email from Olivia after sending her an email about the summer school and she told me there were about five girls in the senior group who were not in vocational school:) her email was lovely so if anyone has any questions I would at to email her and she would be happy to answer them :)

If you don't min me asking Swanprincess what grade were you in when you took part in the summer school? I'm only asking as I want to do pointe as I do most of my classes at home en pointe xx

My dd is attending this. She will be boarding. They have been really informative in their emails. Nothing is too much trouble.  My friend's DD attended last year and although she was in the intermediate group, loved every minute and on the back of that has opted to train seriously (if she can) for a dance career. It has changed her life.  She had a lot of fun too.

• Like 2

I'm sending off my application this weekend and will be boarding. As I have said above have exchanged numerous emails with Olivia and nothing has been too much trouble. Even foun out her husband is taking my associates class in July haha:)

i have just recieved a reply from the co founder and she wanted to stress that she is aware there is a rumour going round that only vocational students can be in the senior group and this is not true as she had 5 non vocational students in the senior group last year xx

i have just recieved a reply from the co founder and she wanted to stress that she is aware there is a rumour going round that only vocational students can be in the senior group and this is not true as she had 5 non vocational students in the senior group last year xx

This is the same reply I had from her and it really put my mind at rest! My form is wing sent off this week an I really hope I get a place! Are you going to apply littleballerina?xx

I'm really sorry I think I may have unintentionally started that rumour!!!! All of the Senior girls were so amazing & quite a few were Elmhurst graduates so I thought they were all vocational! Sorry :/ x

This is the same reply I had from her and it really put my mind at rest! My form is wing sent off this week an I really hope I get a place! Are you going to apply littleballerina?xx

i am going to discuss it with my mum now but it is quite expensive however i havent really done a stay away for a week course before so id really like to!! and it looks like id already know 2 people in my group! also anaballerina can you pm me so that at the genee dance challenge we can recognise eachother then well definatly know someone!

I'm really sorry I think I may have unintentionally started that rumour!!!! All of the Senior girls were so amazing & quite a few were Elmhurst graduates so I thought they were all vocational! Sorry :/ x

yeah i think you did lol - are you going this year? thats cool id prefer a challenge and i dance with older and vocational girls most of the time anyway so id love being in seniors! xx

i am going to discuss it with my mum now but it is quite expensive however i havent really done a stay away for a week course before so id really like to!! and it looks like id already know 2 people in my group! also anaballerina can you pm me so that at the genee dance challenge we can recognise eachother then well definatly know someone!

yeah i think you did lol - are you going this year? thats cool id prefer a challenge and i dance with older and vocational girls most of the time anyway so id love being in seniors! xx

Pm'd you tinydancer xx

I echo about Olivia - she seems fab and has answered a couple of questions very quickly.  My dd and her friends are really looking forward to their week away - usually somewhere else for their summer school but doing something different this year and the accommodation looks lovely. They are looking forward to making some new friends.

All the teachers at OPES are amazing and so caring.

Olivia and her very experienced team will no doubt ensure you are placed correctly into group according to your ability.  I don't find this course any more expensive than the others that have been posted as the numbers are kept low to ensure they are able to progress each student.  We have experienced holiday schools where 25/30 in a group are the norm.  I think the phrase 'you get what you pay for' comes into mind!

We have only known these teachers for a year and I can honestly say if you want your DC to progress then you are in safe hands with all of them!  :)

Dd wants to go. She is 12 & doesn't think anyone she knows is going.

We have to decide which week is best to go for. Is there anyone with a child in the junior group & what week are they going?

i will be in the senior group but im going for first week because its all fresh then and no friendships have been made, if you go on the 2nd week then the girls and boys doing 2 weeks will all already know eachother and it will be harder for your dd. if you have the possibilty and can do either time slot that's what id say but obviously its down to personal opinion!

lb xx