National Youth Ballet auditions 2014

Danceroo

Dd auditioned last Sunday in the first JA group and has made it to the final audition. She is absolutely over the moon. However I was hoping for some advice from those of you who have done this before. Any ideas on what the format is for the next stage? It mentions character dancing which is not included in our syllabus although dd has done some during easter and summer schools. Any information would be gratefully received. Also commiserations to those who weren't recalled this time.Dd auditioned unsuccessfully last year so knows how it feels! Definitely worth trying again. Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for your reply my post was getting lonely out there!! Seriously I was hoping the next stage might include something more geared towards jazz or contemporary as that is dd's passion. Looking at the info for 2014 it does appear they are looking for dancers with a wide range of talents. Anyway she's over the moon to get too another audition and will enjoy ever minute.

Firstly congratulations to your DD.  The day is very long so make sure you pack a lot of food, drink and snacks as the children could be sitting around for a long time. The children will be called by number (so please remember her number) when they are needed for each work staged, so if they fit the height required for one particular piece they will audition for that part and so on.  So, they could audition for a ballet piece or a Jazz part or both, there is no way of telling what age, grade or height they are looking for.  If you need further information, please feel free to ask.

My DD was a little older when she was at finals for this but it was as described by Dancingforjoy.  A lot of sitting around and called in by number for anything they want them to try for.  DDs friend was once called in only for them all to stand in height order and only the middle 10 girls stayed in for that part of the audition.  The first time my DD went she was there until the very end of the day and went into the audition room about 7 times.  The next year she was only there a couple of hours, went in 3 times.  There is no way of telling what they are looking for  But good luck.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for your replies. The audition was today and yes it did seem like a long morning with the clocks changing! DD did her best and was called in several times which was great as otherwise there would have been an awful lot of hanging around. Just need to wait for the results now.

I hope your dd enjoyed today Danceroo! It sounds promising if she was called in several times so fingers crossed for you! My dd was there too....I notice the letter said results would be end of April.....I hope not as waiting for results is always the worse part!! Last year they were out within the week!! I'm wondering whether any of those who auditioned last week for main cast have heard anything yet? (Dd was only called for JA final this year whereas last year she was called for both main cast and JA's so we're feeling a little anxious!) 

Well done to your dd Danceroo! Same here, but as it's for JA ballet not main cast I have to wait until after Easter to see whether she will have a residential place. She won't be able to accept it if she doesn't as it will be too much of a commute for us daily! Debating whether to tell her the good news or wait until I know whether she has a residential place at summer school first. I don't want her to be excited and then potentially disappointed in a few weeks time! 

That's reassuring to hear Tinydancer, thank you! It was dd's first time last year and I think she was automatically residential being main cast? So this is a slightly new experience this time round as a JA! Keeping my fingers crossed there is space as she loved it last summer!

Ah congrats- this is great news! My DD has been offered a place in the main company having been asked to come to both recalls ( she is JA age). She was so poorly on Sunday and didn't end up going in to audition room so I am so glad she had got to dance on the 23rd! She had a recall last year for JA and didn't get a place so really pleased for her this year and she's really looking forward to it.

Clara- I hope your DD gets a residential place-if she was there last year I'm sure there is a good chance if a place is available. Fingers crossed here too :-)

• Like 2

• 5 weeks later...

Congrats to your DD balletDad1064. We got our contract at the start of the week but I did have a few questions. Would you mind answering if you can please? My DD is a JA and they have listed one ballet she will take part in. Is that what normally happens to JA's? or are they offered any additional dances when the course starts.

She has also been offered a residential place but I was under the impression that it is predominantly main cast who stay rather than JA's! Any feedback on what they do in the evenings at Tring? I am sure they will be exhausted but if it is main cast does that mean she would be staying with children she hasn't really met during the day and could potentially feel a bit left out. She has been to the Tring Easter course boarding twice but I get the feeling it will be quite a different experience. If anyone could shed any light I would be grateful.

Thanks

Hi Danceroo, although my DD got offered a main cast part she is only JA age so I wouldn't worry about your DD feeling left out. We sent our contract back on Tuesday and DD is very excited.  DD is also cover for the JA Ballet so she'll be learning that one too and I think there are normally a few JA age children who do the full residential experience. 

I think for a lot of people it's distance that plays the deciding factor - 10 days is a long time to have to travel back and forth - or to do B&B / hotel for...so I guess it depends on where you are location wise too?

I would have thought that NYB will have it pretty well practised in terms of evening activities and placing children with similar ages together, etc. What does your DD think? 

Well done to your dd Danceroo! Same here, but as it's for JA ballet not main cast I have to wait until after Easter to see whether she will have a residential place. She won't be able to accept it if she doesn't as it will be too much of a commute for us daily! Debating whether to tell her the good news or wait until I know whether she has a residential place at summer school first. I don't want her to be excited and then potentially disappointed in a few weeks time! 

Clara, did your DD get residential offer too ?  That would make another JA age DD staying... and Balletmum's DD is Main Cast but JA age...so that's 4 of us already :)

• Like 1

My daughter is also JA age in main cast covering JA ballet so another one into the mix!

Danceroo-as we worked out our girls already know each other that would be lovely if she does reside-there could be a chance they share a room?

My DD is very much looking forward to her first experience with NYB -will be very quiet at home without her!

• Like 1

My DD first did NYB when she was 12 and there were other residential students her age. I think you could make a request for your girls to be in the same room. Everyone's very friendly and helpful. This is NYB's 27th year I think, so they have lots of experience. 

• 2 weeks later...

NYB have started sending out contracts for their exciting new season. DD is thrilled to be involved again this year. There are seven ballets listed and one more in the pipeline. Lots of new work. Can't wait.

I'm confused - I thought you lived in Japan!  Not that that stops you from coming over the the UK of course!! :D

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

My dd has gained a place with JA 'Waking Mozart' it's also her first time with NYB and can't wait to start training. Has anyone had confirmation of receipt of their contract and fees, or heard anymore on the uniform etc we have to buy?

Hi lollipop,

Congrats to your DD, my DD is also doing NYB for the first time and is doing the same ballet. You should have received an email

about ordering uniform on the 19th May. All orders need to be processed by the 6th June at the latest. Please pm me if you would like me to forward the details. We have also decided that DD will not be residential as we are only 40 mins away and although a pain for my other children having to travel daily it is doable. She is really looking forward to it.

• Like 1

Thanks Danceroo, I did send them a couple of emails but have had nothing back, I've called today and they said they will ring me back, I paid on online banking so I'm panicking, hope forms weren't lost as well! My dd isn't residential either we're in Essex so it's a trek each day but she's really looking forward to it!

Thanks Balletdad, yes luckily I called them and they had mis typed my email address do I didn't get the uniform email ! They re-emailed the details so all sorted now. Would be handy if any more emails come out if people could post just incase they use the wrong address again lol! I don't want to miss anything ☺️

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

We have just recieved the information pack for NYB summer school and I can't find the start and end time for JA's on a daily basis! am trying to co ordinate other childrens activities into the mix. Have they missed that information out or can any one help me?

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know if child performance licences have been applied for if your child is performing with NYB this season? My DD is as JA and in one dance. I just need to know as she's also on local panto this year and the license application asks if another licence has been granted in the 12 months prior to the panto performances with nah other council?!? I've filled out so many forms I can't remember if one was for a license !

Individual licences have not been needed for NYB in the past. I think they are normally covered with a 'Body of Persons' licence. It is a while ago now but my dds did panto and NYB and  if I remember correctly for the panto licence we had to list any performances in the pervious 12 months whether licenced or not and just give the name of the person responsible. A child can only be licenced by the council for the area in which they reside regardless of where the performance takes place and there is always a part of the form for the parent to complete so no individual application could be submitted without your knowledge. A quick call to your licencing dept should be able to sort out exactly what info they require rather than guesssing and perhaps having the licence delayed. I have always found them most helpful as it is less work for them as well if you supply the correct information first time.

• 1 month later...

Did anyone else attend the Choreographic Competition last night?  Although we thoroughly enjoyed it, I was a little surprised to see that there was a far greater number of juniors entered and only half the number in the inter section and even less in the senior group (literally only 6 entries in seniors).  Is this the norm?  I was expecting to see far more seniors wanting to show their own work.

My DD entered in the Junior section and I had been a little worried that she would be "outclassed" but she danced beautifully and even though she didn't win, she held her own with some lovely Junior dancers :)

• Like 1

Hi dtadmin

Yes we thoroughly enjoyed last night my dd danced also in the junior section can came runner up, was a very proud mummy, there was a lot in that section, this is our 3rd season with NYB and I have to agree with you it's such a shame not more of the older ones entered, we have always loved watching the older ones whilst some topics have been on the dark side but they are so inspirational to the younger ones :)

• Like 2