Elmhurst auditions?

Frangapani

Also, I have learned the hard way that invites to the final are nothing to do with the availability of beds as the schools obviously want to keep their options open. if they see someone that they really like in the first audition they will want to see them again and It is only after the final audition that the schools start to juggle who they can and can't take.

I have to say that the school principal at Elmhurst did mention that they can take more than they usually do take because they only pick the ones they really want - this surely means that there are always beds available and that its not necessarily that they do not have the funding for all the ones they want. I suspect this may only be for Year 7 and that beds are a bit of a problem as they go up through the years but I am sure that if they saw a dancer that they desperately wanted, they would find the space some how. I am sorry if that sounds negative but whilst we are on a dose of reality.......

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, I agree with Jellybeans - if they see someone who they feel has exceptional potential they will make room. However if a child auditions at 11 and doesn't get a place, it may just be an indication that they aren't ready 'yet', they may become 'right' for vocational training at a later date. And it may be that a number of promising young dancers audition for places further up these schools and don't get offered a place because the year group is full. I would be cautious about delivering a dose of 'reality' to an enthusiastic young dancer - if dance is part of who your child is then no audition or assessment result can or should change this. I think we shoud encourage them to carry on enjoying and developing what they do, afterall who knows what context they might end up using their dance experience in?

Sorry - have waffled - as you can tell I don't live in the real world ;)

• Like 1

Very true lisadebs. I know my DD wasn't ready when auditioning at 10 for a year 7 place, but the way she's going she may well get a place at 16. But if she doesn't, I don't feel that all the years of dance have been wasted. She loves her classes and all the holiday courses she's done, she loves EYB, she has great posture, has learned discipline - even as "just a hobby" it will have been wonderful. Not being ready to get a place at Yr 7 doesn't mean the end of the road!

• Like 4

My daughter's the same - turned out not to be built to be a classical dancer despite looking just right as a JA, but has had a wonderful few years at local dance school - doing NYB, festival groups and solos, the odd competition, is confident, hard-working, has great posture, is really strong, fit and flexible and occasionally shares her talents by teaching her explorer scout group to dance :blink: . She possibly could now look at trying for a dance college but wants to be a vet - let's hope they have a good dance class near her uni in the future!

• Like 5

Yes, I agree with Jellybeans - if they see someone who they feel has exceptional potential they will make room. However if a child auditions at 11 and doesn't get a place, it may just be an indication that they aren't ready 'yet', they may become 'right' for vocational training at a later date. And it may be that a number of promising young dancers audition for places further up these schools and don't get offered a place because the year group is full. I would be cautious about delivering a dose of 'reality' to an enthusiastic young dancer - if dance is part of who your child is then no audition or assessment result can or should change this. I think we shoud encourage them to carry on enjoying and developing what they do, afterall who knows what context they might end up using their dance experience in?

Sorry - have waffled - as you can tell I don't live in the real world ;)

I did not mean that a child should be encouraged to stop dance if that is their passion but do think that expectations sometimes need to be managed. I agree that it is not good to protect children from rejection or the real world but neither is it good to constantly tell a child that has had many rejections that their time will come etc. Unfortunately, there are those children whose time just won't come and ultimately I think it is better to accept this sooner rather than later.

• Like 3

Hi - my DD auditioned before Xmas for a Year 8 place as she didn't audition last year and thankfully it was a yes for her too.

Just did the NYB audition at Elmhurst today and one of the panelists from the Elmhurst audition was adjudicating so that was a good opportunity to be seen again.

Looking forward to the final on 06.03.12

See you all there. :)

• Like 1

Lovely to hear of the few positive replies to Elmhurst finals. I have been following this thread with interest but only just managed to sort my registration out to reply! Sorry about the "no" letters. I hope another door opens for your dancing girls.

Any boys out there through to the finals? My son will be there on the 8th (I think its the 8th!) and be nice to know of any others. xx

• Like 1

Hi - my DD auditioned before Xmas for a Year 8 place as she didn't audition last year and thankfully it was a yes for her too.

Just did the NYB audition at Elmhurst today and one of the panelists from the Elmhurst audition was adjudicating so that was a good opportunity to be seen again.

Looking forward to the final on 06.03.12

See you all there. :)

Hi Sniffymum

my DD was there today for her first try at NYB. Do you know who it was from the panel who was adjudicating? My dd didn't mention anyone she recognised on the panel (but getting info from her is like pulling teeth!)We were in the 1st group and she thoroughly enjoyed it (and came out looking like she'd had a real workout too!) Good luck to your dd for both Elmhurst finals and NYB xx

Hi Angela - yes it was Miss Saidi and the class was taken by the RBS mid associates teacher from Birmingham.

NYB results were out really quickly last year - within a couple of days but my dd did do the last audition last year in London so not sure if they wait till all the auditions are done and then send out the replies.

Will just have to keep an eye out for the postie.

my child got a no last week and still upset as she feels she is rubbish , i know children who got 2nd round and arent as good as my child hao does that work

Sadly we aren't the ones on the selection panel! Probably just as well. :-)

It could be that her physique isn't quite right at the moment, it could be literally anything. Also different schools look for different things, but as they are the ones doing the picking we have to trust that they know what they are looking for. It doesn't always seem right or fair but it's one of those things.

I think we just have to remember that a "no" now isn't necessarily a "never". But it might be that our children will never be right for certain schools, and it's no bad thing to be able to accept that and look elsewhere. For instance my quiet, introverted, technical daughter is not suited to a "performing" school, but that's fine. She will no doubt find her niche somewhere IF her physical capacity, feet, turnout etc. are suited to classical ballet.

So many IFs and BUTs in the ballet world...all you can do is keep trying. :-)

How old is your DD, Balletmad?

• Like 2

Ballet mad - I'm slightly concerned at you saying that some who got through to finals "aren't as good as my child" . This really won't help your daughter if she hears/feels this is how you feel. She is bound to then feel "rubbish" herself if she knows you think that some of those he did get through weren't as good as her. Forgive me if I've got the wrong end of the stick and your daughter doesn't know this is how you feel.

Spanner makes some interesting a useful points - there are lots of reasons why one child gets through and another doesn't at any one time. Your child might be the most advanced technically in the room and still not get to finals if there's something about her physique that's not quite what they're looking for, for example. I've also seen wonderfully gifted children with great technique and physiques who have terrible musicality/timing.

All you can do is do your best to cheer her up, move on to doing/looking forward to other exciting things and try again next year.

• Like 8

One of the most frustrating things I have found, being a parent of a DD, is how out of control we are at every important stage. When they are younger we can tie their shoes, tidy up their hair before they go into an exam or audition, although when they get a little older that soon stops and all we are is a taxi service and financial backing to their hobby.

It is difficult when decisions are made which are out of our hands and very difficult to understand at times especially when there is no feedback given but all we can do is offer support, encouragement and pick up the pieces - in two months time they will ask to do it all over again next year!!!

Often in festivals the results don't go the way parents expect or an adjudicator will say "on another day the top three would have been in a different order but this is my choice". Its impossible to find a reason as to 'why' sometimes.

You never no what opportunities may be around the corner, it isnt worth spending too much time about what has passed.

It never stops being a 'difficult time' in the dance world, they are either auditioning, taking exams, being appraised and trying to hang on the vocational places they have, dealing with pressure from teachers and peers etc - its what makes them all such strong and determined dancers.

Good luck to everyone going through their 'difficult times' :rolleyes:

• Like 7

Well my daughter has had "no"s for a boarding place every year (although got WL finals for year 7) but believe me, she does NOT feel she is rubbish! She just keeps trying as she feels that one day her time will come. There are numerous reasons why a child does not make finals - nothing to do with their ability - there are 100s of children who go through this audition process every year (all more than capable or their teachers would not have signed the application forms for them!).

Even the most successful ballet dancers will have had their share of knock backs/injuries etc etc but it just prepares them for the real, tough world of ballet.

Your DD must NEVER be allowed to think she is rubbish as to be allowed to audition in the first place, and to have the GUTS to do it, means that she is NOT!!!!

We are currently awaiting the latest inevitable rejection from RBS but I know that my DD will pick herself up as always and I will be right there to support and reassure her.

F x

• Like 5

my child got a no last week and still upset as she feels she is rubbish , i know children who got 2nd round and arent as good as my child hao does that work

Is this the first time your DD has auditioned and been unsuccessful? It's probably hardest the first time. How old is she? I'm sure she will have loads of chances to try again. The other children you mention - are they friends of hers? In which case that might be hard for her. However, this sort of experience has made my own DD both realistic and determined. I do hope your DD is able to take the positives out of the experience of auditioning, once she has got over the disappointments.

edited to say: well perhaps the first no is not actually the hardest of them all - but it's one of the hardest I'm sure.

Edited by Gingerbread
  • Like 1

Hi everyone this is my first ever posting. My daughter has a final at Elmhurst for the third year in a row. She is a RBS mid associate, was a JA too, but has never had a final there. She loves to dance and is always keen to audition. Just waiting for RBS letter this week.....! she is yr 8 hoping for a year 9 place. Love to read everyone's experiences on here. :)

• Like 3