The Royal Ballet - Sleeping Beauty, Spring 2014

It wasn't "last minute" - there was a change slip for Woodland Glade in the house and other fairies were as cast.

Well....by "last minute" I meant: the change of dancer cast to dance WGFairy during cinema relay occurred that day.

• Replies 376
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure if I am right to discuss individual performances here or in the Sleeping a Beauty thread, but I wondered what people thought of Sarah Lamb's Aurora? I found her Act 2 although very accomplished, less joyful and free spirited than I would have hoped - perhaps it was carrying the weight of a live screen performance. I preferred her interpretation in the later Acts.

Last night was the first time I've seen Sleeping Beauty in full, although I've seen snippets before.  I have to say I didn't actually go in with very high expectations, and I absolutely loved it.  It was whimsical and magical, and probably one of my favourites out of the ballets I've seen.

I felt the corps looked a little ragged in places, and I wasn't too sold on Laura McCulloch as lilac fairy.  

Steven McCrae was wonderful in the 3rd act solos - he managed to blend in (so to speak) throughout the rest of the ballet, so it was as if he'd suddenly unleashed his technique!  I thought the fact he blended with the rest of the cast for most of the ballet was a good response to the criticism a few weeks ago that he stole the show with his powerful performance in the mixed bill (Ashton piece in the first section - I forget the name).

I think this is the first time I've seen Sarah Lamb live.  She struck me as very pretty and delicate on first appearance - in the pink tutu with the blond hair, very suitable for fairytale ballets.  I felt her performance was ok, but didn't wow me.  I was right up in the amphi, so may have missed any more subtle acting, which could possibly have sold me a bit more.  I didn't get a sense of the stage presence and personality which really grab my attention with some principal dancers.

Overall though, I really enjoyed the whole performance, which was very well received by the audience.

• Like 1

Just got back from seeing it. Very enjoyable, and some applause from the cinema audience to go along with the applause from the live audience. My least favourite part of it was Darcey Bussell, who sounded as though she was reading from a script, and Kevin O'Hare's taste in ties.

• Like 1

Just got back from seeing it. Very enjoyable, and some applause from the cinema audience to go along with the applause from the live audience. My least favourite part of it was Darcey Bussell, who sounded as though she was reading from a script, and Kevin O'Hare's taste in ties.

I'm sure the ROH can do better than Darcey Bussell. She said something a little strange about being very "taken in" by something to do with the sets or the costumes or something. I assume she meant she was very "taken with" whatever it was but it really set my teeth on edge.

• Like 1

I'm sure the ROH can do better than Darcey Bussell. She said something a little strange about being very "taken in" by something to do with the sets or the costumes or something. I assume she meant she was very "taken with" whatever it was but it really set my teeth on edge.

I really wish they'd go back to using Deborah Bull for these things; she is such an intelligent, and natural, presenter. 

• Like 2

I am afraid to say but Ms Bussell's "style" of presenting the cinema relay doesn't do the RB image much justice. Her presentation comes over as very amateurish. I'd rather have Jonathan Cope or Deborah Bull too.

• Like 3

Agree.

Jonathan Cope is a very articulate, charming, knowledgeable person. In fact why not Cope AND Bull-they would be marvellous.

I don't want to be mean about Bussell,though- she had clearly been ordered to be "light" and keep things superficial; she did give the impresion of knowing nothing at all about the ballet but this we know is far from the case. I am sure, that is, that it is not just her fault, but reflects a mistaken view from above that the presenter needs to talk down to the audience.

Of course that is nonsense- they want to know about it and learn something, and just because people might not be ballet experts does not mean they are fools.

Contrast the Bolshoi presentation.

• Like 2

I seem to remember Johnny Cope presenting something as well and very good he was too

Johnny Cope was very good, a natural in front of the camera. 

Darcey was a lovely dancer, a good looking woman, and well known to the public, so the chances of getting anyone else are nil, I should think.  A pity, because I agree that she is not as good as some of the other people we have seen on the recent series of ballet programmes. 

• Like 2

Fairy of the Crystal Fountain              Yuhui Choe

Fairy of the Enchanted Garden          Beatriz Stix-Brunell

Fairy of the Woodland Glade             Hikaru Kobayashi

Fairy of the Song Bird                        Francesca Hayward

Fairy of the Golden Vine                    Elizabeth Harrod

Floristan and his sisters                     James Hay, Elizabeth Harrod, Beatriz Stix-Brunell

Puss-in-Boots and the White Cat       Paul Kay, Elsa Goddard

Princess Florine and the Bluebird      Yuhui Choe, Valentino Zucchetti

Red Riding Hood and the Wolf           Leanne Cope Eric Underwood

Edited to add that the principal roles are above in post #93

And the whole cast list is now up at http://www.roh.org.uk/events/9jv8w

Think I'd seen most of them anyway, so I obviously didn't miss much by not going.

Some interesting comments in the feedback thread, too, including one technical one about why the movement may have blurred occasionally: http://www.roh.org.uk/news/your-reaction-the-sleeping-beauty-in-cinemas

And here are links to the interval films, too: http://www.roh.org.uk/news/watch-members-of-the-cast-and-creative-team-on-the-sleeping-beauty

• Like 1

Not Darcey Bussell, or even Deborah Bull. I would like to see Lynn Seymour presenting ballet programmes on the television. Now there's somebody interesting!

I'm with you on this, James.  Makarova would also make a very witty host.  Both of those ladies are erudite while being down to earth.  If only the Royal Ballet could clone Tamara Rojo in this regard.  (That would be another neat trick.)  Oh, and while we are about it --- if you wanted to keep it on native turf ... what about a certain Ms. M. Porter????

Edited by Meunier
  • Like 2

I went to see the show last night and was really surprised, during first act there were only 6 Lilac Fairy attendants instead of 8 and the Lilac Fairy had to do Aurora friends and then change back to Lilac for the end of the act, they had 12 Nymphs instead of 16 and by the end of Act III only 4 Lilac fairy attendants instead of 8 were on. The stage looked really empty!

I went to see the show last night and was really surprised, during first act there were only 6 Lilac Fairy attendants instead of 8 and the Lilac Fairy had to do Aurora friends and then change back to Lilac for the end of the act, they had 12 Nymphs instead of 16 and by the end of Act III only 4 Lilac fairy attendants instead of 8 were on. The stage looked really empty!

there are lots of injuries at the moment, keeping many of the dancers off the stage. So many, its hard to list them all, bless 'em. Wish every last one of them speedy, and full recovery. Must be putting an enormous strain on the ones still fit! So take care ladies!

• Like 3

there are lots of injuries at the moment, keeping many of the dancers off the stage. So many, its hard to list them all, bless 'em. Wish every last one of them speedy, and full recovery. Must be putting an enormous strain on the ones still fit! So take care ladies!

It must be really though on those dancers who are still able to dance: taking over roles (from injured dancers) they haven't rehearsed, dropping the solo roles they were cast in, and taking on extra roles in a show. I feel sorry for the injured dancers but also for those dancers whose workload doubles or triples! 

• Like 1

And its the same for the 12 valiant Btuk dancers. (Referrimg back to last post bar 1!)

Their ballet mistress also donned her shoes for a recent performance!

They are touring The Little Mermaid at the moment (four shows just this weekend!) and the rest of the tour is pretty extensive but every dancer has to do every show. They really know the meaning of hard work. Good job the company looks after its dancers well!

Edited by hfbrew
  • Like 2

It has been 6 and 4 (lilac attendants) for the whole run so far.

I must start this posting by confessing that I did not see any of the broadcast or interviews but from what I have seen her do I share the reservations about Darcey's presenting skills. I also feel that she is going to be ubiquitous as far as the BBC is concerned.

In the very early days of satellite tv the Now channel of BSB presented some European ballet and I can remember both Lynn Seymour and Margaret Barbieri introducing programmes. I think I still have them on old videos somewhere. They both did excellent jobs and I agree that this is an untapped resource.

Finally, I interviewed Kevin O'Hare a number if times for the Friends of BRB. He really was the easiest person in the world to chat to so I am surprised to hear he came over less than

Edited by Two Pigeons

I think the issue was more the questions he was required to respond to. Darcey Is not a natural interviewer or presenter. However, if she is enabling a wider audience to experience dance beyond "Strictly" then she is currently arguably the right person to front these programmes.