YBSS 2014

Happymum

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No problems with parking but we are just in the warming up studio and my DD is overwhelmed by the much older and much more advanced students around her... She is there, at the barre, with such worried face...

Thank you Fiz! Well, it's over now and DD did her best. We both couldn't believe how big/tall and advanced some 12-13 years old can be! There were lots of talented dancers and my DD said that she won't win anything. She found the classes challenging and very "serious" so now she wants to go to YBSS even more as she likes to be challenged! Well, there is always next year.... Hope other DC enjoyed the audition, good luck to all! I

• Like 3

I've just had an email from YBSS and sadly it's a no for my DD :-( . I was supriced to hear that soon, I thought we will be contacted after the York audition.

I haven't told my DD yet. She will be very upset. I don't know what other summer school at the end of July might be good for her. She would like it to be just ballet and quite challenging and serious. And not that expensive as YBSS or Elmhurst :-(

I'm so sorry. There are several others if you search the summer school threads. What about the Harpenden summer school? Spanner's dd had a great time there last year and will be going again this year.

• Like 2

Harpenden is a lovely summer school; it's in the 3rd week of August though. Does it have to be a residential one, Happymum? If not, and if you can get to Central London, then I would suggest either Central School of Ballet's 1 week course or London Children's Ballet lovely summer school - both in July. Both have other dance styles but are mostly Ballet (in fact YBSS isn't 100% Ballet anyway, is it?).

Edited to add hfbrew and I were posting at the same time! :-)

http://www.centralschoolofballet.co.uk/ssccourseoutline.php

http://www.londonchildrensballet.com/training/summer-school/

I was going to suggest Centrals summer school. Ds always enjoyed going there. Looking at website its 28th July to 9th Aug.

And of course all are always welcome at Harpenden!

As Spanner and I posted at same time I thought Id edit the post to say at Central you can do one or both weeks.

Edited by hfbrew
  • Like 1

Harpenden is a lovely summer school; it's in the 3rd week of August though. Does it have to be a residential one, Happymum? If not, and if you can get to Central London, then I would suggest either Central School of Ballet's 1 week course or London Children's Ballet lovely summer school - both in July. Both have other dance styles but are mostly Ballet (in fact YBSS isn't 100% Ballet anyway, is it?).

Edited to add hfbrew and I were posting at the same time! :-)

Snap! Lol
  • Like 1

I was going to suggest Centrals summer school. Ds always enjoyed going there. Looking at website its 28th July to 9th Aug.

And of course all are always welcome at Harpenden!

As Spanner and I posted at same time I thought Id edit the post to say at Central you can do one or both weeks.

If I remember rightly the two week course at Central is (or used to be) the selective Advanced Course for 14-16 year olds.
  • Like 1

Thank you all! My DD is only 10 and away on August so that's why end of July is a must for us. Also we live far away from London, so it needs to be residential.

Anyway! Fingers crossed for others waiting to hear from YBSS! Hope someone from the forum will get the scholarship :-)

Young Dancers Academy SUMMER COURSE 2014 - SWAN LAKE

for students aged between 8 and 16 years
21st - 25th JULY from 10.00am - 3.00pm
All enquiries to 
youngdancersch@aol.com
£250 for 5 days

Homestay (in a house very near to the school may be available)

Edited by angel

Happymum - so sorry that it was a no for your little dd, perhaps they just felt she was a little on the young side this year. The experience won't have been wasted, next year she will know what to expect and go in with all guns blazing :). It is an increasingly popular course and competition is very fierce - she did brilliantly to take part in a class of older girls, I am always amazed at how brave our young dancers are in pursuing what they love to do. 

• Like 5

Thank you Lisadebs. Yes, I am very pround of my DD and think that she was very brave and did really well and kept up with all the older ones.

The YBSS said in their email:

We have had a record number of applications this year, many more than in previous years, and sadly due to the overwhelming demand of applicants, we are regrettably unable to offer you a place at 2014 Yorkshire Ballet Summer School".

And also that they hope she'd like to try again next year. I know everyone not accepted will

receive the same letter but because it's so kindly

worded I show it to my DD to make her feel better.

Shame this SS is more and more popular every year, it'll be just harder and harder to get in!

Good luck to DC auditioning this Sunday. The class is quite challenging for a 10 years old (double pirouettes, arabesques hold for ages etc) but probably not that much for older vocational students. Good luck!

• Like 3

• 1 month later...