Royal Conservatoire of Scotland ... BA Modern Ballet

Kat09

Good morning all. I and my DD had the pleasure of travelling to Glasgow this week as she was auditioning at RCS. The facilities at Spiers Lock are superb and all the staff we met were most welcoming. I'm wondering does anyone else here have DC auditioning here this year or DC in situ - particularly girls. I would love to get some in site into the programme from those that might already be underway in their studies or have graduated.

Many thanks. Kat

• Like 1

A girl that my daughter danced with for a couple of years is currently in her second year on this course. She has really enjoyed it and i believe found teaching excellent and very supportive. My dd considered applying this year but she really wants to be in London area. I think that she should have applied but its too late now i think.

Hi,

Our personal opinion is that the RCS has fantastic facilities and appears to be one of the best courses on offer if your DC is mostly ballet orientated. It is also funded by student finance. :)

However, if you get a conditional offer and it is dependent on 5 GCSE's A-C, you would have to accept a place somewhere else (with no conditions) just in case something goes wrong and your DC's grades slip.

It's ok if your DC is highly academic or has had the chance to take some GCSE's early (they don't do that at my dd's school) but not all are in this position.

Does anyone else have an opinion on this? Would welcome your views.

• Like 1

Hi Spanner - I was at RCS last week and definitely got the impression that most pupils go straight from school at 16 - it is a degree program but entry requirements are 5 GCSEs A - C . The staff are lovely do give them a call about later entry.

• Like 1

There are older students there, mainly from overseas.  Certainly when DS auditioned I got the impression that 16 is considered a good age to start.  In fact although he has an August birthday he is not the youngest on the course as the scottish age/term dates are different.

Obviously most of the RCS students are older as the musicians tend to be 18+, as do the costume/props/actors/stage manager students.  Not sure about musical theatre - has anyone auditioned for this at all?  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Guest dancer2027

Hi I auditioned for RCS, the building was lovely, unfortunatley I was not offered a place but I had already really made up my mind I didn't want to go there once they had offered on the day to a royal ballet school student.

She was a fantastic dancer and deserves it wholly, however, making the trip to Glasgow was costly and time consuming and I felt overlooked in the audition and that offerring to someone else a place on the day without even a second audition infront of everybody else was unprofessional.

I was not the only one who felt disheartened coming out after the audition, one mother was quite upset by what had happened and it really made for a bad audition overall.

Of course as soon as I saw they were taking royal girls I knew I didn't stand a chance, but I think the school could have behaved a bit more respectfully to other auditionees, all who have made sacrifices to go.

Luckily I have offers from other schools much nearer to home which I love, but just a word of warning if anyone else auditions! I suppose this business is unfair so what can you expect really?

• Like 1

Hi, I took my daughter up for the open day, the main building in the centre is amazing but the ballet studios as nice as they are where a 15 mins bus drive away from the main school and the opposite direction to the accommodation (we did walk going which was about 20 mins walk from the main school). My dd just got the feeling the ballet was an add on!!! I understand it's newish and that feeling will probably change over the years but we felt it wasn't the place for our dd (who also agreed). We do know of 3 graduates who enjoyed there time there but haven't secured jobs and have either finished dancing altogether or taking adult classes. xx

Oh dear!  Sorry this has upset you flutterby.  My dd who is NON-vocational was also offered a place after the prelim. audition.

They were extremely discreet about it and called her back into when everyone the studio was leaving. We have also been very discreet about it as she felt awkward and didn't want to upset other girls auditioning. 

They said their reason for this was that the final auditions for RCS were late March and they didn't want to lose talented dancers to other vocational schools. I can understand this as RCS is very 'new' and cannot rely on 'reputation' to attract talented dancers as the established vocational schools can.

Just wondering whether they offered in front of everyone or if you found out another way?

I know another non-vocational applicant who was also offered in this way, so it wasn't just the RBS student that was offered on the day. However, I do agree with you that it's not a level playing field and my dd felt that she didn't stand a chance in some of the final auditions when applicants from vocational schools who have had 5 years training turned up en masse!!   Her confidence in these auditions was very low!

Good luck to your dd at the school she has chosen.

Can I add to my previous post that the Speirs Lock studio's are approx. 10 mins WALK from the Royal conservatoire campus. (We walked it)

The accommodation was approx. 20 -25 mins walk to Speirs lock studios through the shopping area of Glasgow centre. But no tube trains or buses to contend with!  :) 

• Like 1

Please don't feel dance is an add on - would they really have built those studios if it was?  

Students have to work in multidisciplinary teams as part of their course, and it is the mix with other creative types which my son loves so much.  His group, for example, consists of trad,classical and jazz musicians, a prop maker, an actor and a musical theatre student.  He lives with students of all ages and backgrounds from all over the world, studying a huge range of creative disciplines.

I don't think that RCS would claim 100% employment - and no I don't have facts and figures - but I do know my son feels his training is really equipping him to compete for employment at the end of the course, and that it is a good place to be.

And surely there are no more vocational students there than at ENB, Central, Elmhurst .... 

Meadowblythe

• Like 4

Oh dear!  Sorry this has upset you flutterby.  My dd who is NON-vocational was also offered a place after the prelim. audition.

They were extremely discreet about it and called her back into when everyone the studio was leaving. We have also been very discreet about it as she felt awkward and didn't want to upset other girls auditioning. 

Well done to your dd Beth4ballet. 

• Like 1

Guest dancer2027

Hi beth4ballet, as I was coming out the class we saw the girl and her parents being asked to go into the studio, everyone was whispering about how she was offered the place etc

Congratulations to your daughter everyone deserves their offers and I don't mean to offend anyone or seem bitter but it is just a bit disheartening you know? You come all the way to Scotland from London, dance your heart out and then it is made clear they don't really want you.

I think this seems like quite common behaviour from RCS I think it is fine, for my rambert audition I was called back and others weren't, but maybe the school should have alerted all candidate beforehand that this was a possibility

Either way well done to your dd is she taking it?

Hi all, when we visited RCS we were made to feel really welcome by both the faculty and the current students. I find reading through the curriculum the programme is varied but with a strong emphasis on classical ballet. We have been encouraged to contact the programme co-ordinator with any questions we might have about the degree programme and indeed any aspect of enrolling and studying at the Conservatoire. Whilst my daughter has chosen not to enrol I would have been very happy if this had been her choice for training . I think wherever you chose to train, unfortunately there is the possibility that it will be hard to secure a contract on graduation.

Sorry to hear that you did not have the same experience as us flutterby, it is disappointing especially when you travelled such a long way to attend.

• Like 3

I understand how you feel, Flutterby, my dd has had a couple of no's also. And it does feel very disheartening when you have travelled a long way.

I also found that the amount of forms to fill in (and costly doctors certificates) that some schools require for finals is ridiculous. Most of that can wait until they offer a place.

Very much agree with Kat09 that it will be difficult to secure a contract on graduation for most graduates.

Glad that your dd has some offers, flutterby, as this year group is outstanding for ballet. Well done to all those with a place!

• Like 1

Hi all, when we visited RCS we were made to feel really welcome by both the faculty and the current students. I find reading through the curriculum the programme is varied but with a strong emphasis on classical ballet. We have been encouraged to contact the programme co-ordinator with any questions we might have about the degree programme and indeed any aspect of enrolling and studying at the Conservatoire. Whilst my daughter has chosen not to enrol I would have been very happy if this had been her choice for training . I think wherever you chose to train, unfortunately there is the possibility that it will be hard to secure a contract on graduation.

Sorry to hear that you did not have the same experience as us flutterby, it is disappointing especially when you travelled such a long way to attend.

I think this is spot on. The ballet world is well known for being subjective and hugely competitive. I would say that by the time students are auditioning for 6th Form/Upper School they surely must know that you simply must try NOT to get psyched out by other auditionees.

For those students who get a place and complete their training, heading off to Company auditions is even more stressful, expensive, subject to the AD's personal taste, and I've heard of people travelling thousands of miles to audition abroad and being cut after 10 minutes!

Even in a company there are stressful castings and it may appear that some dancers are favoured and some neglected.

So I would urge any students auditioning for 6th forms to not waste their chance by letting themselves get psyched out. It's not easy but it's something they are all going to have to get used to.

Also, as annoying as it might be for others at the time, if a student gets offered a place on the day, how lovely for them - it's certainly not their fault! It sounds as if RCS has taken people aside or called them back in, and that is their prerogative. If those students or their parents are reading (after all, it is a public forum) then it can't be very nice to hear people complaining about them.

Congratulations to ALL who have had a place offered, good luck to those waiting, and commiserations to those with a "no".

• Like 11

Guest dancer2027

Hi spanner, I made it clear that everyone who was offered a place on the day wholly deserved their place, I wouldn't want anyone to feel I was complaining about them getting in because everyone works so hard

What I was saying was that the school could have been a little more discreet on the day, this may have been different for other peoples experiences however, but I hadn't even left the building and I knew I didn't get in

Beth4ballet I totally agree we had so many things to fill in, photos, doctors certificate, exam certificate, references, school references. It is all very costly!

Different schools do things in different ways and looking at it from the point of view of the candidates offered a place on the day, how wonderful not to have the agony of waiting to find out or a second trip up there for a final audition to see if you have a place. I believe Ballet West also tell successful students on the day don't they, and Hammond, Performers College, Arts Ed, Mountview (to name a few) actually have a cut part way through the day for those with a definite 'no'. It may be disappointing to leave knowing you have not got in somewhere or perhaps even just thinking you had not got in but that is the reality of so many auditioning for so few places and its nothing from what I hear of auditioning for companies at the end of the 3 years training.

• Like 2