Royal Conservatoire of Scotland ... BA Modern Ballet

Kat09

At Urdang many moons ago [1984],some people were cut part way through the audition .The rest of us continued to the end and we were all told there and then we had been accepted. Don`t know if they still do it the same way nowadays. Plus for professional auditions it is the same. Not sure if it is for ballet companies,but when I auditioned at Pineapple for the Moulin Rouge,about halfway through some people were told thank you,but no thank you.The rest of us continued the audition,and at the end we all signed our Equity contracts sitting on the floor of the studio there and then.!

Spanner, when dd auditioned (two years ago) we were allowed to choose a day that suited us to audition (this was the norm for everyone).  Auditions took place during a normal class with the regular pupils.  We were due the Monday after they finished tour and the students had been allowed a lie in but you know they all got up and were there for 09.00 so dd didn't have to audition on her own - bless them. I don't know what happens now, I've not asked dd.

thequays it was the same when dd auditioned four years ago at Urdang.  She applied for the dance course and was cut after doing singing and jazz - never even got to the ballet class, but that was how they did things the year she auditioned.  I heard of someone else applying for the Musical Theatre course and they had ballet before lunch so it didn't work out for them either!!

• Like 2

Guest dancer2027

Hi porthesia, I was offered a place at ballet west this year, we too were allowed to choose the date for our audition, both myself and the other girl on the day were spoken to individually and both offered places. we knew beforehand that they would tell us on the day, so I was well aware someone else could have been offered a place and I not

I know everyone keeps mentioning about company auditions, I am aware that in the real world I will have to face this like everybody else

I feel bad now for what I said before it makes me sound a very bitter person, truth is I'm not just in this long process it is hard not to get a bit down sometimes; we all have to face rejections

Apologies if I made anybody feel bad, everyone has done very well for getting in to RCS and I wish you all the best

• Like 4

I am grateful that you mentioned that this can happen flutterby. I also think it would be helpful for institutions that have the admissions procedure to inform applicants that some candidates may be made a verbal offer on the day so that the process is clear.

Flutterby - I do not think you are a bitter person and it was quite clear you felt the people offered places were deserving and are pleased for them. I sort of agree with Chaperone in that the admissions procedure could be made clearer. Certainly at those I mentioned that have cuts during the day - that is made clear in advance. I also agree with the comments about expense - surely the doctors notes for instance could wait for those actually offered places.

What surprised me about your intial response Flutterby is the contrast, if I am honest , to the response you gave in the thread Questions about Upper School Auditions (post 415 on pg 14)when people were expressing dissatisfaction with the RBS auditions. It just shows how subjective this process is.

Edited by 2dancersmum

Hi porthesia, I was offered a place at ballet west this year, we too were allowed to choose the date for our audition, both myself and the other girl on the day were spoken to individually and both offered places. we knew beforehand that they would tell us on the day, so I was well aware someone else could have been offered a place and I not

I know everyone keeps mentioning about company auditions, I am aware that in the real world I will have to face this like everybody else

I feel bad now for what I said before it makes me sound a very bitter person, truth is I'm not just in this long process it is hard not to get a bit down sometimes; we all have to face rejections

Apologies if I made anybody feel bad, everyone has done very well for getting in to RCS and I wish you all the best

I didn't post because you sounded "bitter", flutterby. :-) I merely wanted to remind everyone that this is a public forum and that therefore, the person you were talking about could be reading the forum.

In an ideal world, it would be helpful were schools to publish what they are looking for and how they might go about cutting people or offering places. However, I can't see that happening and unless company auditions change drastically, it wouldn't help in the long term!

Ballet is a difficult, crazy, hugely subjective world. I think all you can do is compete only with yourself, and try not to get too hung up on what happens to other people. :-)

• Like 1

Guest dancer2027

Hi 2dancersmum and spannerandpony thank you for being understanding :) I think with the comment on rbs auditions you are right in how I just wanted to enjoy the audition at royal. If I'm being honest I knew I would never stand a chance at royal so I went in with that mentality to enjoy it, I also live in london so it was an easy and inexpensive trip in. If I lived as far away as Scotland was I would not have bothered because I know I don't have the physique.

Also, by the RCS audition I was feeling a lot more worried about my future with only a few auditions left and no offers at this point, luckily I now have three, but at the time all I can say was that it added salt to the wound. Looking back I can see why RCS did what they did, they want to get the best girls and wanted to save her the hassle of coming back for the second round. That is fair enough, but I hope you can see that there was a difference in the way I looked at these 2 auditions.

Understandably, girls travelling far to the royal audition would have been very upset that they felt they were ignored, so I can see how what I said at the time was contradictory and with hindsight I was not considering the great lengths other people had gone to for that audition. All I can say was I suppose at the time I was just thinking, royal will do as they wish, they have never wanted me since I was 9 so just enjoy it, I therefore had no hope as such. Don't get me wrong I was dissapointed I didn't get in, but with an unknown school such as RCS I had built up a lot of hope and felt I had as good a chance as any.

I agree with chaperone, the school should make it clear that it could happen in their paperwork beforehand. With company auditions I have prepared myself for a lot worse! Haha

I hope I haven't offended/said the wrong thing on this forum, I express my views at the time and accept it could be seen as hypocritical

F x

• Like 8

• 7 months later...

I suppose it does seem disappointing travelling all the way from London to Scotland and feeling that you,ve been overlooked in the audition, however people travel from Scotland or North of England all the time to London and face the same situation , you have to learn to deal with rejection and move on.

Edited by lilacfairy

I would like to know how many boys there are on the ballet programme and In each year group. It is a school I have been interested in since seeing a student in the Genee finals in Glasgow. And would be grateful for any insights about boys training, separate classes for boys and pas de deux. Many thanks in advance.

Boys training:  Given you are talking very small year numbers (I think it averages somewhere between 10-12), I would estimate a 60-40 split girls to boys.

Some classes are joint, some separate boys classes - they have male teachers for most, if not all, of these.  Pas de Deux is, I think 3 ish times per week, but I would need to check.

Last year at the final evening, over half of the group, from memory, had contracts.  That year was particularly strong on modern, the previous year had favoured ballet.  No rhyme nor reason, just the way it goes.  

Glasgow is a great student city, the first years tend to live in halls of residence in the centre - most seem to be in rented accommodation after that but they can stay in halls for all 3 years.  It's about 20 minutes walk from the halls to the studios which are really rather gorgeous.

first years don't generally have Saturday classes, years 2-3 do.  class time is generally 8.30ish to 5ish plus warm up.  I think ...

This is still a very new course and its hard to generalise.

Meadowblythe

• Like 1

Hi everyone, I went to the open day at the start of November and was able to sit in on the classes. This last year only 7 pupils were accepted that I saw 4 of which were girls and 3 boys. In the second years there was only two boys and maybe around 10 girls. Not sure if all the pupils were there that day though! The open days the gave us were: Glasgow - 13/12/14, 17/1/15, 4/2/15 and London - 31/1/15, 21/2/15.