YBSS 2014

Happymum

My DD would love to go to YBSS but it's a bit too expensive for us so we are thinking about applying for audition. Could someone tell me how many (ish) children auditioned last year in group 9-13 years old and how many did get a scholarship? I just wanted to find out what are

the chances as I understand that the founding

goes mainly to boys, doesn't it? My DD is only

10 but I guess there will be a lot of vocational

students as it's up to 13 in this group?

Just trying to decide if it's worth going to

auditions as it's a whole day trip to London for

us.

• Like 1

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

DS got a scholarship 2 years ago for the lower age group . He was 13 . I think the class was quite big . I've heard that boys seem to get a lot of the scholarships - but if you ring up - they will tell you more - if it's still Miss Porter - I found her very approachable

We took DD down last year and she was 10 at the time....although she enjoyed the audition class, it was heavily attended by the vocational children and I think we knew from the start that it was unlikely that she would get a scholarship....so if you think about the cost of travel and hotel (plus time) you may decide that the cost of that offset against the fees anyway is more beneficial.

Having said that - if your DD loves the experience of going to new places and auditioning...then she'll have a great time anyway irrespective of the outcome.

YBSS was fantastic for our DD last year and we would definitely do it again (but not this year as she'll be doing other things before going off to Tring in September).  In my honest opinion, if we were attending this year, I wouldn't take DD down for the audition again but I'd just put that money towards the fees.

Hope this helps a little...

• Like 1

It may be worth talking to Miss Porter regarding funding.

When DD went a couple of years ago we paid the fees for one week and were later contacted by Miss Porter to say that DD had been chosen to receive a full bursary for two weeks and she was returning our cheque. :)

• Like 1

Thank you all for the information. I suspected that it's mainly for vocational students and for boys but my DD's teacher says to go there anyway, even just for experience (as we will be auditioning for 2015 entry in autumn).

I've sent you a pm Elliepops

Just a question about timing. It says the application and £100 deposit has to be in by 1st May but scholarship audition is on 4th May. What if you can't afford to go without a scholarship? Can you just apply for the scholarship bit or do you have to apply for a full place first?

Hi Ribbons, we have the same problem (please look at the "YBSS audition" posts). I've contacted them and have been told that I should send all the forms and photographs and just write a cover letter to explain that I'm not sending a deposit as I can't afford the SS without the scholarship and am just applying for

a place at the audition. I know they can also

offer bursary or some kind of funding for those

with low income but don't know any details. You

may also just called them, the lady I spoke to

was very helpful and friendly.

How old is your DC? My DD is 10 and will be

auditioning in London. Chances are slim as most places will go to vocational students and generally boys but my DD's teacher and my DD want to try anyway.

Hope it helps.

Edited by Happymum
  • Like 1

Oh gosh, I did do a search and didn't see it. Mods - maybe this post should be combined with the other one that Happymum started?

Thanks for your reply HP. My DD is a lot older than yours (1st year 6th form) and didn't go to the scholarship audition last year because it was Bank Holiday weekend and we had plans. I see it is on Bank Hol weekender again this year - not very convenient for a lot of people I suspect.

i found it a bit unclear on the website - if you would like to audition for a scholarship place and dont get the place can you still go to the sumemrschool paying fees? do you send off just one form? sorry if this is confusing what im trying to say is if i went to the scholarship audition didnt get it but had aleady sent off a form would i still get a normal place? 

thanks xx

• 1 month later...

The auditions are this Sunday already! DD excited but knows that she probably won't get any funding because there will be lots of vocational students in her group. But still - she is looking forward to it just as an another ballet class and good experience.

Anybody else going on Sunday?

Yes, what a pain it is that the auditions in London are on bank holiday weekend! The only long weekend home from school so we decided that DS is going to audition in York in a few weeks time. First time he has applied to YBSS. Only ever heard good things. Good luck to those at the scholarship auditions this weekend. Leave some for those trying in York ;)

• Like 2

Your DS will love YBSS Belljul. I watched a boys class and it was tough but really worthwhile. They are definitely challenged. Socially they have an amazing time too. I can't manage the Leeds one unfortunately. We already have commitments for little DD and non dancer is due back from a school trip that day too!

• Like 1

Yes, what a pain it is that the auditions in London are on bank holiday weekend! The only long weekend home from school so we decided that DS is going to audition in York in a few weeks time. First time he has applied to YBSS. Only ever heard good things. Good luck to those at the scholarship auditions this weekend. Leave some for those trying in York ;)

I agree Beljul. Having auditions on the middle day of a Bank Hol week-end is really difficult for those away at school who are usually planning to come home and already have long journeys on the Saturday and Monday without a trip to London on the Sunday. It is also difficult for those who plan week-ends away to visit family on long week-ends.

I know a few people have raised this with YBSS and they seem to have responded by putting on the additional York audition, which unfortunately is not doable for us either, so we won't be auditioning this year again :(

I doubt the audition in York is to help people avoid the bank holiday - more to help those who don't live near London ;-)

I've been thinking for years that's it was an odd venue (the scholarship audition) for a Yorkshire based summer school, so I'm pleased for everyone that there's now an alternative in the North.

• Like 6

In the past they've notified people afterwards - usually very quickly, but I'm guessing they'll wait until after the second audition this time (although they could possibly give out some initially I suppose - if it were me, I'd want to see all the applicants first)

From memory...travelling from Reading and got off at St Margaret's train station but had to change at Twickenham.

Cafes & newsagents near the station.

10-15 min walk to Rambert school. Have a look on Google maps.

It would be from Waterloo to St Margaret's if travelling from London.